To choose a great Whistle...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jamndot
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

To choose a great Whistle...

Post by jamndot »

I would like some good advice on a great whistle for purchase. I have always used the tin whistles, but want a nice sounding excellent made wooden whistle. I have looked at Abell and really like the maker, but is there a little less expensive whistle out there of similar quality? Thanks in advance...
Whistling Pops

Re: To choose a great Whistle...

Post by Whistling Pops »

The Busman is nice. :D
A flock of crows can bring an eagle down...but it doesn't make the eagle any less.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

... never seen this topic before.... should be interesting to follow.

(gonna run out to the truck and get me a fire extinguisher....)

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

jamndot wrote:I have looked at Abell and really like the maker, but is there a little less expensive whistle out there of similar quality?
No!

If you buy and play enough handmade wooden whistles what you will find that they are all different from maker to maker regardless of price. Abell whistles are fairly unique, well conceived and well crafted. The Busman is well deigned and well made as well and a little less costly than the Abell. We could say that for quite few other whistles too like Anderson, Milligan, Bartlett, etc.. I could point to a few whistles that are even more expensive than the Abell. The Oz whistle is nicely made and a bit more expensive than the Abell.

The point is this. If you like the Abell buy an Abell. You can buy a more expensive or less expensive whistle but it won't be an Abell. If you like a Busman, buy a Busman. If you like an Oz whistle buy an Oz whistle. They are all different in how they play and how they sound. Just my two cents.
Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
jamndot

Post by jamndot »

Here's the problem - I don't know of any store fronts that have any of these whistles. I don't have the money to buy a few $400- $500 whistles to try out. Is there a place in the Bay Area (California) where I could actually see and try out whistles?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

jamndot wrote:Here's the problem - I don't know of any store fronts that have any of these whistles. I don't have the money to buy a few $400- $500 whistles to try out.
Welcome to the world of whistling. That pretty much describes most of the folks here. And welcome to C&F.

Save your pennies and buy the Abell, if that is what you want. Or I could ask why you want an Abell in the first place. Have you played one? Do you know that it will meet your needs and playing preferences? It's a good whistle. But there are a lot of good whistles out there as well, just different than the Abell.

If you get out and about in the Irish music world, attend sessions, play in workshops go to festivals, etc. You will inevitably run into most every type of whistle available. Takes time but that's how it goes. Whistle players are famous for sharing their whistles with other players (interesting epidemiology study). You learn to play on what you have in the mean time. When your present whistle comes up short you should have some experience with other makers to make a decision about what to move on to.

Otherwise, history tells us that if this thread goes on long enough you will have someone suggest every wooden whistle made (as well as some in other materials). That's how these things go.

Feadoggie
jamndot

Post by jamndot »

Ya - I understand - I thought maybe I was just in the wrong part of the world where NO one plays a whistle and everyone around thinks only women play flutes (nothing against that! i know some wonderful women who play the flute better than I will ever). So - I will probably go with the Abell - I have heard it before and it is very nice. But I love the idea about going to some gatherings - though I don't know where they hide out at. I guess a little research wont hurt. Thanks for your advice!

James...

;0)
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

So many great wooden whistles, which one to choose?
The question hurts my head worse than a brain freeze.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tommy Dion makes very nice Whistles of Wood in the keys of D, C, and recently in the key of B. Here is a link to a video of the B. http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewto ... =25&t=6300

''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

There seems to be a divide between the US and Europe over this issue. In Europe, people seem to go for Ormistons, Bleazeys and Roses. Over there, it's all Busmans and Abells apparently. The OZ whistle bridges the gap by being far away from either continent. Then there are the exotics, with long waiting lists wherever you are (Philippe Bolton in France makes whistles with an 18 month wait at the present time, for instance, although I've never heard of one mentioned anywhere). They're all good, all different, imo. In my case I had to buy a few before I made up my mind, which is probably how most people do it.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

You might contact The Irish Flute Store or  Whistle and Drum. Both will allow you to return a whistle that proves to be the wrong choice for you. Something that can usually be decided pretty quickly. Of course this isn't always the case, I've had whistles that at first I didn't care for that became favorites after some familiarization.

People often talk about "breaking in" a whistle, flute, or recorder when, in reality, I think it's the player the gets broken in.

JD
jamndot

Post by jamndot »

OK Friends - what about a Gene Milligan? Does anyone have experience with them - I see they have a nice blackwood Hi-D. Thanks HUGE - for the two sites mentioned for checking out whistles. I think I found these sites some time ago - but forgot they were out there.

:thumbsup:
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

jamndot wrote:OK Friends - what about a Gene Milligan? Does anyone have experience with them
Of course. It is another good whistle. It is not a Chris Abell whistle. The question is, "Do you have experience with a Gene Milligan whistle?". I would humbly submit that you should not necessarily pick a whistle based on someone else's preferences unless you "have the money to buy a few $400- $500 whistles to try out". Get out and play some whistles and figure out what you really want.

You might want to read reviews of some whistle. Like here: http://www.tinwhistler.com/reviews.aspx
Google is your friend.

Or use the search facility here on C&F. Follow this link. You'd be hard pressed to find a whistle we haven't discussed here before.

Feadoggie
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

killthemessenger wrote:There seems to be a divide between the US and Europe over this issue. In Europe, people seem to go for Ormistons, Bleazeys and Roses. Over there, it's all Busmans and Abells apparently. The OZ whistle bridges the gap by being far away from either continent.
I wouldn't say there is any divide. Well except perhaps those that cause the fluctuation of the value of currencies around the globe. I think folks buy good whsitles when they have the funds to afford to do so regardless of the country of origin. I know I have. And when, as an example, the value of the US dollar is weak against the pound or Euro, those in the states may tend to buy American for the perceived higher value for their expenditure.

Otherwise it may just be a matter of thinking global but buying local. I do like it when I can "meet my maker" as it were.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jamndot wrote:Here's the problem - I don't know of any store fronts that have any of these whistles. I don't have the money to buy a few $400- $500 whistles to try out. Is there a place in the Bay Area (California) where I could actually see and try out whistles?
See if these sessions are still active, and maybe there will be whistles to be tried.

San Francisco, CA
http://www.thesession.org/sessions/inde ... rch=Search

Berkeley, CA

San Jose, CA

Santa Cruz, CA

Sonoma, CA