I'm teaching a "class" on beginning Irish whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Magickdancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

I'm teaching a "class" on beginning Irish whistle!

Post by Magickdancer »

I have volunteered to teach a one-time beginning Irish whistle class in August, as part of the Northern California Renaissance Faire Institute (non-profit program of the faire), and was wondering if any of you had some tips or suggestions for me. I've never taught a whistle class, but I am a seasoned instructor in other areas - dance, art, face painting. I'm doing this with a larger group of instructors and demonstrators, who are exhibiting some of the old arts, crafts and industries of the renaissance period. Yes, I'll be in costume. :D It's for a home-school conference being held in Sacramento, California for those who know the area.

I get that I'll probably have to go over a little bit of music theory, but I don't think I'll get too much into actually reading music, because I want them to get playing as soon as possible, and for some it's easier to learn by ear anyway. I have the instruction book from Walton that I learned from a few years ago, which I thought was pretty thorough but easy to read, and I will probably use that as a guide. But, as far as a short song or phrase from a song, do you have any thoughts for something super simple? I don't want to turn off any of the teens or adults in the class, but I also want them to connect somewhat with the tune so they can remember it more easily.

I've also decided that to cut out the really small children, I'm asking that whoever takes the class must be able to cover all the holes on the D whistle easily. :wink:

Thanks for your ideas!

Kristen
Feadoggie

Re: I'm teaching a "class" on beginning Irish whistle!

Post by Feadoggie »

Sounds like some fun.

I've taught festival whistle workshops. It can be a real surprise on who shows up - kids vs. adults. Here are a couple of suggestions I would offer. Teaching by ear is preferable in my experience but have whistle tabs and notation available as a take away. Music theory is generally lost on these workshops and too time consuming in such a setting, in my experience. Maybe a discussion of the diatonic major scale is enough - do, re, me... But be prepared to answer questions. Go over the basics about how a whistle works, how to hold the whistle, how to cover the holes and how to blow to sound a note. Teach tunes everybody knows to start - nursery rhymes, children's songs, simple folk tunes. The better the crowd knows the tunes the faster they will catch on. Pick something that fits in the low register to start, then introduce the second octave. Avoid the upper half of the second octave if at all possible. Down by the Salley Gardens and Dawning of the Day are nice tunes to get into if things work out.

Will you be providing whistles? I started out using Sweetones since they had small holes, easy spacing and are quite child friendly. I later moved on to making and providing my own homemade whistles. For Ren Faires I call them Tudor Tooters (trademarked!) and used a Tudor Tooter Tutor, which I put together, to teach. In some classes we assembled the whistles before the playing began.

Have fun!

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Magickdancer

Post by Magickdancer »

Thanks! Those are great tips. I plan on giving away some paper booklets, and we are providing whistles. I bought some Generations in nickel and brass, and a couple of Megs. We are also offering the whistles for sale at the end, if someone gets the bug. Not for profit really, but if they are inspired, I want them to be able to keep playing. :D

I hadn't thought of other whistles that might have better spacing. I just thought those would work because of their sound. I'll have to remember that for future.

I love the idea of assembling the whistles in class, but I'm not inspired to make my own whistles. I'll certainly talk about that, though, if anyone asks.

Kristen
trill

Post by trill »

Feadoggie wrote: Teach tunes everybody knows to start
I'd like to second this notion and propose "Mary Had a Little Lamb" starting on B.

Rationale:
1) all notes are on one hand (top).
2) top holes are usually easier for newcomers than bottom holes.
3) it's only 3 notes - quick mastery [simply omit the high-d].

It might help to have the whole group sing it first.

Do you know how many will be in attendance ?

How much time will you have to present ?

Sounds like fun ! Good luck !

trill
Brent Lyons
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brent Lyons »

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" - Good, long song with few unique notes...
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
trill

Post by trill »

Magickdancer wrote:... I'm asking that whoever takes the class must be able to cover all the holes on the D whistle easily.
How will they know this if you're providing the whistles ? Are the whistles being distributed ahead of time ?

Also:Brent Lyons - what note does Twinkle start on ?

trill
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Magickdancer wrote:and was wondering if any of you had some tips or suggestions for me.

