So, what are you all eating today?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Peewit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: So, what are you all eating today?

Post by Peewit »

I found out in Italy that the Italians pronounce it "bruh SKET uh". I've heard a total of one English-speaker (Tim Minchin) pronounce it correctly.
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peewit wrote:I found out in Italy that the Italians pronounce it "bruh SKET uh". I've heard a total of one English-speaker (Tim Minchin) pronounce it correctly.
I pronounce it correctly. It drives me nuts that people don't. It's like the word 'lingerie'. I cannot for the life of me see why people almost universally pronounce it as 'lon-zher-ray'. Wha??? :-? :boggle:
dwest

Post by dwest »

Peewit wrote:I found out in Italy that the Italians pronounce it "bruh SKET uh". I've heard a total of one English-speaker (Tim Minchin) pronounce it correctly.
The first time we had bruschetta was in Italy I've always pronounced it the way I was told. What drives me crazy is folks around here think bruschetta comes in a jar.
emmline

Post by emmline »

dwest wrote:
The first time we had bruschetta was in Italy I've always pronounced it the way I was told. What drives me crazy is folks around here think bruschetta comes in a jar.
Because, and you know this, people who have had more exposure to French and/or German than Italian are not aware that ch makes a hard sound in the latter. I only know (and I have to stop and think about it at that) because I took a voice class once, and had to learn Vittoria Mio Core (which I don't recommend to anyone.)
I pronounce it correctly. It drives me nuts that people don't. It's like the word 'lingerie'. I cannot for the life of me see why people almost universally pronounce it as 'lon-zher-ray'. Wha??? :-? :boggle:
How do you pronounce it Ben? I'm only asking because, after watching Downton Abbey, I am aware that the fellow who brushes dust off the rich guy's jacket is--in England--the VAL-ett, whereas over here we're more apt to French-i-fry it and say val-AY.

So, as for ladies undies...lon-zher-ee, as in the French, or something more anglified? Of course the RAY has no place.

But to try to make a sweeping conciliatory observation, unless we are MTGuru, we are unlikely to know the pronunciation rules of every language and tend, therefore, to repeat what we hear.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

repeat what we hear.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

All this talk about proper pronunciation and no one is using the International Phonetic Alphabet? This over a fancy kind of garlic bread? I guess I have a functionalist view of communication and when sharing recipes like my frittata will often change the name to "egg bake" depending on the audience. Pronouncing a word correctly doesn't mean much if the person you are talking to doesn't understand you.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote:All this talk about proper pronunciation and no one is using the International Phonetic Alphabet? This over a fancy kind of garlic bread? I guess I have a functionalist view of communication and when sharing recipes like my frittata will often change the name to "egg bake" depending on the audience. Pronouncing a word correctly doesn't mean much if the person you are talking to doesn't understand you.
It's not really garlic bread it's olive oil bread and definitely not fancy, now frittata...well the next thing ya know we'll be talking quiche or a tortilla española.

When is lunch exactly?