B flat Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dreamer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

B flat Whistle

Post by Dreamer »

I have been learning the fife and I am thinking about getting a B flat whistle so I will know what the tune should sound like. Right now I am looking at a nickel Generation, but nothing is set in stone. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience playing B flat, Generation or otherwise? Any advice that you can give will be much appreciated. :thumbsup:
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: B flat Whistle

Post by hoopy mike »

That's probably the obvious choice and most popular Bb whistle around. Good value for money and readily available - try searching the forum for old threads on the Gen Bb.
Penycat

Post by Penycat »

I have a Freeman Tweaked Generation Bb nickel whistle that I purchased from Jerry on his eBay store. What a fantastic whistle IMO, very affordable too!
"If one plays good music, people don't listen and if one plays bad music, people don't talk." - Oscar Wilde
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I have a dozen or so Bb whistles here that I play. But really, the Generation is the place to start. I've not had any trouble with off the shelf Gen Bb's of either the red or blue varieties. Just a good and useful whistle. You can't beat 'em for price and performance, IMO.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Yeah, I'll second Jerry's Bb generation. Great whistle, if a little unfocused in the upper octave.
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Thanks for the help. :D What about a tuneable Dixon? :-? Just wandered across it now. It would be my first tuneable, but since it is two pieces it would be easy to carry around.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Dreamer wrote:What about a tuneable Dixon?
I've owned a tuneable polymer Dixon in Bb. It's a nice whistle too.
plaidpotato

Post by plaidpotato »

I love my Impempe Bb. It's probably my favorite whistle in any key, and surprisingly quite reasonably priced as well. After I bought it, I promptly sold my Dixon polymer and gave away my Generation Bb, although both of those were perfectly adequate whistles as well.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

plaidpotato wrote:I love my Impempe Bb. It's probably my favorite whistle in any key, and surprisingly quite reasonably priced as well. After I bought it, I promptly sold my Dixon polymer and gave away my Generation Bb, although both of those were perfectly adequate whistles as well.
Second that. I have iMpempes from Bb - E and if more people found out about them Ian would be a very busy man! He could also price them where they belong ;) *now that i got a "full set"*
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

How would you discribe the Impempe sound?
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Maki and the OP,

You didn't ask me but since the OP asked about Bb whistles, I'm going to add my two cents anyway :D

I, like Feadoggie, have quite a few of these. The Gens are exactly as he describes them out of the box, though Jerry Freeman's tweaks do add some strength at the bottom and clarity at the top end. For pure value, these can't be beat.

However, at the next level, Impempe does offer a unique and incredibly solid instrument. I have three of Ian's whistles and agree that they are underrepresented on this forum. Ian does customize instruments so my experience may not be the same as others. My Bb from Impempe is the most well balanced whistle throughout it's two 1/6 octave (comfortable) range of any that I own. They are not loud whistles but are very pure with only the slightest chiff which can be controlled with careful fingering and breath if one wants more. In fact I would call them average in volume. The Generation will be louder, particularly at the high end. Impempe is solid with amazingly consistent breath requirements throughout. It is also IMHO one of the most beautifully designed and constructed whistles available. I chose the polished aluminum version over the brushed but that's up to you. Either of these will make you very happy and can take you anywhere you want to go.

I've played the Susato and find them too loud for my taste but some around here seem to like them. I find the Parks Bb to be a good whistle though really loud. If you want to play outside or need to be heard when playing with others, it would be a good choice. My beloved Sindt is simply amazing as is my favorite Bb, the Schultz Water Weasel in gray PVC.

Good luck with your quest.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I have a Generation Bb, but if I didn't I'd opt for the Freeman tweeked Generation Bb. The stock whistle is good enough, but I'm sure the Freeman is better, and it doesn't cost that much more.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

For an inexpensive whistle, like everyone says the Generation is a pretty god bet for a few bucks; I have two, one better than the other. But Bb is such a nice key, if you want to pay a bit more it may be well worth it. I just took possession of a Sindt Bb (and an A), and they're lovely. When I ordered them, I didn't know about Impempe, but I have an Imempe D now and I wouldn't hesitate to buy Ian's Bb, I've heard it's excellent. Gary Humphrey was also on hiatus at the time, but I bet his Bb is also terrific going by the whistles I have from him. Lots of good choices, and even an 'expensive' whistle isn't very.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Thanks for all the advice! :D I couldn't find any Impempe whistles, anyone have a link? :tomato: The Susato and Dixon seem to be both around the same price, and I took a liking to the Dixon after I saw this; http://www.amazon.com/Dixon-Alloy-Duo-W ... B000VPJFAU and thought that there was a chance I could later get a piccolo head that would work. Is this a plausible idea? Anyone by chance know the key of that set? What would happen if I put another key piccolo head on the B flat Dixon body? Is that even possible? :-?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Google is your friend. http://impempewhistles.co.za/ Ian makes good whistles.
Dreamer wrote:Anyone by chance know the key of that set?
That link show a combination whistle and piccolo head for a D body Dixon. The stock number DX206D designates a whistle/piccolo set with an aluminum body - DX206. The final D designates the key of the aluminum body. They are available in C and D, AFAIK. I've owned the polymer bodied sets with both D and C bodies. I was not favorably impressed with either key of piccolo. I've also owned a couple Dixon two head sets for the low D body. I'd suggest purpose made piccolos, flutes or fifes although the concept of one body with two heads is workable.

There are a huge number of good Bb whistles out there. And if this thread has legs all of them will eventually be suggested to you. You might do well to state what sound and playing characteristics you prefer. And what would be your budget?

But really, you cannot go wrong buying a Gen Bb as a starting point. It is the universal Bb whistle. They are readily available. They are economical. They sound good. They play well. And they last a lifetime if you take care of them. http://elderly.com/new_instruments/name ... -GTW12.htm

Feadoggie