Feedback

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FascinatedWanderer
antispam: No

Feedback

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

So, I've done this a couple times on the flute forum, but I though I'd bother you guys for a change. My new whistle's gotten me playing at least as much whistle as flute these days, so let me know what you think.

Any/all constructive criticism is appreciated and welcome.

http://www.box.com/s/q30rxj116kdf396r64ty

-Thanks
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: Feedback

Post by StevieJ »

Hi there,

Haven't heard any of your flute offerings. For my taste, in the jig you emphasize the downbeat far too much. It sounds very laboured, verging on the comical - sorry to be so blunt. You really don't need to bash out that first beat - it will get quite enough importance just from being where it is. And whacking on the downbeat like that won't make up for deficient internal rhythm and lift, unfortunately.

The reel was a bit of a relief after that. :) I'm not a great fan of the no-tonguing-or-glottal-stopping style of playing. I think to really make it work your playing wants to be a bit cleaner all round.

Cheers
Steve
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

I don't feel qualified to comment on the standard of the playing, but I do like it 8)
What's the instrument?
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

It's certainly better than my playing. I have too much trouble with the ornamentation to make it sound that good.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
FascinatedWanderer

Thanks for the comments. I agree, the downbeat on the jig is definitely too hard.

The whistle is a Sindt, btw.
maki

Post by maki »

It sounds really good to me, but I'm a total n00b.
Can't wait for my Sindt, should be soon.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Overall, not bad at all. Maybe that jig downbeat could be a tad lighter, but in a session it would help you be heard as it is.
Did that reel speed up a bit as it went along? Was that intentional? I'm not complaining-- I end up doing that a lot of times too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
FascinatedWanderer

Yes, I think it definitely did speed up a bit. Totally, intentional obviously. :tomato:
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I like both tunes, and there's lots of good playing in there. To my ear, both are pretty rushed and frantic -- to the point of being stressful to listen to. That's exactly what happens to my playing when I turn the mic on.

I'm guessing these flow much better when you're just relaxing and having some fun with them.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde