Fave cheap whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

My favorite cheap-o whistle is...

Clarke original
20%
Clarke sweetone/meg
21%
Generation
20%
Walton's
5%
Acorn
2%
Oak
8%
Susato
8%
Shaw
1%
Feadog
7%
Clare
8%

Total votes: 97

TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fave cheap whistle?

Post by TelegramSam »

So, what's your favorite cheap whistle? (if I've left something out, sorry, it limits the # of poll options)
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Hmm... Interesting poll.

Seems 100% of TelegramSams prefer the Oak:

"Mmhhh... same blisters as cocus or blackwood at a fraction of the price" :P
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I've never had a problem with blisters or the "numblips" thing that people always whine about. I'm not denying the existance of such phenomena, but my oak is fine, so go blister yourself, zoob!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Well,I'm quite fond of my Clarke Original 'D',Oak and Feadog mk 1,But my old generation 'Redtop' has to be my favourite 'cheapo'- Well they were good enough for Micho Russell weren't they? :D (Didn't stop me from buying Sindts and a Fred Rose though!)
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I voted for Generation, because that is what I play most, but my old Feadog McCullough Piggott is a very close second. I am not entirely convinced by modern Feadogs or Oaks, and don't like Waltons much for no reason in particular.

I think the Susato sholdn't be included in this poll. It is not a classic cheapo by my book and $20 is lot more than $7, $9, or $10, not to mention the Sweetones & Megs.
/Bloomfield
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Whine whine whine, bloo.

Only 1 person has voted for it so far anyhow so :P
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I whine therefore I am.

And then I've got this terrible pain down all the dials on my left-hand side, but does anyone care about that?
/Bloomfield
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

My brass Gen D has a Feadog #III on it. It sounds more like Gen so I voted for Generation. 8)
Mike
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

So far my Sweettone D is my favorite for around the house. Don't care for the Meg. But lately I'm getting more into my Walton.

I don't own an Oak but I did order three Gens from Elderly's last week so I may change my tune.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Love my Clarke Origs a lot, but I also love my Sweetones... pity you can't vote for more than one...
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Generations, though I wish their quality control was a bit better. Love the sound and ease of play of a good Generation.

I like the Feadog (MK3, all I've tried) too - the couple I bought were both well-in-tune as received, with no need to tweek. But the sound is a bit more breathy than the Gens, and they require more careful breath control to avoid the occasional squeek.

The Walton's Brass C is very nice, though breathy - lovely tone, and very forgiving. Much nicer than the Walton's/Soodlum Brass D, which I'd rate as only fair - the tone doesn't excite me, very prone to chirp and squeek, and the one sample I have required more tweeking than any of my Generations to be playable due to poor quality control. I should probably try the Mellow D to see whether it is more like the C or the standard D in playability.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I voted for the Feadog because it's tuning is very good. (A necessity because I play in a band.) Also, it's unpainted brass surface lets it double as a guitar slide. :D

However, my Feadog sports a Walton LBW head with poster tack in the cavity. I call it my "Little Black Dog."

No, that's not the whistle, it's my new puppy, "Shadow."

Gary
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I voted Susato, although my favorite cheap whistle is the VSB, definitely not the SB. Some people seem to get such a kick out of dissing Susato (probably based on the reputation of the SB) that they conveniently fail to make a distinction between these two very different whistles.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Generations, not ifs, ands or butts. But I don`t know how to vote for it yet, unless its like automatic. Haven`t tried a lot of these whistles, my Oak sucked until I put an O`grady head on it, I like my Clarke Original alot, but a tweeked Gen is a thing of beauty.

Tom