A Scientific Whistle Study

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Are you a former Saxophonist turned Whistler??

Poll ended at Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:32 pm

Yes
31%
Yes
No votes
Yes
No votes
No
69%
No
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 62

Isilwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Scientific Whistle Study

Post by Isilwen »

Ok. Based on a comment in another thread, it got my scientific brain to thinking.

Just how many of us are Saxophone players turned Whistlers??

Please vote in the poll (will only go for 3 weeks)and stay tuned for the complete report!

Thanks!
~Isilwen Elanessë
Last edited by Isilwen on Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I voted "yes", but I'm not a former sax player because it's still my main instrument. So maybe the poll doesn't have enough options? From the poll, either you're an ex-sax player "converted" to whistles, or you're not.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

already mentioned this previously in another thread, but yes I played baritone sax for 7 years in school, then didn't play any instruments for a couple of years and finally "discovered" the whistle (and only later trad. Irish music).

The funny (or not so funny, really) thing is in 7 years of playing bari sax I don't ever remember running out of breath, and after 4 years of whistle playing I still don't have the breathing thing down to my satisfaction.

-brett
Paul

Post by Paul »

erm... I only voted yes because I played Tenor Sax in the high school band and that was like... 20 years ago :roll: . I haven't thought of it in years. Band. I don't think it directly led me to the whistle, but now that I think about it, maybe my fingers got their first whistle training back then on the sax.
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

I too played baritone sax for a number of years. I always tell people they pick the sax player with the least talent to play bari.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I still think we need to find out why....any suggestions for reasons? Sax is too loud and disturbs the neighbors? Jazz is less repetitious than Irish Trad, and I like repetition? Too many keys on the sax? My lower lip got a traumatic cyst from the constant biting? I'm allergic to bamboo (or whatever reeds are made of)? We gotta get this next poll right, and get some data!

Robin
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Thanks for the suggestions, Robin. I was intending this to be the first in a 'series' of 'questionnaires' for this Scientific study. :)

As to the subject heading of the poll, yes, people who still play sax in addition to whistle should vote yes. I still play my Alto on a regular basis, but I am pretty much 'converted' to whistle.

Is that clearer?
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

:roll: Sometimes I hate technology!!! Now I just messed up my poll, and I need to delete two of the options... *sigh* Ok, how do you edit a poll??
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Isilwen

OKOKOK!!!

Post by Isilwen »

AAARGH!! How come it keeps adding options in when I DON'T WANT TO ADD OPTIONS IN!?!?! grrr!

Ok, people, just ignore the other Yes's and No's. Voting on the first one of each is fine.

*sigh* I really hate technology.
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I'm a yes man here. Sax is really one of the easiest instruments to play, and the whistle is easier yet. Similar fingering concept (minus accidentals), easier mouth work, and the rest is history....very quick to pick up the whistle. Plus, with a whistle you've got things cheaper, smaller, and quieter.

Jef

PS I've still looking for the button I bought in high school that proclaimed "The Joy of Sax." My mom was thoroughly disgusted by it ... she claims she didn't throw it out, but I gotta wonder.... ;)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well, I started on clarinet (clarionette to those in the know), which is ancestor of the Sax.
Reasonable person
Walden
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I played alto saxophone at one time. But, believe it or not, my first saxophone was an extremely crummy C-melody. Ane that reminds me. I have bought some early jazz recordings on a label called Dreyfus Jazz. If you like that sort of thing and can find this series of reissues, check them out. The one of which I was reminded was Bix Beiderbecke because C-melody saxophonist Frank Trambauer is on it.

Steve
Last edited by SteveK on Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Does it count if your Dad played sax? :roll:
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I played sax in high school as well, tenor and bari (I agree with whoever says they pick the least talented to play bari). I still have my tenor sax, but haven't played in, oh, 15 years or so, since I don't have a mouthpiece (makes it a little difficult to play). I really liked playing the sax even though I wasn't very good at it.

Beth
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

As I mentioned before, I still own a beautiful Conn underslung Alto 'ladyface' dated 1935.I bought it from a woman who told me she used to play in an all-girl band(I remember that the original mouthpiece was 'gunged up' with lipstick!).I gradually taught myself a play.My original interest was jazz,from that I got more into blues for a while,though I'd always listened to a range of music. I guess that jazz is really a 'group art' and I sort of drifted away from the local scene(which at the time,mainly my 20's, was 'Trad./Dixieland anyway-Kind of strange but I did play in a Trad. 'practice band' for a while,though I was mainly listening to Monk,Mingus,Trane,'Free jazz',LOVE South African Jazz with it's Kwela influences!).Didn't play any music for a long,long time.Picked up whistle,mainly because of it's(deceptive) 'simplicity'-I wanted something 'straightforward',was sick of mucking about with reeds etc. etc. After two years, I now find myself ordering a set of Uilleann Pipes! :o (maybe a return to sax would have been easier! :lol: ).
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."