Best National Park To Play In

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jackorion

Best National Park To Play In

Post by jackorion »

Looking to read about great places to play in parks.

I'll throw a vote in for Zion in Utah. About half way up on "Outlook trail" just past the mile tunnel heading east, there is a natural amplifier that faces into a tall narrow canyon about 50 yards infront of you. You stand under a large arch overhang that realy throws the sound out creating an unreal echo.

I played a high and low D both Overtons. The low D filled the air and claimed the nicer playing excperiance. Many people were excited about the sound, and were not able to figure out where it was coming from untill they came apon me.

The top of the trail stops above the Great Arch, besides the amazing view, it's a great place to play as well. But for my ears not as impressive as the first stop, which you get to play at again on the way down.

I should also give a nod to Kings Canyon in California. Not up to par with Zion though.

Jack "no park to far to drive my car" Orion
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

How about a state park? There's nothing quite like playing among the redwoods, and we have two great places to do just that near our home...Henry Cowell's Redwoods State Park and Big Basin State Park. And, as far as an interesting place to play goes, you can't beat the Fremont Tree! (it's a hollow...but still living and standing...redwood that Fremont allegedly camped in). And don't believe what you hear about that tree being haunted! It was really...well, I guess I'd better take the Fifth at this point. All I can say is that a Generation really sounds different coming from inside a 1000 year old tree! :wink:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I'll take state parks. I make it up to Big Sur a couple times a year so I'll be sure to check those parks out. Thanks.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I played at Rocky Mtn Natl Park in CO last year. Somewhat above 11,000 feet made for interesting breath control issues.

Also played on the top of Kennesaw Mtn in Georgia. Not a real mountain by Rocky, Alp and Andies standards but easier to breath. It was so hot that I think the sound stopped about three feet away in the humid air and gave up.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'll cast a vote for Acadia. There are lots of rocky beaches, facing various directions, so that you can play along with the surf, or with the moon reflecting off a calm ocean. The thing about Acadia that never ceases to amaze me is that it's so easy to isolate yourself. It's a small park, and has maybe the second- or third-most visitors of any of the national parks, but if you go 100 meters from any main road, there's almost nobody.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I grew up within an hour of Zion Park, I've spent countless hours and days there, and it's probably my favorite park. However, could I make a plea here for courtesy in when and where we all play our whistles? I'm afraid if I went to Zion and heard someone playing whistles, they'd have heard about it from me - very clearly. I love the sound of a whistle (would I be here otherwise?) but like to choose where and when I hear it and not have it forced upon me, any more than I'd want someone playing Nine Inch Nails, Vivaldi, or anything else in a place where I'd gone to get away from the noise of the world. Not a rant, just asking for folks to think about it before you play any kind of music in a wilderness/national park/state park type area.
Susan
Last edited by susnfx on Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
janice

Post by janice »

Bruce Peninula National Park(Ontario,Canada).
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Two years ago, kayaking and whistling in Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland and Labrador.

http://www2.parkscanada.gc.ca/parks/new ... orne_e.htm

From sea level to mountain tops, I will go back! Awesome time in one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I love Zion, Arches, and the Canyonlands of Utah...but last summer our band was hired to play for a convention in Glacier Nat'l Park, Montana, US. Wow! Totally Pristina! Comes with grizzly bears at no extra fee, and a narrow, winding road (paved) over the Rockies (Logan Pass), speed limit 5mph, with pull-outs for passing, and plenty of mountain heather.
Last edited by Lorenzo on Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Acadia National Park, in Bar Harbor, Maine, is an incredibly special place. The carriage trails make getting around, picturesque and easy, and the scenery on the rocky Maine coast is breathtaking...When you are finished playing, at any of a dozen sites, please visit Eddie and Anne Damm, the owners of Song of the Sea, at Bar Harbor. Better shop owners and whistle afficianados you will not find...The 'whistle lady' at the shop is Patti. Tell her I said hello...

This place is my honorary second home. No place quite like it...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

susnfx wrote:I grew up within an hour of Zion Park, I've spent countless hours and days there, and it's probably my favorite park. However, could I make a plea here for courtesy in when and where we all play our whistles? I'm afraid if I went to Zion and heard someone playing whistles, they'd have heard about it from me - very clearly. I love the sound of a whistle (would I be here otherwise?) but like to choose where and when I hear it and not have it forced upon me, any more than I'd want someone playing Nine Inch Nails, Vivaldi, or anything else in a place where I'd gone to get away from the noise of the world. Not a rant, just asking for folks to think about it before you play any kind of music in a wilderness/national park/state park type area.
Susan
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Susan on this! I have always loved the piece and tranquility of the mountains, the ability to just get away from it all and be by ones self to think and meditate. To be at one with nature as they say. Playing loudly in such a setting is no different than some inconsiderate punk carrying a boombox with him. It doesn't matter how lovely the music may be, it disturbs to peacefulness of the suroundings.

While I agree that it is very pieceful and realxing to play is such beautiful surroundings, please have some consideration for others who may be nearby (even if you can't see them) who DON'T want to hear you play. If you want to play, at least bring a quiet whistle (say a Hoover) with you. You can still enjoy your music in the beautiful surrounding without imposing it on others.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Eh... I like playing in Rock Creek Park here in Washington, DC. When you get tired of playing you can walk over to Starbuck's, or maybe Nanny O'Brien's for a pint. Actually, it's probably better to skip the park and just play at Nanny's, that way you don't have to walk so far.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I haven't had a chance to play my whistle in a park yet. :( I took it up after I got back from my big long trip in which I visited many State/National parks in the US and Canada.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

I hear ya Susnfx. I feel the same way, so I'll only blow a short dity here and there. I first test the area with a yelp our mouth whistle. If there is good reverb then I'll pull out a whistle.

Funny thing, while I was on my way up the Outlook trail, a fellow passed by and mentioned a memorial taking place at the top of the trail. I didn't even have my whistles with me at the time. I headed back down and waited for the twenty plus group to come off the trail, at which time I grabed two whistles and a shortwave to check the propogation, and went back up.

Personaly for me, in some ways just the presence of people can be annoying, thus I try to hit parks up on week days. I have found the less people there are around the more friendly people become. Most stop and ask for more. or comment how nice it sounds. The sound of a canyon can be just as important as the view, and it's nice to hear what a canyon can do to sound. I do keep it short and sweet though.

For extended playing, Big Sur is the place for me. Tons of secluded places to pull up a rock facing the ocean and play to the guls, who always check it out.
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I must say, that sounds... amazing.

Ha nellaos bain...
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë