Kitchen and food impliments you can see no reason to own

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Kitchen and food impliments you can see no reason to own

Post by I.D.10-t »

Never heard of an Aga. It would be neat if they could pair it up with an absorption refrigerator some how.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

emmline wrote: I don't have a range hood. We don't do icky splattery greasy meaty things.
I wish that our range hood vented to the outside. Instead, I have to go outside when my wife decides that she is going to fry up two pounds of sausage at one time. She is on an Adkins diet, and meat protein seems to be the essential part of the diet. When I lived by myself, I hardly ever fried anything, and I never used the oven. Marriage has required an adjustment. Now, I'm the one who cleans the greasy skillets and stove top.
dwest

Post by dwest »

benhall.1 wrote:
dwest wrote:I put up a fair amount of stuff in the freezer so a microwave is convenient for defrosting and/or heating up previously made meals.
Yes, I put up a lot of stuff in the feezer as well. I heat it up in the Aga.
I don't have an Aga, I do have a Rumford which does a great job with Dutch ovens in the winter, if we ever get them again. Bet I could find an Aga here for only 6 or 8...thousand US dollars. My $89.00 microwave will heat up a previously cooked meal in just a few minutes after we get home from work around 8 or 9 pm. Seems like a good deal. No need to heat the house up with the Garland when there is a 37°C degree heat index outside.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

mutepointe wrote:My Mom gave me one of these a long time ago. I have a spare ready to go if something happens to this one. I just found out it's called a "Flame Tamer". It diffuses the heat from a burner and prevents scorching.
We use to use something called a scorch buster. When we moved, we found that the new range did not need it, but it still useful for camping.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

dwest wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:
dwest wrote:I put up a fair amount of stuff in the freezer so a microwave is convenient for defrosting and/or heating up previously made meals.
Yes, I put up a lot of stuff in the feezer as well. I heat it up in the Aga.
I don't have an Aga, I do have a Rumford which does a great job with Dutch ovens in the winter, if we ever get them again. Bet I could find an Aga here for only 6 or 8...thousand US dollars. My $89.00 microwave will heat up a previously cooked meal in just a few minutes after we get home from work around 8 or 9 pm. Seems like a good deal. No need to heat the house up with the Garland when there is a 37°C degree heat index outside.
Yes, but it puts ... all ... radiation Image all over the food. I don't want radiation all over my food.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

THROUGH the food. It gets on the inside too. MMMMmmmm!

My sister sang the praises of her new Microwave oven. "It makes scrambled eggs in just a minute!" she said. She insisted on making us scrambled eggs. She likes hers runny. I like mine stiff. It took a long time. Apart from that, I like Microwave Ovens. They heat up rice nicely. And they heat up the plates nicely too.

Anything that takes longer to clean than to use, falls into the category of "Gadget" to my way of thinking.

"Sandwich toaster" is a case in point. Stick the sandwich under the grill, in foil if you must.

"Garlic press". Even with a good stiff brush, those things are hard to clean. You can crush garlic with a blunt knife or a spatula.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I.D.10-t wrote:
mutepointe wrote:My Mom gave me one of these a long time ago. I have a spare ready to go if something happens to this one. I just found out it's called a "Flame Tamer". It diffuses the heat from a burner and prevents scorching.
We use to use something called a scorch buster. When we moved, we found that the new range did not need it, but it still useful for camping.
What's up with your new range that you don't need one anymore?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It has better control over the flame, different burner sizes, the range grate is made out of cast iron rather than stamped sheet metal, but I think that the main thing is that the distance from the flame and the top of the range grate is higher and therefore further than the flame.

Unfortunately a range is not one of those things you can test if you buy one, and over the past 10 years I have used 5 different stoves that came with the places and had no real control over what they were.
dwest

Post by dwest »

benhall.1 wrote:
Yes, but it puts ... all ... radiation Image all over the food. I don't want radiation all over my food.
OMG! The Sun! The Sun! Don't go out in the Sun! Radiation! Yikes! Tinfoil hat, where'd I put it?

BTW microwaves are easy to clean, put a cup of water in the oven, heat to boiling, let it sit for five minutes(ya don't even have to watch it), open door and wipe out interior with wash towel, an immensely useful thing I might add. If the implication is that microwaving somehow changes the food creating toxins and carcinogens that belief is not supported by any science.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

You don't sell the things, do you, dwest? :)

Anyway, I don't trust them, so there.
dwest

Post by dwest »

benhall.1 wrote:You don't sell the things, do you, dwest? :)

Anyway, I don't trust them, so there.
Nothing wrong with not trusting them, but the way electromagnetic radiation is used in microwave ovens poses no hazard to food safety. How about them cell phones, laptops, iPads? Need a pierogi press?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Many kitchen toys I have no need for along with some other things.

Unitasker Wednesday
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

dwest wrote:Need a pierogi press?
Pierogi should be pressed shut by hand. That's unnatural.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

dwest wrote:OMG! The Sun! The Sun! Don't go out in the Sun! Radiation! Yikes! Tinfoil hat, where'd I put it?
Nobody gets out alive!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:"Garlic press". Even with a good stiff brush, those things are hard to clean. You can crush garlic with a blunt knife or a spatula.
Another voice of reason. BTW, if you want fresh garlic puree, a ceramic ginger grater is pretty hard to beat for doing the job. And they're dead-easy to clean.

This model - similar enough to mine - also has a silicone ring foot, so it doesn't slide around. Nice.

Nothing's perfect, of course, but you develop a system. I pretty much use mine mainly for garlic. I may even use it for ginger some day. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician