Identify this tin whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: Identify this tin whistle?

Post by Denny »

Feadoggie wrote:Let's not discuss the cost of Sir Jimmy's flute.
business expense, innit
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

luketinwhistle wrote:I'm definitely going to have a clip on microphone on my whistle when we rehearse and practice. My brother plays bass guitar and we got a lot of sound system equipment here too. What do you think now that i know what whistle it is, should i go ahead and purchase it or stick with my oak?
I agree with Feadoggie in that a clip on mic isn't what you need. Try a vocal mic on a stand first and play as close to the mic as you can. If you have lots of sound system equipment, experiment with different mics, but bear in mind that the sound from a whistle comes mainly from the window, not from the end. There are quite a lot of threads on which mics to use with whistles already with comments from folk with a lot more experience than I have.

It's probably best to let someone do the mixing / processing for you. I play fairly regularly with a group of random instruments and with different guys on the mixing desk. I suspect that they add far too much reverb, but I have to trust their ears.

And yes, stick with the Oak. Two months is a very short time to master a new whistle, particularly if you shave off a couple of weeks for delivery.

Good luck!
Lancelot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lancelot »

Luke, I'd say stick with the whistle you've got. I've never been able to find out what whistle was used in the actual soundtrack in the first 'appearance' of the theme in Fellowship of the Ring. All I know is that it was played by Alan Doherty, who moves around the world and may be currently in Germany. For more info on who played what where and in which of the three sub-movies, check here> http://www.amagpiesnest.com/instruments ... bbiton.htm
Look at the last entry on the page for the whistle.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Lancelot wrote:http://www.amagpiesnest.com/instruments ... bbiton.htm
Look at the last entry on the page for the whistle.
Thanks, that's an interesting page. Those questions about who played what in what come up often enough.
Lancelot wrote:I've never been able to find out what whistle was used in the actual soundtrack in the first 'appearance' of the theme in Fellowship of the Ring. All I know is that it was played by Alan Doherty
Alan and I traded whistles a few years ago, and he was playing Goldie/Overton whistles at the time. So it wouldn't surprise me if that's what he used.

viewtopic.php?p=685157#p685157
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

Whatever it was, it seemed to my untrained ear that it had quite a pure sound.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Lancelot wrote:Whatever it was, it seemed to my untrained ear that it had quite a pure sound.
It's movie magic. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Lancelot

Post by Lancelot »

If there is any movie in which real magic was involved, that one is it. It finally surpassed Lawrence of Arabia as my favourite movie.