Susato High D harsh in Upper Register

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
msheald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Susato High D harsh in Upper Register

Post by msheald »

Hello! Still working with the Susato high D. Notes above high G seem to require a lot of pressure or air velocity compared to lower notes, and each high note seems to require more air/velocity at the high end than the previous note (A more than G, B more than A, etc.). This change in air pressure/velocity requirements becomes noticeable to me a high G and makes me change my pressure/air stream when I try to play a high A and above.

Tightening my embochure does not seem to make a big difference, so I increase air velocity and that makes a loud upper register. Its not a problem per se; it requires muscle memory to remember the air requirement.

I'm curious, how does the air pressure and/or air velocity need of the Susato high D high notes compare to the high notes of other high D's? Best regards.

Mike
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Since you've tried the o-ring and embrouchre suggestions and the Susato is still not
giving you what you want then maybe its time for a quiter/easier whistle?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second: Recommend another whistle. Also play the Susato with hearing protection until you can control it.
maki

Post by maki »

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Dublin Susato D.
I've no issues with it, and don't use an O-ring.

Just that not every whsitle is going to be right for everyone.
Nomi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: San Juan Island, Washington, Northwest corner of the USA

Post by Nomi »

Consider getting a clark sweetone. Cheap, easy to play, and possibly the other end of the whistle spectrum from the susato. Plays fairly quiet, nice and clear in the second octave. I have two, actually one is the 'celtic', but there's not much different between the two. Nicer paint job, maybe a little more stable going between the first and second octave.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

msheald wrote:Hello! Still working with the Susato high D. Notes above high G seem to require a lot of pressure or air velocity compared to lower notes, and each high note seems to require more air/velocity at the high end than the previous note (A more than G, B more than A, etc.). This change in air pressure/velocity requirements becomes noticeable to me a high G and makes me change my pressure/air stream when I try to play a high A and above.
Yup - it's a whistle. :-)
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Here's a nice example of how a Susato can sound in the right hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ood1yphY ... e=youtu.be
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

What, with all those rushing air noises? (Unless that's just a recording problem, I prefer my Susatos straight!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I second MTGuru's statement. I struggled with the high register of my susato for quite a while, but the trick is not to back away from it. If you back off (without dropping into the low register) you get the screechy, squawky sound. Keep you airstream nice and fast and it shouldn't be a problem. High A and B will always be a little rough on susatos though.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:... High A and B will always be a little rough on susatos though.
disagree completely.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jiminos wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:... High A and B will always be a little rough on susatos though.
disagree completely.
Me too! Can't describe any note in the first two octaves of my -S- Series Dublin D as anything worse than 'clear' when it's good for over two-and-a-half octaves...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
msheald

Post by msheald »

So, what are folks opinions about other whistles and how they compare to the Susato in terms of air pressure in teh high A,B, C, and D? Best regards.

Mike
R Small

Post by R Small »

A great whistle for the top notes is the W. D. Sweet. Has an easier response which means you don't have to blow as hard to get the notes up to pitch. You can actually play fairly easily up into the third octave without blasting your eardrums. The Sweet does cost quite a bit more than the Susato though. Worth it in my opinion.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

msheald wrote:So, what are folks opinions about other whistles and how they compare to the Susato in terms of air pressure in teh high A,B, C, and D? Best regards.
Mike
I'm one of those players that likes free blowing whistles. I like the Susatos in general. It's a whistle you play not a whistle playing you, IYKWIM.

Your question is rather open ended I am afraid. There are a lot of whistles out there and to compare the Susato to all of those on air pressure and top end would be a daunting task to complete without qualifying things by price, materials and other characteristics. So I am sure folks will join in offering their personal favorites. But keep in mind you have to be the judge and it is best if you can get out and about and try some other whistles for yourself. From a design standpoint making a whistle which is equally strong across two octaves is a bit of a balancing act. The whistles I own that have the sweetest and easiest top ends frequently have weaker low ends. So keep that in mind.

I would think whistles like a Generation, Oak, Sweetone or Feadog would be favorable to what you are not comfortable with on the Susato.

A Sindt might also work for you.

I would also think a Mike Burke narrow bore would be of interest. The Burke has one of the smoothest breath curves out there. While you will have to increase the air velocity to hit high G,A,B on all whistles, you won't notice a particular wall as you go up on the Burke as you feel you do on your Susato.

As an alternative you could try a Goldie high D. You might find you have push sooner but the top end may seem easier in contrast.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Tintin wrote:Here's a nice example of how a Susato can sound in the right hands: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ood1yphY ... e=youtu.be
Actually, his high notes sound pretty harsh too!

I've always found Susatos to be a bit harsh on high A/B, which I guess is the tradeoff for the really solid low notes. I'm mainly speaking of the high D Susatos. The lower pitched ones around B/Bb/A are awesome.

-Brett