But, as far as a short song or phrase from a song, do you have any thoughts for something super simple? Kristen
I'm a newbie, so can't teach, but, I'd mention you glean tips from Phil Hardy's "tutorials" at Kerry Whistles (especially #1)
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/movie.php?groupID=48#

another website to glean tips from is Elizabeth Velez Urie, who does a lot of movie themes. You can find some short tips within her tutorials. http://www.youtube.com/user/inspirationalflute/featured

and trill, check out first tutorial for that twinkle note
MarcoTúlio

Post by MarcoTúlio »

Always inspire your students with a good gig first! :D

One thing that moves me is to see good inspirational tunes in YouTube or listen to good ITM like Mary Bergin, Joannie Maden and Brian Finnegan.

I hope one day to teach the whistle too, to make the learning of others easier :)

Good teaching and good Luck!
Magickdancer

Post by Magickdancer »

trill wrote:
Magickdancer wrote:... I'm asking that whoever takes the class must be able to cover all the holes on the D whistle easily.
How will they know this if you're providing the whistles ? Are the whistles being distributed ahead of time ?
trill
Yes, I will hand out the whistles before we start - I'll have about 12 or so... not sure if that will be enough, or just fine. Since this is a convention and people can just come sign up for the class, I don't know how many will come or what type of person will want to do the class, other than the home-schooling adults and perhaps children who are home-schooled. I will have a sample whistle at our table for sign-ups, so people can see what the instrument is, and if a child wants to take the class, make sure they can handle the holes. My husband is teaching a beginning bodhran class as well, so we hope to be playing together for a while beforehand, so people can see what they are going to learn, and/or get excited about it and sign up. It's all a new experience, but in a nice environment, I think. I'll keep it flexible, use the songs that were suggested here, and try not to throw in anything complicated like note-reading, unless someone asks later after the class.
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Magickdancer wrote:
trill wrote:
Magickdancer wrote:. I will have a sample whistle at our table for sign-ups, so people can see what the instrument is, and if a child wants to take the class, make sure they can handle the holes.
Make sure you bring alcohol wipes! That sample whistle WILL go into the mouth of every child that picks it up, guaranteed! :)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Brent Lyons

Post by Brent Lyons »

trill wrote:Also:Brent Lyons - what note does Twinkle start on ?
Trill: This was the first song that I learned on the whistle and I'm still traumatized by it...

X:1
T:Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
M:4/4
L:1/4
K:D
DDAA|BBA2|GGF#F#|EED2|
AAGG|F#F#E2|AAGG|F#F#E2|
DDAA|BBA2|GGF#F#|EED2||
...don't worry - that was just the rarely heard note of K flat. I meant to do that.
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

As for basic song I love London Bridge, and I think that covers all basic notes except maybe high D.
A B A G F#G A E F# G F# G A A B A G F# G A E A F# D
Good luck and have fun! :thumbsup:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Brent Lyons wrote:X:1
T:Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
M:4/4
L:1/4
K:D
DDAA|BBA2|GGF#F#|EED2|
AAGG|F#F#E2|AAGG|F#F#E2|
DDAA|BBA2|GGF#F#|EED2||
Just noting that those (F) #s are unnecessary. They're automatically covered by the key signature, or you can specify them with carets as ^F. Otherwise, a good ABC.
Brent Lyons wrote:This was the first song that I learned on the whistle and I'm still traumatized by it...
You need to seek Twinkle Twinkle therapy, fast! It's just down the hall from the Recorder Abuse support group. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

is there a clue in your class title? Is it an intro to whistle or intro to Irish whistle playiing? Would you not use something from the ITM repertoire as an introduction? Maybe ask if people know anything about ITM (and check if you have any seasoned players amongst them!). Maybe let people hear something played on the whistle, yourself or a recording of a simple march, jig, reel? Maybe a hornpipe, polka, slide? Just to show what to listen for and illustrate the link to dance, see if they can tap their feet (or their whistles) along with the strong beats in two different tune types. I'd skip music theory. If the class is small enough just try the 'copy me' method - kids are great at that. pick a tune (simple, with a reprise of something previous in the last line) break it right down, one note, three notes, four notes, think phrases, see how they get on by ear and eye. You probably only need one tune, have two or three prepared. Star of the County Down maybe?
Mark
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Feadoggie wrote: Tudor Tooter Tutor
:love: :thumbsup:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!