My Tin Whistle Learning YouTube Channel

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ghicken
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: My Tin Whistle Learning YouTube Channel

Post by ghicken »

For anyone who isn't aware of Bill Och's book, Oats and Beans and Barley grow is from Chapter Eight. Since slurring is in Chapter Nine, all of Bill's songs up to this point are tongued on the CD.

Marco, I think you are doing fine. After Chapter Ten the songs get more challenging. I recommend continuing to play all of the songs you learned as you move on to new songs. I noticed, since I'm ahead of you, that the songs focus a lot on particular finger patterns note for note. A good example is "What Shall We do with a Drunken Sailor" (Page 34.) In order to play it fast you will have to get good muscle memory with your fingers. It doesn't mean you have to stay there - it means that these songs need to remain as part of your practice. These take the place of boring finger exercises.

Venture out, but be aware of conflicts in how something is taught. Brother Steve has really good videos, but if Och's book is your primary learning source, don't veer of of Och's methods. Mixing can add confusion and take focus off of what it is you're trying to do. I am now taking Blayne Chastain's video courses. I've decided to make that my main learning source but I'll continue to learn songs from Och's book as well.

In six months or so, make another video of Oats and Beans and Barley grow. Everyone can watch both versions and hear how well you've improved.

Keep it up!
Gary

Post by MarcoTúlio »

Yeah German Whistler, "du bist richtig" :) , I think you are correct, I should be more patient and spent more time on each tune. I understand what you meant to say. Danke, for your helpfull reply!!

On the other hand, it's also funny to play all this six tune sequentially and improve them all the same time, as Mutepoite said, but I think that when I finnish lesson ten, I'll stop for awhile before entering on "The Tune" section and practice more the rhythm and I'll do some fingering exercises as well.

Mutepointe, I love cupboards, I've been collecting then for a long time. There are many of them from Germany, Uk, Hungry, Czech Republic, Austria.. All beer cupboards, that I like to put then whit some tape on my Closet, and I like to have my three beer bottles too.

Thank you too, Mr Ed, for your reply, it makes me very happy! :)

Hi, Angel Shadowsong, It is really an awesome book! Bill Ochs really knows how to teach music to us. One thing that I observed, is that he is very concerned to "teach" rhythm into your heart. :D I really encourage you to get it! About those songs you said, I really enjoy them, but for know I am more focous on the Ochs' book. Thank you for your reply.

Blaydo, as Ghicken said, all tunes for now on are whith tonguing. :D But I really appreciate tonguing when it is in the right place, as Matt Maloy and Brian Finnegan used to do. Finnegan is my biggest inspiration right now, I listen to The Ravishing Genius Of Bones all the time! :P I wonder one time to play all that cd...

Ghicken, Thank you a lot for this tip!! It is very boring indeed to do finger exercises, but we all know that it's fundamental. Some times, you know what your fingers have to do, but they just does not do it. Hahahaha Thank you both!

Again, thank you all!! Those tips whill certain help me a lot on my long jorney of learning the whistle. You guys are such a nice people, I am very greatful to know you all!

Have a nice friend day :D

Hugs from Brazil... Wow it's so cold here! Bzzzz! :P It's hard to play on this cold, your fingers just don't contract very well.
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

The Bill Ochs book has been a lot of fun while still challenging. It's been over a year and I'm still not in the ornamentation section of it. I did check out the cuts and strikes, which was a mistake. Being in a hurry to get into that stuff was a distraction from the much more important rhythm, phrasing, and getting the tunes under the fingers more. (Oh, and listening to the music.) Bill Ochs knows what he is doing and the progression of the lessons and tunes are in their order for a good reason. :oops:

I'm working on Kemp's Jig right now. (The section on the third octave won't be started until after hearing protection is purchased.) And still go back to the tunes from the lessons. Maybe I'm easily amazed, but once you get to the point of slurring the notes, I think you'll be amazed too at the variety that can be had in how you make the tune flow or swing. The Lyke Wake Dirge is a good example. It's a simple air, but when you start slurring and then go back to that tune... you can really play it pretty and not get bored with it.
MarcoTúlio wrote:I really appreciate tonguing when it is in the right place, as Matt Maloy and Brian Finnegan used to do. Finnegan is my biggest inspiration right now, I listen to The Ravishing Genius Of Bones all the time!
I've been watching a lot of Brian Finnegan on YouTube lately. His approach is interesting and I enjoy it. If you get the chance, check out some Micho Russell, Joanie Madden, and Mary Bergin too if you haven't already.
MarcoTúlio

Post by MarcoTúlio »

Hey Mr Ed! Your Reply really encouraged me! I read it all the time. I love how Bill Ochs can teach music! I'm in love with The WHISTLE :oops:

I recorded two more tunes, you can check it on my channel.

The Lewis Bridal Song
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos#/watch?v=ADJQfIA-gLg

The Cat's Jig
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos#/watch?v=1pGtSEM11hY

Thank you all C&F
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I started off with the Bill Ochs book....back in 1995.

I blasted through the lessons just as fast as I possibly could, and practiced for hours every day.

