Musician wanted to join in busking (Munster area)

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
losoc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Musician wanted to join in busking (Munster area)

Post by losoc »

Hi,
I am a Classical singer, I've gone busking a few times this summer and although I've been really happy with the results and peoples feedback etc, it is a little uncomfortable being a girl out there alone. I'm looking for someone to join forces with for moral support. I've been singing very light cross/over classical songs and also folk songs.
It would be great to find someone to play with but would also be great to have another busker there, taking turns performing etc. I am interested in lots of kinds of music (not just classical). If you are in a similar situation please get in touch :-)
email: losoc@yahoo.co.uk
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Musician wanted to join in busking (Munster area)

Post by MTGuru »

Hi, welcome.

I gather that you're located in Limerick? So the Munster area means Ireland, not Germany. :-)

Good luck in your quest!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I busk in St. Louis. Perhaps I could commute to Munster one week, you might come here the next. I play flute and whistles
and love to accompany singers. Perhaps you could say why it's uncomfortable being a girl out there alone?
Are people bothering you or trying to pick you up or .....? Perhaps there is a way to arrange things so that
whatever the problem is is solved. Or maybe you just need to get used to busking. It does take some
getting used to. I've seen female classical singers busking in the USA and they seemed to be doing OK.
If there is no real problem, maybe getting used to busking is the answer. If there is a real problem,
if you tell us what it is, maybe we can give practical suggestions.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I could commute to Munster one week, you might come here the next.
One hell of a commute you're committing to there Jim.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jim stone wrote:Perhaps you could say why it's uncomfortable being a girl out there alone?
You're seriously asking this?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Maybe Jim has never been to Limerick?
My brain hurts

losoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by losoc »

Hi,
I've only gone busking a few times, and always with my sister. There have been one or 2 occasions when i thought there was someone hanging about, keeping an eye on my takings. I've had a look on busking sites and often people say how much fun busking is and then in the same sentance outline that getting mugged in part of the process???? Not exactly positive feedback. what have your experiances been like, am i over reacting or is this simply the way things are?? to be honest i look quite harmless and maybe a soft target. I'd really like to get cracking at it when the weather improves but also dont want to be foolish and put myself in a bad position. Any advise???
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

losoc wrote:I've only gone busking a few times, and always with my sister.
Busking with others is always a good idea, particularly for a woman. If you're comfortable with busking alone, then you should feel free to do so. But trust your gut, absolutely. Better to wonder if you're not being a bit silly about it than to have to face a bad situation for ignoring your misgivings. Either way, keep an easy command of your space.
losoc wrote:There have been one or 2 occasions when i thought there was someone hanging about, keeping an eye on my takings.
It's always something to be aware of.
losoc wrote:I've had a look on busking sites and often people say how much fun busking is and then in the same sentance outline that getting mugged in part of the process???? Not exactly positive feedback.
Saying that getting mugged is "part of the process" is idiotic, and no advice to speak of. They deserve no thanks from you. If you stand any risk, it will depend a lot on the venue you choose. Some venues are simply not good ideas at all, but it doesn't take much to think that out if you know the turf.
losoc wrote:what have your experiances been like, am i over reacting or is this simply the way things are?? to be honest i look quite harmless and maybe a soft target. I'd really like to get cracking at it when the weather improves but also dont want to be foolish and put myself in a bad position. Any advise???
First of all you need to be informed as to the city's busking ordinances; some cities are busker-friendly, while others are not. You may have to get a permit. Whether you wish to defy ordinances is on you. As for looking to safe venues, if you don't know the city, you need to talk to veteran buskers of the city you plan to busk in. They will know, and help you out if they don't feel you're horning in on their patch. The police, or a liaison, should be able to give you very reliable info as well should you need it.

My own busking has been limited to Minneapolis, which is a very busker-friendly town with reasonable prohibitions (like not parking yourself on private property without permission, or being an obstacle to regular foot traffic; sensible stuff like that), and my experiences have been pretty uneventful, but then I don't go to dodgy spots to do it, either. I would suggest shaded locations if the sun's out (definitely), and areas where people are relaxed and enjoying themselves, such as a park or a scenic bridge. Farmers' markets are good. Having a lot of people around won't necessarily mean a lot of interest, much less a big take, if they're all busy and task-oriented, such as hurrying to or from lunch break on a work day.

Hope that's a start. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If you do it at all, you need to do it with confidence. Finding a good spot is crucial, one that has a good flow of the sort of audience that would appreciate your music, decent acoustics so the sound you make doesn't immediately disappears into the open space, avoid areas with traffic (and other) noise. That sort of thing.

If you're playing in Limerick maybe the Milkmarket on the saturday (or any day they have market not sure what they are) could be a good spot for example.

Make sure you collect your takings in something that isn't easily picked up and run away with. Empty your takings when they build up a bit but never start on empty, put in a bit of seed money. For some reason people don't like to put money if there's nothing there yet.

Make eye contact with your audience, don't hide away, smile and be (or at least look) happy. At the same time keep an eye out for potential trouble, don't shy away, it will make you look vulnerable but avoid confrontation if you can. Use a bit of common sense.
My brain hurts

fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Excellent advice from Mr Gumby there. I second it all. Acoustics is crucial . I have in fact suggested She meet up with a friend who sings Sean nós regularly in the Milk Market, I thought the 2 lassies could get a small set together for fun and companionship.
A funny story;I recall many years ago busking in Cork with my whistle, a couple of dodgy characters approached, one said 'ould I play the lonesome boatman' while breathing whisky fumes all over me. I replied' if ye stand over there.' They did, after the tune was over he came over with a euro in his hand bent over to put it in and grabbed the hat and ran off! Well the fecker chose the wrong person to rob! Me in my running shoes , a boxer/wrestler , and non smoker.... Anyhow to cut a long story short , I caught him, persuaded him to to return hat and money .... but just as we separated his mate turned up. So I figured that If I turned my back they would support each other and have a go, so I went straight up to his mate, right in his face and asked if he wanted trouble too, he declined rapidly. :D
When I got back to my pitch all the other buskers were there chatting, I got a cheer and round of applause! He could have picked on anyone, the lass with the harp would have been stuck. I think he might have learned a lesson there. Hope so.
I think Thats ther only time it happened in 25 yrs of playing on the street regularly. Im a bit more pro-acative now as a result. A hard gaze can work wonders. :-)
But Im sure the milkmarket is a safe place to sing :) Just be aware examine everyone and let them see they are being watched. Awareness is the key to it and not living in denial.

My biggest pleasure as a busker, even more rewarding than notes, :D is the old Ladies who smile and say I made their day. That makes my day.
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs