Olwell D boxwood - keyless no slide on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flexismart
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Olwell D boxwood - keyless no slide on E-bay

Post by Flexismart »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws-Patrick-Olwe ... 210wt_1398

$3K seems a little stiff for this tube.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

libraryman wrote:It is an extremely beautiful flute, but would not the fact that it was built as a prototype tend to drive interest down a little too? Or is that style flute now in the "Olwell catalogue." Just wondering.
If this is really a prototype, I would shy away from it. I played an exact (within reason) copy of the CN flute in Patrick's shop a few years ago. This was a warts and all copy, complete with the era's tuning features. The scale of the flutes he now sells is somewhat different from the original to reflect modern tuning sensibilities. I suspect such is the case with this flute, since Patrick sold it.

Jim, Olwell Rudall-style flutes in boxwood are fine for Irish playing. Several players of some repute have played mine (slide, unlined head) and been favorably impressed.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Right about Olwell Rudalls--at least I have no info to the contrary and I believe what you say.
I had in mind the seller's particular flute, the details he gives about weak notes, and the
things you are saying in the first paragraph of your message, immediately above.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

There are no weak notes. Only weak players.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Makes sense, but the people who didn't bid on the flute may not have known it.
The seller goes on about features of the particular flute that make it sound
iffy, whatever they amount to really.

'Those notes were always iffy on the one-keyed Baroque flutes, and more usable due to the single key which this flute does not have.'

Bit of an exercise in how not to sell a flute.
toddyboy50
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toddyboy50 »

I can appreciate his honesty as far as the way he perceives the flute.... really no way to know for sure how this particular flute plays, even given it's an Olwell. I think it would take quite a leap to spend that kind of money on this flute without having a chance to try it out.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I interpreted the lister's remarks as relating to the cross-fingered or half-holed notes -- he mentions Bflat, Fnatural, and Eflat by name. He did mention Patrick as saying the low-D doesn't bark, but I think that' s a player-specific thing more than a flute-specific thing. After all, Chris makes the low-D (and C) bark on the original.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Liney Bear

Post by Liney Bear »

johnkerr wrote:There are no weak notes. Only weak players.

^^^^
THIS.

Best advice you'll get around here.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Sold for $1,245 Best Offer.