What do you like best about where you live?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What do you like best about where you live?

Post by mutepointe »

I didn't grow up here in Kanawha County, West Virginia and only came to live here because my racquetball partner grew up here, moved back and called me up on a particularly bad day and asked, "How would you like a new job?"

Life here is pretty laid back and people move really slowly, so for how pokey I am, I'm still going at light-speed, comparably speaking. The thing that I like best is that folks really don't care who you are. With the folks that I meet, there are very few folks who put on airs and when they do act that way, we're usually polite about it or if necessary, we point out to them that they live in West Virginia.

And there's great canoeing of every type possible.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: What do you like best about where you live?

Post by Nanohedron »

The lutefisk.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
maki

Post by maki »

Good weather.
The surf isn't horrible.
Year round gardening, and winter citrus in the yard.
And, oh yeah, Irish Traditional Music near by.
Denny

Post by Denny »

the rain!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
dwest

Post by dwest »

The fact that I can move 'cause they got no lutefisk and all the canoeing is flat water, blah! It's also too hot, too many tornadoes, hurricanes and earthquakes and most of the people sound like foreigners, ya'll know what I mean?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Good grocery stores. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Fresh Market. Oh, and good fast-casual restaurants.
Other people like the water. It's nice and all, but I don't have a boat.
Mainly I live here by dint of several defaults, and I stay by dint of several more.
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

That I live on the flat plains, only a few miles from the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
That they never plow the roads when it snows because the bright Colorado Sun will melt it all off the next day.
There's lakes everywhere.
All ranges of paddling are supported here, flatwater, whitewater.
If you ask someone directions on the street, you better be prepared to chat for 30 minutes, and maybe even be taken on a walking tour of town. Super friendly.
The New West Fest music festival every August in Old Town Fort Collins (FoCo).
Having the most restaurants and microbreweries per capita in the US (at least that's what the local Chamber of Commerce says).
Being close enough to Denver to visit some great sessions and great players.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I was born in Indiana, graduated from Indiana University, but lived in Arizona most of my life. I returned to Indiana to be close to my parents in their old age. My mother lived to be 81 and my father nearly 91. I enjoy living in Indianapolis because that is where my wife is, and I doubt that she would want to move away from where she has lived all of her life and from her extended family, some of whom need our help.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

emmline wrote:Other people like the water. It's nice and all, but I don't have a boat.
Kayak. You definitely need a kayak, Emm.

That's one of the many things I like about where I live. We're right near the confluence (love that word) of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers which offer many great flatwater paddles. We're three hours from three great cities: NY, Boston and Montreal. Close enough to get to, but far enough away too, if you know what I mean. Lots of great cultural/musical/gustatory choices. Finally, living right across the street from a pond makes for interesting neighbors...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

Contrary to popular belief, the area I live in is not all conservative, racist, and stagnant. You just have to dig a little (and get away from the new "McMansion" suburbs) to find it.

I love the diversity of my neighborhood, but the friendliness, too. I love the old houses and wonderful green space. I wish we had some more things close by ( a grocery would be nice), but like that while I live in the "city" I also have deer, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs, etc. in the back yard on a daily basis.

I hate my drive to work. But for many years I only lived 2 miles away from work (now it's 25). I actually work 2 miles away from the house I grew up in, on property that was my bus driver's pig farm.

But this is "home". One son and his wife have bought a house right around the corner, and the other lives in an apartment just as close. I don't see us moving.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
maki

Post by maki »

brewerpaul wrote:
emmline wrote:Other people like the water. It's nice and all, but I don't have a boat.
Here's where to get some awesome boats/kayaks/paddle boards;
http://www.clcboats.com/
1805 GEORGE AVENUE
ANNAPOLIS, MARYLAND
21401 USA
dwest

Post by dwest »

maki wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:
Here's where to get some awesome boats/kayaks/paddle boards;
http://www.clcboats.com/
1805 GEORGE AVENUE
ANNAPOLIS, MARYLAND
21401 USA
Nah, man, Pygmy Boats, http://www.pygmyboats.com/ on the other coast.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Halfway between the M4 & the M40 but not close enough to either to get swamped by traffic. Close enough to London to get in for the day but far enough away not to get the smell. Near the river - two rivers if you count the Wye - and my work is in walking distance. Some lovely walks in the area, including the Thames Towpath. Rebellion Brewery just up the road, and good schools in the area. Terry Pratchett went to school in High Wycombe! I knew that from close reading of his books, but it was nice to have it confirmed by some members of the Folk Club who went to school with him. In fact this is a really literary area. Enid Blyton, Edgar Wallace, Patrick Campbell, Percy and Mary Shelly and many others lived around here. It's a shame there isn't an independent bookshop for twenty miles in any direction.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Walk out of the front door, and you can step into the beautiful Royal Forest of Dean. Walk out of the back of the house, and you're in rolling Herefordshire meadows. Wales is a 15 minute drive away and the Cotswolds a 30 minute drive in the opposite direction. Within an hour's drive, you can get North to Birmingham, or South to Bristol.

But, for the last few years, more importantly than all that, there has been a pair of ravens nesting in the trees on the ridge just above the house. They come and circle overhead at the end of the day when I'm in the garden, and now they have a youngster who comes and flies about with them too. Every now and then, they land on the drive and hop about in a lollopy sort of way. They are about the most beautiful birds I've ever seen.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I live by the confluence of the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers. It is also a confluence of the agrarian, industrial and technological periods of American life. Then there's C. F. Martin & CO.
dwest wrote:Nah, man, Pygmy Boats, http://www.pygmyboats.com/ on the other coast.
Well, CLC is in Annapolis. So they's be local to Emmline.

Pygmy is good too. Laughing Loon. Shearwater. I've got a real fondness for Mac McCarthy's open deck canoes.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.