A plea for using real names on this forum

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A plea for using real names on this forum

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Sure, David... ;)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Ronnie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ronnie »

In fact everybody knows Julia so this post was irrelevant lol
Waterfall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Waterfall »

I'd hate the Internet to have my personal information - it is bad enough that Inland Revenue does.
Never give up trying to eff the ineffable.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Waterfall wrote:I'd hate the Internet to have my personal information - it is bad enough that Inland Revenue does.
But it does anyway, Waterfall. It took me two seconds to find you on Myspace, from where it is pretty easy to get quite a lot more. My point is not that you should be more careful, but that there's no point in being careful. We're out there, whether we like it or not.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Ronnie wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Ronnie wrote:Wouldn't you like to know with who you are talking?
There are plenty of people who know my actual given name but who, after years of acquaintance, keep demonstrating that they apparently still don't know who they're talking to.
So it wouldn't really matter if you use your real name or not. Maybe just erase this post for being not relevant :)

Goodmorning Denny, its evening here so I'm off to the session in a bit ;-)
:D I would hope so!

but, it was before noon for Nanohedron
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Denny

Post by Denny »

benhall.1 wrote:
Waterfall wrote:I'd hate the Internet to have my personal information - it is bad enough that Inland Revenue does.
But it does anyway, Waterfall. It took me two seconds to find you on Myspace, from where it is pretty easy to get quite a lot more. My point is not that you should be more careful, but that there's no point in being careful. We're out there, whether we like it or not.
futile...

what's only a bit different from fraught :really:
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Some of you if not all are on Facebook, google etc. The "Net" even knows the size of your shoes. Finding telephone numbers from every one of you is dead easy. My name and surname is splattered over the Net. And you feel safe here? Better talk about flutes now. Had a mighty session in Ghent. Oops now you know where I live :D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yesterday I had a communication suggesting I wish my sister a happy birthday. I know that her birthday is not January 1st, but U.S. Cloud applications insist on a birthday, while security advisors tell you not (necessarily) to enter your correct birthdate, so as to foil identity theft.
My address is not on FB, nor is my phone number. The internets may have a cluster of information on me, but some of it is contradictory and a portion of it is inaccurate.
For the purposes if this forum I use an alias. I have three aliases I use on the internets, for different purposes. These are not sock-puppets, as I have only one identity on any forum or social network.
If real names are an issue for you, I suggest you pm anyone whose real name you wish to know. If they don't reply in a satisfactory way you could have the pleasure of blocking them.
And in a spirit of mysticism, I suggest that perhaps Innocent Bystander is my *real* name, although not my family or given name, but the name that reflects who I really am. :twisted:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

My name was put upon me, my name on the left was one I chose. Somehow I got the nickname ID.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

O.K. guys lets close this post. Nuff said. People who want to use nick names (Innocent bystander?) can do as they please. My plea obviously didn't get much support on the matter and its really of no real importance. Use whatever name you want but would you please use your full name and surname in future when you PM me? :wink:
All the best to every-one on this forum.
Yours sincerely,
Ronnie Bracke
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Ronnie wrote:O.K. guys lets close this post. Nuff said. People who want to use nick names (Innocent bystander?) can do as they please. My plea obviously didn't get much support on the matter and its really of no real importance. Use whatever name you want but would you please use your full name and surname in future when you PM me? :wink:
All the best to every-one on this forum.
Yours sincerely,
Ronnie Bracke
Ya know, that seems a fair enough request to me. Personally, I'll respond to anybody. But it does make me feel warmer towards someone, and more inclined to help - beyond that assistance which is required of me, of course - if I know who I'm talking to.

Mind, you still have to accept that fact that some people will not accede to that request either. And that's their prerogative.

Me, I'll go on using my cryptic pseudonym. Nobody will ever guess who I am.

"Name?"
"Don't tell him, Pike!"
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

I'm with Ben. I like knowing who I'm talking to.

This goes double when folks start staking out dogmatic positions or going way out on a rhetorical limb. It's natural to wonder just who the opinionated person is, not just name but what sort of experience or education their perspective is based on, especially regarding whether they just talk about flutes online or actually play one with any degree of understanding.

I say have the courage of your convictions - use your real name!

Rob
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Even if folks don't want to use their real/full names, it is often useful to know where posters are located (at least generally); particularly when there are references to nearby shops and sessions or in the FS/FT listings.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I don't think I am allowed to use my real name, having been banned so often.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Denny

Post by Denny »

b-b-but you have so many banned names!