It took me a couple of years to really wring the last bits of wisdom I could out of the book...but in all honesty, I could have probably moved away from it after 12-18 months, and into something that exemplified more of the Irish style.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Wanderer wrote:It took me a couple of years to really wring the last bits of wisdom I could out of the book...but in all honesty, I could have probably moved away from it after 12-18 months, and into something that exemplified more of the Irish style.
Well, not all of us are as brilliant as you, Wanderer. :P
MarcoTúlio wrote:Hey Mr Ed! Your Reply really encouraged me!
Thanks! Glad a newbie like me could encourage another newbie. I'll check out your new tunes later. :D
Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

Congrats :) Marco and thank you for making your You Tube tin whistle learning channel. You are picking up the lesson very quickly. I have just started learning 2 weeks past and have posted my first lesson song my from my tutorial which is also Bill Och's for Clarke Whistle Company.

My first recording is Katie Bairdie from lesson 7 you can listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6AKzC3h9-A
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Marco,
I just checked out your video of The Lewis Bridal Song. You're doing good!
MarcoTúlio

Post by MarcoTúlio »

Hii Wanderer!! Thank you for the encouragement!! I really dream with the day that I'll play like Bergin or Finnegan...I'm not sure that it's possible, but it doesn't hurt to try. :D

I'm not in hurry to finish the book, but I think that I'll take 2 or 3 years to "finish" it, but the learning processes just never end and I'm ok with that. Hahaha :boggle:

Mr Ed!!! Thank you again for supporting me! When finishing the lesson ten I'll make a Pout pourri of all the previous tunes. Hahaha. That will be very hard! :P

Hii Jleo Fipple!! Very welcome to the YouTube world, it's really a vice to record the tunes, you'll develop it! Hahaha

Thank you again Mr Ed, Wanderer and Jleo Fipple
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Mr Ed wrote: Well, not all of us are as brilliant as you, Wanderer. :P
Well, that wasn't exactly what I was trying to say, especially since I don't feel that I'm an especially brilliant tinwhistle player. ;) I was trying (and failing) to say something more along the lines of "The Ochs book is a great starting resource, but I think it only takes you so far..."

MarcoTúlio wrote:Hii Wanderer!! Thank you for the encouragement!! I really dream with the day that I'll play like Bergin or Finnegan...I'm not sure that it's possible, but it doesn't hurt to try. :D
Yeah, I often have those same kind of dreams myself. I fear that I'll never be able to devote the kind of time to it that true virtuosity demands. *sigh*
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

Wanderer wrote:
Mr Ed wrote: Well, not all of us are as brilliant as you, Wanderer. :P
Well, that wasn't exactly what I was trying to say, especially since I don't feel that I'm an especially brilliant tinwhistle player. ;) I was trying (and failing) to say something more along the lines of "The Ochs book is a great starting resource, but I think it only takes you so far..."
I get ya. Just had to be a wise guy.
I hope to live long enough for Bill Ochs' book to be considered a starting resource. Over a year into it and I'm still not in the ornamentation section. These little holey pipes are a different beast than the bass. Playing something melodic that is also supposed to make people want to dance is fun though. :)
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

Hi Marco

where are you? still away from your whistle? or just practicing ;-) ?

anyway, i did order this book today too
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
MarcoTúlio

Post by MarcoTúlio »

Hallo GW, Wie Geht's? :D

I'm with my whistle now!! I'll Never let it Again... It's not so difficult to travel with and with your silent mode it will be perfect to play anywhere! :lol:

Ach, I'll make my new Katie video tomorrow.. My vacation ends on Monday... I realize now that it's time to start my Med School, buut I'll try to keep learning the Whistle. I really think it will not be so harsh to conciliate them...

I truly missed you guys!!!! It's good to come back! :thumbsup:
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

MarcoTúlio wrote:Hallo GW, Wie Geht's? :D

I'm with my whistle now!! I'll Never let it Again... It's not so difficult to travel with and with your silent mode it will be perfect to play anywhere! :lol:

Ach, I'll make my new Katie video tomorrow.. My vacation ends on Monday... I realize now that it's time to start my Med School, buut I'll try to keep learning the Whistle. I really think it will not be so harsh to conciliate them...

I truly missed you guys!!!! It's good to come back! :thumbsup:

hey you speak german?

well you have been missed too ;-)

i did leave my whistle at home when i had to go to the hospital, just some days, maybe, 2 weeks or less, after i started ... and i missed it a lot (hehe even during the operation - under drugs - i did tell the people around, that i miss my whistle and that i could play some nice music if i would have it, i did sing instead, and this must have been so impressional that the whole hospital did know about it the next day ;-.), i was asked if i was the one singing, .. damn i had fun under those drugs, what if i just would have had a whistle there with me ;-.))

so when i had to go into the hospital again some weeks later, i took it with me, good that i already had the parks at that time, cause i was able to play it in my room and no one did hear it and or was disturbed

i got the parks for that reason, to take it with me everywhere, cause its smal (in 3 pieces) its durable its washable...and its quiet if it has to be, i would recomment such a whistle to everyone, also to u cause u asked in another thread about a new whistle, (anyway i would recomment to get a little collection of the cheapies too, waltons, generations, clarke, ...its nice to have several and a choice of sound)

but did u know that u can make every whistle silent if u just close the windway on the top? (just search in the forum u will get informations)...well you will have to stick someting on it and maybe it leaves some sticky-rests... but its a possible way

or if u dont want to make noise just blow OVER the mouthpeace, (close the mouthpeace by pressing it against your lips and blow over it, that way you blow into the exit from the wrong way ) at least the first octave u can play that way and its nice for practice

take timne with your new katie bairdie version, dont rush through it ;-)
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
MarcoTúlio

Post by MarcoTúlio »

Ich spreche wenig Deutsch! Hhahah

My german is very rusty, I can't say that I speak it properly.. Hahahah