Under Pressure

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Under Pressure

Post by Dale »

I got a pressure cooker for Christmas. It's amazing. How have I cooked for all these years without one?

You throw a 3 lb chunk of beef in it, a couple of potatoes and some carrots. Splash some seasoned fluid of some kind in there. Seal it up. Bring it up to pressure. Cook for 35 minutes or so, and you got yourself a roast dinner for the family.

Tonight I peeled, cored, and sliced 4 apples. Put in in with a half-cup of one of those "Naked" juices. A little cinnamon, nutmeg, and a touch of honey. Sealed it, brought it up to pressure and then immediately took it off the stove, cooled it, opened. You got your hot stewed apples. Delicious, and after no more than 2 minutes cooking at full pressure, almost over-cooked.
mutepointe

Re: Under Pressure

Post by mutepointe »

My Mom says that I'm not allowed to use a pressure cooker.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

mutepointe wrote:My Mom says that I'm not allowed to use a pressure cooker.
Do what your Mom says, mutepointe. You could put someone's eye out with that.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

They can be great from what Ive heard. Time, fuel efficiency, and less water used are just three I can think of, but I am sure there are more. Just wish I could find one that was all metal, then I'd buy one. Can't stand plastic, rubber, and wood in cookware.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Dale wrote:
mutepointe wrote:My Mom says that I'm not allowed to use a pressure cooker.
Do what your Mom says, mutepointe. You could put someone's eye out with that.
Grandma lost a bit of her nose. Nothing hideous.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

My mom would have been more worried about me experimenting with air to fuel to pressure mixtures with alcohol, oil, and other stuff and what kind of damage it might do to the lab/bunkers I tended to make. She was worried about your safety? Appreciate that one.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In Ireland the pressure-cooker was a necessity. Boiling spuds? Without the pressure-cooker they take hours.

I sometimes wonder how we manage without one. Then I remember: mostly rice, mostly pasta.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

BigDavy wrote:Prestige pressure cooker

David
"virgin aluminium", so it can obviously stand up to PEER pressure.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nela Rubinstein's Boiled Beef(or Bison) with horseradish sauce and cooked potatoes and cabbage works great under pressure.
Virgin aluminum? I prefer getting foiled again...and again...uses less energy...like a pressure cooker.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

You have to know what you're doing with a pressure cooker, just like driving a car. Do the wrong thing, and you can end up with the contents of the cooker pasted to your kitchen ceiling, which is better than a head-on collision but just as scary at the time. Pressure cookers make me a bit nervous, I'm afraid to say. I'm always listening to the weight that is jiggling on top of the cooker. If it stops jiggling, that means that the vapor release stem has gotten plugged up (don't cook beans), and, of course, the only way out at that point is the safety plug also on the top, which is not a pretty sight. My wife says that I worry to much.