I need a new head!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarkusT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I need a new head!

Post by MarkusT »

I have an old Fentum which is in very good condition, except for the head joint.
I am thinking of having a new head joint done for the flute since I think it can be a really good player. It's possible to play now and it feels just great.
I have never had any new parts done to my flutes and I don't know which makers that do this kind of stuff. A few names pops up, but I would be happy to get some suggestions!

/Markus
Steampacket

Re: I need a new head!

Post by Steampacket »

I'd suggest Chris Wilkes, Sam Murray or Hammy Hamilton as there are nearby (EU countries, no import tax). Pat Olwell or why not Michael Grinter but you risk import duty. You'll have to wait of course but if there's no hurry. I'm not sure if Wilkes is taking orders though these days. My Murray is at Sam's awaiting a new barrel and crack fix.
all the best
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Sam Murray is making a new headjoint for my antique flute, I don't know how it is yet but he makes great embouchure holes. It's better if you phone him though, or go find him in Galway, as I did.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Another vote for Sam. According to the Ceard an Cheoil series where he was featured, he did loads of restoring work back in the Belfast days. Maybe you could get a 'package deal' ;)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I had Jon C. (member here) make a new hj for my former Firth, Pond & Company flute. He did a wonderful job of it, and his price was reasonable. I also had Patrick O. make a new hj for my former R&R (#4117). Also did a stellar job of it. I did have to wait quite a while for Patrick to complete the hj. Good luck!

Arbo
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I think just about any of the quality makers can and at least sometimes will do this kind of job. You just have to talk to them. Just how bad is the original head, though? Post some pictures? I'm sure we'd all like to see some general pics of another Fentum. :-)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
I suggest Steffen Gabriel. Made me a fine head recently.
Cheers, Moritz
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

Thanks!
That's some great ideas!
The head has a nasty crack which is repaired (ugly but efficient). The head is lined so it doesn't really matter.
The main reason for a new head is some small cuts in the embouchure. I suspect that the flute has been hanging on the wall on a nail at some time or that someone without skills has been trying to improve the embouchure...
I also suspect that the head that I have isn't the original since there's no makers stamp on it (which there is on all other parts of the flute). I'll see if I can get some pictures up.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

My flute is in five sections, but the head has no name on it (the barrel does), and I think that is standard. I wonder if your perceived problems will be solved with a new head. Unless it is physically obvious that the head cannot perform, or you know that a particular embouchure cut is better for you, I wouldn't recommend the gamble. But it's your money.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Michel

Post by Michel »

Pol Jezequel could do that as well. He makes great embouchures, methinks.
If there are no tuning issues you could also have the crack fixed professionally and the embouchure cut re-done with old ivory or ivoirine.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

MarkusT wrote:Thanks!
That's some great ideas!
The head has a nasty crack which is repaired (ugly but efficient). The head is lined so it doesn't really matter.
The main reason for a new head is some small cuts in the embouchure. I suspect that the flute has been hanging on the wall on a nail at some time or that someone without skills has been trying to improve the embouchure...
I also suspect that the head that I have isn't the original since there's no makers stamp on it (which there is on all other parts of the flute). I'll see if I can get some pictures up.
I have seen very few flutes with a stamp on the head joint, I don't think they all were replacement heads, maybe they considered the barrel to be part of the section, and stamped that? If you post a photo of the head and flute, we can get an idea if it is repairable, it sounds like the head is still salvageable.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon