Non-metal low Ds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Non-metal low Ds

Post by Mikethebook »

I love my Goldie low D and look forward to spending an hour on it each day! But like all metal whistles it takes time to warm it up. Since I work at home at a desk I have chance now and then to pick up a whistle just for a couple of minutes, no more . . . and so would like an inexpensive non-metal low D to fulfill that purpose. I can think of Susato (probably too loud for my taste), Dixon, Ethnic Wind (I live in the UK so possibly too expensive), Goldfinch, Becker, Shearwater . . .and there are undoubtedly others. What would people suggest?
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Non-metal low Ds

Post by bogman »

How are you warming it up? None of mine take more than around 20 seconds to get up to temperature.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Mikethebook wrote:I love my Goldie low D and look forward to spending an hour on it each day! But like all metal whistles it takes time to warm it up. Since I work at home at a desk I have chance now and then to pick up a whistle just for a couple of minutes, no more . . . and so would like an inexpensive non-metal low D to fulfill that purpose. I can think of Susato (probably too loud for my taste), Dixon, Ethnic Wind (I live in the UK so possibly too expensive), Goldfinch, Becker, Shearwater . . .and there are undoubtedly others. What would people suggest?
My vote would be for the Dixon Tapered bore whistle. I have the tunable model (TB012D) and think it is a lot of whistle for the money. Especially if you do a simple tweak to increase the resistance of the head. Here are some clips - though they were rushed off as demos so excuse my playing.
First
Second
Second with some post-production

The Dixon has actually displaced my Goldie from second whistle position exactly for the reasons that you mention. I pick it up when I do not have enough time to warm up my preferred whistle. It is very easy to play, predictable, dependable, but a little 'woolier' than my first choice whistle, and a little harsher (but not much) right at the top of the range. With the modification I actually find it easier to play at top end than my Goldie, and the low end is just as strong. I would still prefer the tone of the Goldie to the tone of the Dixon, and expect that you will too, but it could be a tougher decision than you imagine.

Just my ha'pence.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

DrPhil +1

I got a TB012D for cheap off ebay, to try it out and it is the physically easiest to play low D that I have. It is now my go to low D whistle. It would suit flute players (I think) as it looks like a small holed Rudall body with a whistle head.

BTW what was your tweak Dr Phill?

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Dixon gets my vote too, but making your own or buying one of Guido's might be options worth considering.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

BigDavy wrote:DrPhil +1

I got a TB012D for cheap off ebay, to try it out and it is the physically easiest to play low D that I have. It is now my go to low D whistle. It would suit flute players (I think) as it looks like a small holed Rudall body with a whistle head.

BTW what was your tweak Dr Phill?

David
Extremely simple. I cut some 0.25mm thick plastic sheet to shape and glued it to the floor of the windway. The plastic sheet can be bought on line reasonably cheaply. It can be cut with scissors. The Dixon windway tapers slightly, so when you cut the sheet right it will not slip further down the windway. If you leave a little bit of plastic hanging out of the mouthpiece you can find the optimum position of the far edge of the insert. For me that seemed to be such that the inserted sheet almost, but not quite, reached the bevel at the end of the fipple block. About half a millimetre seemed about right. Almost as if continuing the bevel.... and next time I will bevel the insert to match.

When I was happy with it, I stuck it down with 'Pritt Stick' (non-stick glue!). Coat the insert, push it into place and use a spatular to firm it down. wait for the glue to 'set' or whatever it does, and cut the protruding tab off. I expect, but cannot confirm, that the Pritt will fail eventually; it can probably be undone by soaking in warm water - but I am not sure.

I thought the increase in air resistance really beneficial, and the tone cleaned up a bit, but this may be 'proud father' syndrome. The bottom end got stronger (or more correctly it got easier to get the really strong bottom end) and at the top I am able to double overblow e,f#,g to b',c#',d'.

Give it a try.....
Phill

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for the replies.

First, I feel I need to warm the whole whistle through for best results including the tube and so it does take me a few minutes . . . but maybe my breath, as a relative beginner is quite wet.

Guido's whistles are very nice. I've tried his high D but I struggle with the shape of the fipple . . . maybe because I have thick lips which get in the way of the windway but anyway I much prefer something like the Goldie fipple where I can get my mouth around it. Thanks for your comments DrPhill regarding the Dixon. I've thought about a Dixon quite a lot but I don't like the tone and though I haven't seen it properly I think I might have problems with the fipple shape. But Dixon is high on my list of possibilities.

Has anyone had chance to play a PVC Shearwater, the Goldfinch or the ridiculously low-priced Becker?
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Bogman, if it only takes you 20 seconds to warm your low whistles I'm curious to know how you prevent clogging, if you have any regime. I'm also curious to know where in N W Scotland you are, if you don't mind sharing.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mikethebook wrote:Has anyone had chance to play a PVC Shearwater, the Goldfinch or the ridiculously low-priced Becker?
I have a Becker whistle here but not a low D. While I don't like to generalize, I'd offer the thought that you might want to skip that one - not nearly as well executed as a Gonzato made whistle.

Shearwaters have been discussed here in the past. You could do a search.

There is a set of Goldfinches for auction on eBay at the moment.

I'd add a vote for a Dixon particularly since you are in the UK.

While not inexpensive two other options might be a Michael Burke composite low D or the Walt Sweet Onyx.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

The idea of a "cheapie" whistle is a good one IMHO. I always have a cheapie sitting next to my desk and if I have a minute to spare I'll pick it up and play a tune. I work at home so it's possible to do this when my work is slow. My current cheapie is a Gen Bb. I wouldn't mind having a cheapie Low whistle. It's not just about warming it up but also about not worrying about "using" it and not worrying about cleaning it out after playing. I guess I baby my expensive whistles and shake them out and swab them out, etc. With my Generation Bb I just shake out the excess water and set it down. I don't know if these reasons are psychological or laziness or both. And I'm not sure they justify another whistle. :D
DrPhill wrote:My vote would be for the Dixon Tapered bore whistle.
Dr. Phill - That whistle sounds great and your playing is lovely. How could anyone not like that sound? :-?

If you have any photos of your tweak I'd be very interested.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

cunparis wrote:Dr. Phill - That whistle sounds great and your playing is lovely. How could anyone not like that sound? :-?

Thank you cunparis.

The tweak is almost entirely invisible - I am not sure that a photo would show much. I will have a try tomorrow when there is some natural light around, but I am not hopeful. All you will see from the blowing end is a small white line along the bottom of the windway. Peering in through the window you might see even less. If I had had black plastic sheet instead of white, then the tweak would have been completely invisible......
Phill

bogman

Post by bogman »

Mike the book, I'm in Skye. I just always keep the windways whistles totally clean, cover the sound hole with my had and blow hard through it for 20 odd seconds when first picking it up then for a few seconds before each set of tunes. I don't have a problem with clogging at all.
cboody

Post by cboody »

Check out the Walt Sweet Onyx. It seem to work quite well without much warming up, though if it is not a room temperature or so when you begin you can get some blocking.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks bogman. Inspiring place to live! Next question would be, how do you keep the windway clean? Do you have a particular regime for keeping it that way?

Thanks for the suggestion of the Onyx but I was looking for something low priced. That's way out of my league . . . sadly!
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

cunparis wrote:
DrPhill wrote:My vote would be for the Dixon Tapered bore whistle.
Dr. Phill - That whistle sounds great and your playing is lovely. How could anyone not like that sound? :-?

We did not get much 'natural light' today, but I took these. Hope they help:
Phill