small hands

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Karen - Ohio

Post by Karen - Ohio »

I have struggled with a Seery Delrin keyless flute for almost a year now and my hands are just too small for the reach. Can anyone suggest a maker of nice flutes for smaller hands. This is so frustrating that I have all but given up and I am playing the silver flute. I love the Seery and really want to continue with the wooden flute. PLEASE pass on your suggestions.

Someone told me Casy Burns makes a good one - what do you think?
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

I played one particular Casey Burns small hands model, and it was harder for me than some others, because it had a wide bore. Sounds like you should aim for some sort of Rudall model. I've heard the M & E Rudall works well for people with small hands. Lehart flutes are also supposed to be good, although he's developing a bit of a waiting list. You could get an M & E without much of a wait.

If all else fails, you could get a Boehm model wood flute, which is what I'm playing. It doesn't sound like an Irish flute, but it does have the marvelous warmth and depth of wood.

Dana
Last edited by Dana on Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I also have quite small hands and nearly had to give up the wooden flute before I found that switching to piper-style fingering on both hands made it very easy to comfortably play. You might give this a try, it takes some getting used to at first, give it a few weeks, after that you'll never want to go back to classical style fingering...

Another alternative is to find a smaller holed baroque flute with a smaller span, particularly in the left hand. They won't be as loud as a large holed wooden flute, but you'd be able to continue using the silver flute style fingering.

Best of luck,

Michael
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I think my Dixon 3 piece polymer has an easy reach and small holes. Just another option.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second, the Dixon. Also the Casey
Burns for small hands in mopane (or
blackwood). I know an excellent
flute teacher with small hands who
plays the Casey Burns and likes
it fine. Also not immensely expensive.
BmacD

Post by BmacD »

Karen- My usual instrument is the 3 piece Dixon because of the easy reach but I have found it possible to play Zachiah blackburn's {Sunreed Instruments}large holed, long stretch flutes by using the pinky fingers on both hands. Have you tried using the little fingers on your Seery?
Best ,
Bruce
P.S. I am leaning toward the M&E Rudall as my next flute.
We have enough youth. How about a "fountain of smart".