What are you doing this St. Patrick's?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, now I have a gig for Sunday eve at some corporate event in a toney hotel in MPLS...I just knew this would happen. 'Til then, I'll be tearing my hair out until I land a bodhrán player on the fly. Not too worried, though. :)

N
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Turner wrote:I would also like to hear weekender play, but its a bit too far away :(

Tell me weekender are there gonna be freedom fries served up at the interval? :P

Blackhawk, do you deliver presents on the 25th December by any chance?
That depends, Turner. Have you been a good little boy? :D
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I was asked by the pub owner where I play to get something together for St Patrick's Day. Against my own better judgement, I contacted some people to get together for an unrehearsed show. They told me to make the set list, which I did. Of course, I'm the only one who knows all the tunes, so I am expected to hold the thing together while the others blend in and out. Talk about pressure. People from work and my family are planning on showing up. If any of you are in the area, come to McGrath's Irish Pub, 1539 Lincoln Ave, Alameda Ca. (near Oakland) We start about 730pm. I'm going to venture a couple of my favorite slow airs and I'm going to crank up on Dublin Reel/Wind that Shakes the Barley and Jolly Tinker/Bucks of Oranmore. The rest will be done at a civilized pace. So, no rehearsals...hmmm...

The Sunday before, I'll play a slow air, Lament of the 3 Marys, after communion at mass, and for the recessional? when everyone parades out, I'll do Lord Inchiquin and Dennis Murphy's Slide. No one has heard what I'm playing. I think the slide at the end will raise some eyebrows. :)

I'm also playing solo at my sister's house Sunday after the corned beef/cabbage set. I had invited some people to join me at my sister's behest, but they all bailed, so it's solo time. (A good opportunity to rehearse my Monday pub set!)-yes, I've been practicing.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

TonyHiggins wrote:
The Sunday before, I'll play a slow air, Lament of the 3 Marys, after communion at mass, and for the recessional?
Is that the same tune as the Keening of the 3 Marys?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Probably I'll recite "St. Patrick's Breastplate."
Reasonable person
Walden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

blackhawk wrote:That sounds like a great tradition, Paul. Are whistles played at all in Jewish folk music?
They are the way I play it....
Actually, a lot of Jewish/Yiddish is tough on the whistle since it is played in modes containing a lot of extra sharps and flats. This may be one reason the recorder is so popular in Israel, since it is completely chromatic.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

blackhawk wrote:That sounds like a great tradition, Paul.
Oh, I forgot to mention the costume idea I had for Purim... I am going to ask one of my Policeman patients if we can borrow his Police jacket, and I will dress as a Cop arresting my wife Char who will be wearing a Give Peace a Chance T- Shirt. That incident of a man getting arrested for such a shirt in a mall occurred right near our congregation....
Got wood?
madguy

Post by madguy »

My wife and I will likely watch The Quiet Man (it's on all weekend around here), enjoy a quiet meal together to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary, and then it's off to work for me.

~Larry
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:Can't you get your shofar to drive you home, Paul?
Hey-- quit trying to horn into this thread!
Very funny Roger-- that one made my day
Got wood?
Turner

Post by Turner »

blackhawk wrote: That depends, Turner. Have you been a good little boy? :D
Right that does it, Iam leaving the fire on this year! :D

Walden:
Why would St Patrick wear a breast plate? Did he have large breasts?
Seth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

St. Pat's

Post by Seth »

Hey Guys,

My band is playing the Dubliner in St. Paul this year with a few other phenomenal bands. 6-9 on Sunday and from 3-9 on Monday. I have no idea how we're going to pull out six hours of music without needing hospitalization afterwards, but we'll do what we can.
Nanohedron wrote:No gigs this year; the fellow I usually do the St. Paddy's debacle thing with is recovering from a sprung back. Darn...good money, too. Sooo...maybe the Sunday session at Keegan's, Monday at Molly Quinn's. Depends on how unruly the party animals get, you know? :roll:

Otherwise I usually avoid Irish pubs during this time.

Nanohedron MacGrinch

BTW Nanohedron, I believe that the Sunday session at Keegan's is cancelled for a Reve Du Faun show, but I'm not sure. Other then St. Patrick's Day you can see my band there every Monday.

Seth
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Is that the same tune as the Keening of the 3 Marys?
I haven't heard of the tune by that name, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were the same tune. I learned my version from 110 Ireland's Best Slow Airs book (and have listened to one or two versions on cd's)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

THIS St. Patricks? Hanging around the house watching my kids, probably. Big fun in the city! Although the local library did advertise "Irish music, free 7:30", so I may drag them to that and see what it's all about.

Robin
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

I <i>won't</i> be doing what <a href="http://www.theonion.com/onion3909/irish-americans.html" target="_blank">The Onion</a> suggests.

Repeat after me -- Irish beer is BLACK.

Fatveg.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

On Sunday the CEG group will be playing a special St. Patricks day Mass.
CEG= Contemporay Ensemble Group. Not KEG... :)

On the 17th, CEG will get together to practice for Easter. We have decided to extend St. Patricks celebration to Friday the 21st for the official 21 and over KEG party.

Happy St. Pattys Day to all you fine folks!

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.