Kitchen and food impliments you can see no reason to own

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Kitchen and food impliments you can see no reason to own

Post by mutepointe »

I do own a small charcoal grill. One of my brothers gave it to me probably 10 years ago. He was freaked out too. I never opened the box. When we go camping, we go minimal. If you can't cook it on a stick, don't cook it. I have on occasion cooked a side of ribs in foil while camping but even those, I finished on a stick to get a nice glaze. I know people with propane grills, I go to their homes for cookouts. I do not like carrying things camping. I do not like cleaning outside things.

I go back to my deeper Neanderthal roots.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oh, you didn't say that earlier. Campfires are way legit. You're good to go. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Angel Shadowsong
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Angel Shadowsong »

An Egg Separator like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTExsYgAd0

warning...extremely gross video and extremely annoying presenter. :lol:
Quote by Zig Ziglar: “Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation”
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I might have to actually get one of those. It's enthralling in a really gross way. Kids'll love it. Mom, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Not a kitchen gadget, but my vacuum cleaner is "self-propelled", which is apparently a selling point these days. What's up with that? Does anyone vacuum by going ONLY FORWARD? Self-propelled means it goes forward by itself and you have to fight it to make it go backward.

I tried to think of a kitchen gadget I own but that I don't use. Couldn't think of one. Okay, I don't use the corn holders, but my wife and daughter both do. I would never use a deep fryer, but that's just because I don't deep fry, not because I think there's no point.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Nanohedron wrote:I might have to actually get one of those. It's enthralling in a really gross way. Kids'll love it. Mom, too.
Pre-teenage boys will take up cooking in numbers we have never seen before. Or at least take up egg seperating.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I might have to actually get one of those. It's enthralling in a really gross way. Kids'll love it. Mom, too.
Pre-teenage boys will take up cooking in numbers we have never seen before. Or at least take up egg seperating.
That's just it - normally I have no call whatsoever to separate eggs. This could induce me to take up baking just for the theater of it.
dwest

Post by dwest »

We use to cook food coated with mud in a open fire , good stuff. I found it curious that few young human males actually enjoyed that concept.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Too real, I guess.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Few old people would go for that too. Raccoons of all ages wouldn't go for that. I've seen salt crusted foods cooked that way. I've never tasted that but I don't think that would appeal to me either.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Himalayan salt slabs.. I have seen these salt-lick-turned-griddle in a local grocery store next to the ceder planks. I'll stick with my cast iron and a salt shaker.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mor.whistle

Post by mor.whistle »

mutepointe wrote:I've seen salt crusted foods cooked that way. I've never tasted that but I don't think that would appeal to me either.
Salt crusted meat for instance turns out very tender and naturally tasting (unless spiced but usually it is not), almost as if it was steamed, but drier and generally ideal to complement a large meal with a lesser toll on already proven stomachs.

Next time try it, it is not the best in the world, but can't be said to be distasteful either. ;)

As for kitchen tools I can live without, check this (hopefully I didn't miss if anyone already posted it):

As an avid apple eater I not once but twice bought this thing and both times immediately regret it (however cheap were they).

I found it inefficient in getting the job done and unpractical to use. Also not that easy to clean.
I'll be on the road for quite some time, maybe through the spring and summer, but I'll have a few whistles and a Low D with me.
See you on my return, hopefully closer to be a player.

My tune's thread, just in case.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

dwest wrote:We use to cook food coated with mud in a open fire , good stuff. I found it curious that few young human males actually enjoyed that concept.
You are doing it wrong. Find a local 5 star restaurant, contact the chef, say that you have a special cooking mud from sacred land (isn't it all?), show them the special way of preparing the food, and profit by selling them mud from that swamp connected to your back yard.

I can see it now...
Today we'll be serving you blue crab cooked in a rosemary garlic mud...
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

ah, but is the blue crab sacred too?

I just bought these at Wal-Mart. Never saw them before. Haven't tasted them but they were less than $1.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote:
dwest wrote:We use to cook food coated with mud in a open fire , good stuff. I found it curious that few young human males actually enjoyed that concept.
You are doing it wrong. Find a local 5 star restaurant, contact the chef, say that you have a special cooking mud from sacred land (isn't it all?), show them the special way of preparing the food, and profit by selling them mud from that swamp connected to your back yard.

I can see it now...
Today we'll be serving you blue crab cooked in a rosemary garlic mud...
Somebody has already beat me to it, blast! I coulda been an entrepreneur! Beggar's chicken, recipe is about 7000yrs old. Swamp mud is too peaty, everything ends up tasting like a single malt. :o