The purest sounding high-ender

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Most pure-sounding whistle you've played

Abell
No votes
Abell
3%
Overton
No votes
Overton
No votes
O'Riordan
18%
O'Riordan
No votes
Rose
No votes
Rose
18%
Copeland
No votes
Copeland
13%
Kerry Pro
No votes
Kerry Pro
28%
Burke
No votes
Burke
8%
Elf Song
No votes
Elf Song
5%
Sindt
No votes
Sindt
5%
Water Weasel
No votes
Water Weasel
3%

Total votes: 39

nickt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The purest sounding high-ender

Post by nickt »

Not that some of the other polls haven't been useful, but hey...

Let's use the poll system as well to gather info on whistles, so each time a newbie says something like "I'm looking for a quiet chiffy high ender", we have a poll recorded to which they can refer.

So here's a start: the purest whistle you've played (next can be breathiest, loudest, whatever). Dixon and Susato (for which you may wish to vote) are not in as high-enders (it's a high-enders only poll given the £$£$ outlay for a newbie).

If I've left any off there's a limit to poll options.
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
nickt

Post by nickt »

Doh! Went wrong somewhere entering the poll options! I think it'll still work though
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

just get a Sindt and be done with the whole thing.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

It was a tough choice, between Burke and Burke, but after careful thought I chose Burke over Burke. I think I made the right choice....if I change my mind later, can I come back and change it to Burke? :D
nickt

Post by nickt »

dlambert wrote:just get a Sindt and be done with the whole thing.
Without doubt Sindt was the least pure of all these that I've played - which is why the poll is a good idea!
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Why is everything listed twice? And why is Silkstone not included in this list? IMHO, it should be. Are radio buttons are the only option for polls? I would certainly want to choose more than one whistle in your list. The purest/cleanest sounding makes I have tried would start with my 10+ year old Copeland (I have found few recent models that come close)followed by Sindt, Burke, & Silkstone (not necessarily in that order).

Cheers,
David

P.S. Also recently tried a new model Sweet whistle apparently designed by Ralph's son Walt(?). It by lightyears exceeds the quality of old model Sweet whistles in it's pure sound and excellent responsiveness.
Last edited by Feadan on Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Purest whistles I've tried? Hoover narrow bore, and my Laughing Whistle. None of them are in the poll... :(

Jens
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Water Weasel is here but no thin Weasel? What about the Busman? I heard one the other day and it was sweet.

I must confess to having never played any of the ones on the list. I have a Hoover and it's darned sweet.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

The purest I heard was a Swayne, not played by me.
So pure I thought it was kinda high-end, er--no offense intended!--recorder .
And I still wonder :roll:

One problem with such a form of poll is that the rarest whistles are doomed to have less votes, even if 100% of their owners believe them to be The Purest.
nickt

Post by nickt »

Feadan wrote:Why is everything listed twice? And why is Silkstone not included in this list? IMHO, it should be. Are radio buttons are the only option for polls? I would certainly want to choose more than one whistle in your list. The purest/cleanest sounding makes I have tried would start with my 10+ year old Copeland (I have found few recent models that come close)followed by Sindt, Burke, & Silkstone (not necessarily in that order).

Cheers,
David
Everything's listed twice because I screwed up when I started the poll as explained above!

Regarding the makes not mentioned, they WERE included, but there's a limit to the poll options - I had to keep deleting them one by one till it was accepted. Maybe Rich can increase the amount of poll options?

Zub - Jon Swayne was a r******r maker originally - that should explain it!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm not even sure what you mean by "pure" and whether that's a positive or negative aspect. Some people seem to mean "sweet" or "rich" or without overtones, and some have noted whistles as pure as a positive that I find tonally boring and a negative. That said, are you excluding wood here? I'd also think that two notable high enders with solid high ends are Grinters and O'Briain lows.

I guess I'm just no fun to poll with...

I think though that my O'Riordan Low G is pure in the most positive and interesting way, so I'll vote O'Riordan (Traveler - aluminum).

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

blackhawk wrote:It was a tough choice, between Burke and Burke, but after careful thought I chose Burke over Burke. I think I made the right choice....if I change my mind later, can I come back and change it to Burke? :D
I'm afraid that I have to respectfuly disagree with you, Blackhawk. Answers like that are typical from people with limited exposure to quality whistles. Clearly, the proper response to the poll should be Burke, not Burke. What were you thinking?
nickt

Post by nickt »

PhilO wrote:I'm not even sure what you mean by "pure" and whether that's a positive or negative aspect. Some people seem to mean "sweet" or "rich" or without overtones, and some have noted whistles as pure as a positive that I find tonally boring and a negative. That said, are you excluding wood here? I'd also think that two notable high enders with solid high ends are Grinters and O'Briain lows.

Philo
By "pure" I mean no extra sounds of hissing air, overtones, etc - just the note itself (as you tend to get with a quality r******r, but with a whistle sound. Neither neg nor pos, just a "sound"). Sadly, Grinters and O'Briains were on the list but got deleted as not enough space (I've mailed Rich to see if he can help).
elendil

sweetheart professional D

Post by elendil »

dittos to everything feadan said, especially re the new sweetheart. if anyone cares to do a search (i got flamed for ignoring the search function and am now holier than the next whistler forum messager), tyghress has a thread on the subject which includes three-count-em-three good quality mp3's comparing the new sweetheart, burke, thin weasel, and overton (i think). it should be an eye/ear opener for anyone who has heard old sweets but not this new one. the new one is a northern birch/phenolic resin laminate, that should have the care characteristics of a polymer, but some of the sound qualities of very good quality wood. a slightly conical bore, dead accurate intonation throughout its very good range, and very pre sound.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

nickt wrote: By "pure" I mean no extra sounds of hissing air, overtones, etc - just the note itself (as you tend to get with a quality r******r, but with a whistle sound.
It is the harmonic overtones which make a whistle sound like a whistle.