Inexpensive A whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kuolema
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Inexpensive A whistle

Post by Kuolema »

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of an inexpensive (high) A whistle. Does such a thing exist or would I have to get a higher end one?
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Inexpensive A whistle

Post by swizzlestick »

Jerry Freeman to the rescue -- again.

His A based on a tweaked Bb Generation head is a great value. Quickly became one of my favorites. I think you may still need to contact him directly to order. Jerry?
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I believe the OP is asking about an A whistle above a standard high D - i.e., one step above the Generation G.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

If he really means the A above high D I have never heard of one. I can't imagine how you'd play it. I can't finger anything above F. If he means alto A, I agree with the Freeman choice.

good luck
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I recently purchased a Freeman A and I like it. It's very mellow and has a nice windy quality to it. Very breathy with lots of "wiggle room" for expression; that is, you can vary your volume/tone without altering the pitch too much. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's perfect for us psuedo-low whistlers who like the feel of a low whistle but not the size and price.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

I have a tommy dion A that is quite expressive and in tune. Highly recommended.
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

MTGuru wrote:I believe the OP is asking about an A whistle above a standard high D - i.e., one step above the Generation G.
Haha, no, sorry. I meant the one just above the low G.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check them out.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Kuolema wrote: I meant the one just above the low G.
You can make your own.

The instructions for the construction are found here :http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/index.html

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Kuolema wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I believe the OP is asking about an A whistle above a standard high D - i.e., one step above the Generation G.
Haha, no, sorry. I meant the one just above the low G.
Ah, OK. Yes, the designation of the A whistle as low or high is tricky. Partly because the Generation range more or less defines the "high" range, and there's no A. "Alto A" is sometimes used by analogy with the recorder ranges, otherwise usually just plain old "A".

I do have a "high high F" whistle - one octave above the Generation F. It's audible only by bats, and playable only by leprechauns. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Kuolema

Post by Kuolema »

Feadoggie wrote:
Kuolema wrote: I meant the one just above the low G.
You can make your own.

The instructions for the construction are found here :http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/index.html

Feadoggie
I've thought about it but I have a feeling the mouthpiece might be tricky. Thanks for the link though, I'll take a look.

MTGuru wrote: Ah, OK. Yes, the designation of the A whistle as low or high is tricky. Partly because the Generation range more or less defines the "high" range, and there's no A. "Alto A" is sometimes used by analogy with the recorder ranges, otherwise usually just plain old "A".

I do have a "high high F" whistle - one octave above the Generation F. It's audible only by bats, and playable only by leprechauns. :-)
Yeah, sorry about that, should have been clearer. I can't even imagine playing a whistle that high XD
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

I'd also suggest one of Jerry F's. The only downside with the one I have (and it's a small downside) is that I find I need to dip the mouthpiece in washing-up liquid from time to time to prevent clogging. Nice sounding whistle, though. Jerry's a genius!

m.d.
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

I had an Ethnic wind high (above high D) F, G and A set. The a was microscopic and very hard to play, but it did, and in tune.
But yes, for a mezzo A, Freeman was $40ish, right? Dr. G has them too I believe.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Mike Anderson

Post by Mike Anderson »

Last Friday Jerry Freeman wrote in an email to me:

"Key of A tweaked brass Generation = $44.50

The key of A whistlehead doesn't fit a Bb tube. The A tube is slightly wider bore and the tweaking scheme is also slightly different."

I have one on the way, which should be helpful because a third of the tunes I play with the local fiddlers are in A.
wgdii

Post by wgdii »

For an inexpensive A, I'd have to agree, Jerry's A whistle is a good choice. Heck, it is good choice even if you are not worried about the expense. I would also look at the pricier Dixons. I can attest that all are good whistles.

Will
cboody

Post by cboody »

I certainly agree that the Freeman is going to be good. No one's mentioned Susato. They are not terrible. I'm just suggesting another option.

As to an A whistle and Fiddlers: I'd think an E whistle would give you a better range... YMMV.