Cases, again

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Cases, again

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am taking a final look at cases at the moment with an upcoming trip to France in mind Image

I need a case for a 3/4 set internal measurements not smaller (and preferably not much larger) than 60(l)x20(d)x16(h) cm.

I thought I'd go with a bagpiper semi soft highland pipes case but am getting some last minute worries about the semi soft part of them. You'd be worried what would happen if some eejit would step on them when you leave them in some corner.

I am aware of custom flight cases (have been using one since 1986) and I haven't ruled them out yet but not sure I want a 5-6 kg of case to carry (as some of the ready mades on ebay are).

So, anyone with experience with (converting) oblong fiddle or viola cases? These seem to come without internal measurements in the on-line shops so it's hard to know how to progress there (yes, I did enquire but haven't heard back from any yet).

I have been particularly looking at the Jacob Winter/Eastman fibreglass fiddle and viola cases and similar oblong cases so to hear any experiences with those would be great.
My brain hurts

Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Cases, again

Post by Steampacket »

Peter, I use a second hand oblong violin case for my 3/4 set. I can also get a flute inside. however I can't fit my bellows in so I carry the bellows in my small backpack together with camera and other stuff. The only modification I did was to remove the violin neck support from the case. The case has straps so I can carry it on my back if I want or in my hand. PS congratulations and give my regards.

I only have to slide off the bass drone crook with puck otherwise the pipes are not broken down. The case is the one I use when in Miltown, cost 20 euros
Last edited by Steampacket on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hm, yes you do. I remember now. I need the bellows in there though.

We'e having our summer early this year. It's great here at the moment. Will you be over for Willie? Liam Flynn does the opening and Mitchell is doing the Willie talk again. And Banjo, Harp and Harmonica recitals have been added. So there will be a few novelties there.
My brain hurts

Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

May be possible to get a bellows in depending on how much you can compress them. My bellows are a recent D. Williams bellows and they don't compress as much as my old bellows. I hope to get over for Willie Week, but Helena will give Miltown a rest this year and go next year instead. We'll both be going to Tocane de Apres 22-25 July though.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I have no trouble fittting a 3/4 set in C into a Pro-Tec viola case (including bellows); the bass drone needs to be removed from its slide and the tenor drone pushed all the way in. I had to remove all the blocks that form-fit a viola but was able to do that without ripping or disfiguring the velvet lining (the blocks are typically stapled in with wood staples rather than glued), with the exception of one piece on the top inside of the case that was glued as well as stapled. I'm very happy with it.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Peter, I use a soft case that i had made to the exact size of one of those luggage sizers at the gate (at airports). In all the years I've been traveling with one (which contains a concertina & flute) I've never had an incident. (Great to hear about those new instrument additions to the concerts!)
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Thanks Brad, I had an eye on the ProTec as well.
My brain hurts

jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

I use a Hiscox Viola case which is just the right size for pipes and bellows, but it does need a lot of work internally. I ended up routing all the injection moulded foam out, leaving about 1/2 inch all round as some protection - it is also an intrinsic part of the cases' original strength - and then recovering with velvet.

A lot of messy work, but worth it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

it is also an intrinsic part of the cases' original strength
That crossed my mind too, the effect on structural integrity when you take bits out.

Great to hear about those new instrument additions to the concerts!
They'll be at the marquee though from 5 to 7 which will make for a full schedule if you want to take in everything.

Full list here: Willie #40
My brain hurts

Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I use the black case that Andreas Rogge has on his website http://www.uilleann-pipes.de/english/koffer.html
84 x 27,5 x 12 cm, suitable for Uilleann Pipe half set, full set
Surface: plastic coated, black, Hardware: Aluminium, steel (nickel plated) Extra wide and comfortable shoulder strap.

The only change to this case is that it has green Velvet Lining now from Kingham MTM Cases http://kingham.merion.co.uk/

What is the full size inside of a Hiscox Viola case

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I found an old tenor sax case and gutted it. It measures 57 x 30 x 15 cm. It holds a full set w/bellows.
PJ
iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

I had a similar problem just recently and ended up using a bow case. Initial cost about £42 then extra foam about £20.

http://www.bowsports.com/acatalog/Bowsp ... ve_50.html

I purchased a soft 'striker' case and lined it with egg box style foam. I was able to fit a full set of D's plus two sets of Northumbrians in the case. I had to split the bass drone but otherwise all was fine.

We travelled by Eurostar from London to Dijon without incident or damage to pipes.

Various other bow case options but I needed a light case.

Iain
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I vote ProTec Viola. For me it safely totes a full set & bellows, plus 3 whistles, an english horn, many reeds & emerg kit. Every single highland case Ive tried ( & theres been many) does not satisfactorily hold an Uilleann pipe. I dont feel a compromise in structural integrity :D with the viola shape removed, because the top half is a very hard stable (& i believe) a one piece thing that zips down onto the bottom piece on 3 sides.
lets face it, it's serving a higher purpose as an uilleann pipe case. Viola cases should be lined up 9 deep for the opprotunity to better themselves :lol:
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Cormac Cannon was fitting a B set into a fiddle case when he came up here a few years back.
At the time he was flying regularly between Edinburgh and Dublin.

....nobody said this would be easy......

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Bow case, not one I would have thought of. ProTec isn't all that easy to find here by the way, and not cheap either (compared to US prices).
My brain hurts