Holy Blazing Busmans, Batman!!! -- Physical review...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Holy Blazing Busmans, Batman!!! -- Physical review...

Post by serpent »

Today, it came, and I am as speechless as you will ever see me. I am the proud possessor of a Busman High D in Gaboon ebony and brass.

I'm in awe of this whistle, or more correctly, I'm in awe of the level of craftsmanship exhibited by the man who made it. Allow me to expand...

The wood is smooth and silky to the touch. The finish doesn't glare - it simply exhibits a sheen like that of a well-worn handrail. To touch this instrument is like running your fingers over a lover's hand. It touches you back, with love. There are no sharp edges anywhere - the fingerholes are simply perfectly finished in such a way as to allow the most delicate or coarse of fingers, to close them properly.

The brass is warm, again, not glaring. Smooth and reflective, with a look almost of an antique gold coin.

The fit and finish of the tuning slide is, like the rest of the instrument, utterly impeccable. Paul uses commercial telescoping brass tubing in a way that is simply art! I have never seen a more mechanically-perfect tuning slide methodology.

The windway is curved and perfectly machined. I find it incredible that Paul can do this with wood, so perfectly that there is not the slightest offset from the curve at the top of the fipple plug, to the blade.

The brass, again. The fittings are made especially for Paul, and he has chosen a fine craftsperson whose work complements the quality of the rest of the instrument.

I played the whistle, and it sings like an angel. But that is a subject for another review. At this point, let me tell you: If you don't buy a whistle from Paul Busman right now, while they're still affordable, you are going to be sorry. I make whistles for a part of my living, and they're very, very good whistles. The Busman, however, is simply stellar. I stand in awe of the skill of this man, and my playing is utterly unworthy of the whistle I have purchased from him.

I handle my Busman High D with great reverence.
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Oh, God....what are you doing to me, Serpie? Tax refund....tax refund.....tax refund.....

:D :o
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I've got my order in! I'm really excited...I've wanted one of Paul's whistles since I first started putting out feelers for good high-end whistles months and months ago.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
msheldon

Re: Holy Blazing Busmans, Batman!!! -- Physical review...

Post by msheldon »

Sigh, they're quite beautiful, and the price is really reasonable...

But high whistles just aren't my thing, and there's no way I could justify the money for a whistle I wouldn't play that much. Not to mention that it would be a waste of an amazing whistle.

Now, if it was in low-F....
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Wow...
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

A Busman is next on my list! A high D in Purpleheart.. or maybe Bocote... or maybe both!....
...or maybe I should go pay some bills now. :lol:
Seriously though, you're right when you say now's the time to buy. Though I don't own one, I can tell just from pictures and reviews that they're worth much more than they're sold for. Don't get any ideas though, Paul! :wink: You'll be hearing from me soon, I hope!
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Yea, verily, Serpent...This has been such a busy time for me, that my Kingwood Busman has not had the playing time it deserves. Yesterday, I found the time. I found myself simply looking at the instrument for a bit. It is truly a thing of beauty. I am, as you, awed by the windway. How does he DO that with a piece of wood?

I am a metal whistle guy, but since I want to own one wooden whistle, I am so glad Paul made it for me.

Best to all.
Byll http://chiffboard.mati.ca/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tantus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Tantus »

Yes, I like mine a lot too. People have been commenting on it since I got it.

Nick
chas

Post by chas »

Bill, is "Physical Review" a play on the "BEHEMOTH LEGENDARY" physics journal? :P

Sara -- I don't think you could go wrong with either purpleheart or bocote. I've had my bocote whistle for about 10 months now, and, while the wood has darkened somewhat, it still has a lot of its initial charm. I've never seen anything like it. I think purpleheart loses a little more -- when it darkens, it loses much more contrast. It's still lovely stuff, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Byll wrote:Yea, verily, Serpent...This has been such a busy time for me, that my Kingwood Busman has not had the playing time it deserves. Yesterday, I found the time. I found myself simply looking at the instrument for a bit. It is truly a thing of beauty. I am, as you, awed by the windway. How does he DO that with a piece of wood?

I am a metal whistle guy, but since I want to own one wooden whistle, I am so glad Paul made it for me.

Best to all.
Byll http://chiffboard.mati.ca/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif
Kingwood's what I'm getting too...lovely wood! It's the one I wanted initially, and the one I kept coming back to. It's hard to choose, though...so many beautiful woods, so little ready cash! :wink:

We have a rocking horse that my dad made for my daughter that has purpleheart inlay...it's remained very attractive (it's about 9 years old), though it isn't as distinctly purple as it once was ('course, it spends most of its time in front of a sunny window, which I'm sure affects the color).

Redwolf
serpent

Glaringly Obvious...

Post by serpent »

Paul's love for the wood and what he does with and for it, is glaringly obvious in his wonderful instruments. You have to have one in your hands to fully appreciate it. No photo I've seen does these whistles justice. The other thing I'll do is photograph mine myself, and will post the pictures on my website with a link to Paul's. I am that much in awe of his work. Soineanta, first the whistle, then the bills! I know! :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Can't wait to hear your sound review too. I've heard clips of them, and very much like what I hear.

Redwolf
Zubivka

THIS IS SCANDALOUS!

Post by Zubivka »

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Well, mine can't be far away now. I have some other prime timber on the way as well, Abell and Grinter to be precise, but nothing excites me more than the prospect of playing my brand new Busman. As far as anticipation goes: can be equalled (perhaps) but not bettered. :D
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

As a full time student in college with books to buy, I find this thread to be very unnerving... I WANT IT!! WANT IT!!! WANT IT!!! CANT AFFORD IT!!! :P Ok, I'm over that for now, great review serpent. My time will come soon enough