Any opinion on this maker?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Axeman

Any opinion on this maker?

Post by Axeman »

Hi everyone.
I wonder if any of you have tried Tim Adams flutes and in that case, what did you think of them? He's a maker in southern Sweden and he makes very decently priced flutes and judging from the sound clips on his web site they sound very good. Has anyone tried them?
Best regards
Mattias
dunnp
antispam: No

Re: Any opinion on this maker?

Post by dunnp »

tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The 'ScaleChanger' plugs are pretty clever looking. Pop an insert in two holes, and B become Bb and F# becomes Fnat.
There's more about them in this article (English starts on p. 4): http://www.adams.se/flute/IMSOS_Bladet_Nr_2_2012.pdf
MeMyselfandI

Post by MeMyselfandI »

I haven't tried one, and don't think I know anyone who has, but I think I will soon be getting one! I'll let you know about it if I get one.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

From a maker's perspective, I wonder how he can make them, including a wooden case, for 150 euros. In the article it says he needs about 20 hours for a flute, so 150€ / 20 is an hourly wage of 7.50€ and materials and tooling haven't been paid yet...
Toon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Toon »

That sounds cheap indeed. but what matters is: are they any good?

I'm going over to Sweden for the holidays in a few weeks with the wife and kids.
If I can find the time, I'll sure make a stop in Malmö.

I'm just a beginner on the flute, so I can't give any professional opinion about the full tonal possibilities.
All I can do is looking at how they are made and how the sound and play.
Nevertheless, I might enjoy them so much I'll take one home with me.
If they sound and play nice, you cant go wrong for that price.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Gabriel wrote:From a maker's perspective, I wonder how he can make them, including a wooden case, for 150 euros. In the article it says he needs about 20 hours for a flute, so 150€ / 20 is an hourly wage of 7.50€ and materials and tooling haven't been paid yet...
Well it helps to have a all wood flute, it is a lot faster and cheaper to make. That is a good price!
Oops, there are metal rings, my bad...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Gabriel wrote:From a maker's perspective, I wonder how he can make them, including a wooden case, for 150 euros. In the article it says he needs about 20 hours for a flute, so 150€ / 20 is an hourly wage of 7.50€ and materials and tooling haven't been paid yet...
'Tim Adams Irish Flutes will be priced strategically during 2012 because I want them out there in the sessions showing their true value.'

?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

The fact that Adams offers a 100% refund guarantee on the cost of the flute is a real confidence booster.

I would like one of these flutes with a removable plug at the bottom below the sixth hole, preferable operated with a silver key like a baroque traverso.

Wait - it would be a baroque traverso then :)
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Peter Duggan wrote:
'Tim Adams Irish Flutes will be priced strategically during 2012 because I want them out there in the sessions showing their true value.'

?
The writing on Tim Adams' website reminds me of some of the flute ads on ebay. Anyway, it's comforting to know that his flutes are easy to put together.

I know, I know, you can't judge a book by its cover.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Tonehole wrote:Wait - it would be a baroque traverso then :)
Not without further mods (tiny holes, more-or-less chromatic cross-fingered capability, different embouchure etc.)...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Tonehole

Post by Tonehole »

That's true. Best not to fix what's not broken!

Does anyone know what the qualities of the woods are? I've heard of Padouk and enjoy its sound...the others are new to me.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I do like the simplistic design. As far as the price, if he starts getting good word of mouth I'd bet money that the price will quickly go up. It's probably just an introductory "get my foot in the door" price.
I watched the youtube clips on the site. To my ears, the high a and b sound a bit unstable, borderline screechy. That could just be a flaw with his embouchure (or the recording equipment, or my ears). I'll be interested to see any future reviews.
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Thomaston wrote:I do like the simplistic design. As far as the price, if he starts getting good word of mouth I'd bet money that the price will quickly go up. It's probably just an introductory "get my foot in the door" price.
I watched the youtube clips on the site. To my ears, the high a and b sound a bit unstable, borderline screechy. That could just be a flaw with his embouchure (or the recording equipment, or my ears). I'll be interested to see any future reviews.
That's basically true, as he says that he just wants to get some flutes out there, and already has a job that pays the bills.

I have played a whole bunch of them and provided my input for improvements, but since I'm pretty much a raw beginner, and my flute playing really started out with my trying out his flutes, and for what that's worth, I can only say that I like them. But then again, I haven't played many other flutes.

From what he told me when we spoke a few weeks ago, he will be cutting back on the number of wood types available and stick to what works, as I played a one or two that really didn't seem to be fit for instrument making, in that they were soaking up a lot of moisture and such. His latest blackwood flute (which I think is already sold) and the purple heart flute featured on the website really did sound good to me, even with me playing them, however.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Padauk isn't a good flute wood, it has to be heavily treated due to its porousness.

Anyway, we'll see what happens...if he really keeps those low prices and the flutes prove to be good his instruments might be a good alternative for people in europe wanting inexpensive wooden flutes. Even those pakistani table legs are more expensive over here...

Edit: he updated his site today:
The price should be right - June 22, 2012
I believe that a quality wooden folk flute can be priced at a third of a low monthly salary in the developed world. I think that is a fair deal.
So it seems that the flutes aren't available for 150€ anymore. As a side note, I find his believing a bit one-sided. There are makers who don't have "regular" day jobs that pay the bills...and who need to calculate a real price for their flutes, not a "it's my hobby and I don't really need that flutemaking job" price. So those makers aren't playing fair or what?