3Fish Chowder

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Dale wrote:Chicken stock is really what I mean. Just liquid, not solids in it. But, I buy it in containers that are labelled chicken broth.
If I understand correctly, stock is made from bones and broth is made from meat. Here in Amerikay, anyway. Some guy on the Food Network said so, so naturally I buy that. "Saw it on TV and all" sort of thing, you know. Of course, if you're making a soup from stock, the stock colloquially gets called the broth once it's soup. Go figure.

Word to the wise: if you're making stock from fowl, don't boil the bones. Simmer them if you want the stock to be nice and clear, otherwise boiling makes for cloudy stock, and we don't like cloudy stock. Why this isn't an issue with other stocks is a mystery to me.
Yay! I learned that on Good Eats. Alton Brown is sexy.
Sorry. I saw an episode where he had his shirt off. All I can say is that the man either has a rock-solid ego, or very little of one at all. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Typically, in the grocery store you can buy canned or dehydrated "chicken broth", which is pretty flat flavored, made of chicken and water. It's pretty common.

A rarer find is "chicken stock", which is actually made with chicken bones and vegetables.

Chicken broth is pale yellow. Chicken stock is brown. I know "broth" and "stock" are supposed to mean essentially the same thing, but that's not the case in the grocery store.

This is the stock I most often see in stores:

(that's not my picture)

Here's a typical broth

To me, cans of chicken broth like this taste indistinguishable from chicken bullion.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

you can clarify a cloudy stock with egg whites and egg shells. the stock should be at a bare simmer; gently slip the egg whites and shells on top of the stock. In a few minutes all that guck will stick to the egg whites and the sauce should clear up.

Gotten from Julia Child, I think... somewhere

PS the chowdah recipe is the same as mine that I stole from a book called "Cod". Really....
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Actually, most chicken broth/stock that is sold as a powder is a bunch of chemicals that "taste like" chicken soup, but there is actually no chicken in it. If you're lucky, someone might have waved a rubber chicken over it, but that's about it. Tasty!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Over here everything that is used as a base for soup/sauce/etc is stock. To us Broth is a type of soup.

Answers.com has the following definition:
1)The water in which meat, fish, or vegetables have been boiled; stock.
2)A thin, clear soup based on stock, to which rice, barley, meat, or vegetables may be added.
3)A liquid containing nutrients for culturing microorganisms: “[They] grew bacteria in a small flask of broth” (Horace Freeland Judson).

Part of the definition of Stock from the same site:
The broth in which meat, fish, bones, or vegetables are simmered for a relatively long period, used as a base in preparing soup, gravy, or sauces.

So it seems broth is stock and stock is broth.

Now I'm really hungry and feel like cooking some good hearty broth like my mum makes.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Making your own chicken stock is a cinch and is so much better than anything you can buy in the store that there's no contest. I make 3 or 4 quarts at a time and freeze it in 2- or 4-cup-size containers. You can use it in soups or in place of water when cooking rice or vegetables...it's delicious. Our local butcher shop sells chicken bones with some meat still on them for way cheap -- 99 cents Canadian for about 4 pounds.

Take 3-4 pounds of chicken parts and/or bones
1 cup chopped onion (don't even bother to peel it)
1 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 sprig of fresh thyme or a pinch of dried thyme
1/2 bay leaf
A few sprigs of fresh parsley
A teaspoon or more of salt
Four quarts of water

Put everything together in a stockpot, bring almost to a boil and then simmer, partially covered for at least 2 hours. Strain, refrigerate for a day, skim off any fat, then put in containers and freeze.

Another wonderful and simple stock is shrimp stock: if you buy shrimp with their shells on, don't throw the shells away...use them for this stock:

4 cups of shrimp shells (from about 2 pounds of shrimp)
1 tsp salt
4.5 cups of water

Combine everything in a saucepan, bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, cool, and strain. Keep in fridge for up to 2 days or freeze. This is good as the basis for any fish soup, shrimp soup, or garlic soup.

Also note that, in the US at least, almost all shrimp that you buy in the supermarket were sold to the market frozen and then thawed for sale, so you're best off buying frozen shrimp and thawing them yourself at home.

The recipes above are from Mark Bittman.
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

Bloomfield wrote:
salt pork
So named because it is salt-cured, this is a layer of fat (usually with some streaks of lean) that is cut from the pig's belly and sides. Salt pork is often confused with fatback, which is unsalted. It varies in degree of saltiness and often must be blanched to extract excess salt before being used. It's similar to bacon but much fattier and unsmoked. Salt pork can be refrigerated tightly wrapped for up to a month. It's used primarily as a flavoring and is an important ingredient in many dishes throughout New England and the South.

MMMMMMMMMMMM!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Bloomfield wrote:
salt pork
So named because it is salt-cured, this is a layer of fat (usually with some streaks of lean) that is cut from the pig's belly and sides. Salt pork is often confused with fatback, which is unsalted. It varies in degree of saltiness and often must be blanched to extract excess salt before being used. It's similar to bacon but much fattier and unsmoked. Salt pork can be refrigerated tightly wrapped for up to a month. It's used primarily as a flavoring and is an important ingredient in many dishes throughout New England and the South.
In the past, I believe, salt curing meat use to be done with more than just side and belly pork. Prior to and including the civil war salt pork was given out as a ration and it often the whole butchered pig that was salted not just the fatty sections. I often wonder what many of the older recipes tasted like with the older ingredients.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Dale
The Landlord

Re: 3Fish Chowder

Post by Dale »

Making my annual batch today. Merry Christmas to all!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Dale wrote:Making my annual batch today. Merry Christmas to all!
Does it last the whole year? :boggle:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

dwest wrote:
Dale wrote:Making my annual batch today. Merry Christmas to all!
Does it last the whole year? :boggle:
No. I just can't afford it more often. $ or calories.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Is it just me or does it seem a bit odd to confuse chowder and fruit cake?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:Is it just me or does it seem a bit odd to confuse chowder and fruit cake?
I should say so. But what makes you ask such an outlandish question?

No delicious Yule chowder for me today, unfortunately. But does scampi do the job? With prime rib, a tatty, and asparagus?

Drambuie to follow... :pint:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Asparagus is the queen, well, actually, the king of all vegetables.
maki

Post by maki »

gonzo914 wrote:
Dale wrote: When served in bowls (the recommended method) garnish with a little chopped parsley or dried green onion.
How else would one serve this stuff?
On the West Coast chowders are often served in hollowed out sourdough loafs.
Its a double down on comfort food!

NOM, NOM, NOM!!!!

Which reminds me;
Does anyone else make bread?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Foo ... A-Day.aspx