Biggest Influence

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
john

Post by john »

on patrick d'arcy's page there is a recording of the wicklow tionol from a few years ago

on leo rickard's segment he plays corney is coming and at the very end he plays about 4 g-f-e triplets back to back - i think this might be the sort of thing people are referring to here
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

Never heard of a "dodectuplet" (must be alien) but "dodecamaniac" might appropriately describe a person with 12 different faces attempting to leave one note off of a decatuplet, in an attempt to produce 9 fluttering notes while playing the nose flute... :lol:
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

The g, f#, e, d, C#, d, C#, B, A, G, F#, E, D dodeccatuplet can be very affective as a last pass in hornpipes.... maybe that's a few too many for a dodeccatuplet... what's the equivelant of a 13 noter? :wink: Beware.... 13 is unlucky for some :wink:

Patrick.
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

13 would be a triscadecadoublet? Sounds like Highland piping's dreaded Crunlauth Amach.
Marc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: marcpipes on 2002-11-08 19:31 ]</font>
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

P.S. Paddy of the Chieftains. First uilleann piper I heard, still one of my favorites to listen to and still alot of the yardstick(okay he's taller than that ;P) by which I measure music technique, chanter tone and expression.
Marc
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Biggest influence

Post by stew »

If I had never heard Davy Spallane play Midnight Walker I would have became a piper, my new horoe's are sean potts~Martin Nolan, and a couple of older chaps Willy clancy~seamus ennis

STEW 8)
janice

Post by janice »

Tim Britton, and by extension, Seamus Ennis. I'm originally a jazzer, so Tim's style of playing really intrigued me when I first began learning the pipes. As I've gotten older, I find I keep going back to more and more recordings of the older players(Willy Clancy et al).

Weirdly enough, my first Irish trad cassette was the Seamus Ennis "Bonny Bunch of Roses" that my mom gave me a long time ago. She'd bought it thinking that it was a highland pipes recording and was dissapointed to discover that it was those 'funny Irish pipes' instead. So she gave it to me.(at the time, I didn't know what they were either!)
Harry

Post by Harry »

From the last page on this topic:-
Lorenzo wrote: Do you recall which note (or notes) were included in the noctuplet? Would this ornament be used on jigs mostly or maybe HPs also. I'm trying to imagine time for 9 quickies in a reel! :???:
For anyone intrested in hearing Andy Conroy's piping the word is that NPU will soon release a collection of recordings of him as part of their excellent "The Master Pipers" series. I'm just listening to a copy of No.2 in the series (hot off the press!) which focuses on Tommy Kearney's playing. Brilliant.

Regards, Harry.
jordan

Post by jordan »

John McSherry! His playing on the first Lunasa album is unreal. Lot's of innovative stuff, and soooo musical. Got to see him do some of that stuff in person... mindblowing. (By the way, has anybody figured out what he's doing to the Cnat in the "Gavotte" on that album (1st track, 2nd tune, 3rd beat of each bar in the a part)?)
Definately Paddy Maloney, and Seamus Ennis too. Bonny Bunch of Roses was my first major intro to solo piping, and I have learned (and continue to learn) tonnes from it.
cheers,
jordan
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Re- Andy Conroy

I have several examples on cassette tape of Andy's playing including Maud Gonne. I don't have the technical skill or equipment to post them onto the forum though. If somebody is interested in doing this I will gladlly send them a copy of Andy's playing.

This extreme staccato style of playing is not to everyone's taste though. I played it for Joe Skelton (Galway whistle and flute player) and he thought that it was rubbish.

Andy's playing would be very difficult to transcribe properly.

Cheers

John
janice

Post by janice »

John-I really love Andy Conroy's piping(I play his version of Harvest Home)-I'd appreciate any clips you could send my way.
Thanks-janice :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You know what they say about Andy Conroy [and he may have said it himself] 'It's interesting, but is it music??'
I think he was just taking the piss.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Jordan,

If you liked McSherry's playin giwth Lunasa, you might also like to know he was the piper on the "Waking Ned Devine" soundtrack as well. A great bit of music there too.

For my own part, I think I'd have to say *gulp* Davy Spillane as well - just as far as influence goes. It was hearing his pipes both on Riverdance, and Enya's recordings (not to mention low whistle) that really got me interested in the sound.

I KNOW I'll find more influence now that I know more about pipes and all, but to date, he's the bugger that got me started really....

B~
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Fellow Forum contributor Xelius has to be my biggest influence-it was hearing him play recently that encouraged me to take the plunge and order my own Davy Stephenson Holly practice set ! :D My favourite players to date must be Willie Clancy,Leo Rowsome,Ronan Browne and Sean Potts.Mind you,I've been listening to Robbie Hannan's 'Traditional music..' this afternoon-very enjoyable,and I do like Leo Rickard's 'Pure Piping' album as well.Seamus Ennis is growing on me.I still have MUCH to learn and pipers to hear! :D
janice

Post by janice »

Well the same thing(that's said about Andy Conroy' piping) is said about John Cage's music!!! :wink: