Sam Murray Grenser on E-bay

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sam Murray Grenser on E-bay

Post by Steampacket »

There's a Sam Murray "Grenser" up on E-bay, 2 days or so left before the auction finishes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Important-Sam-M ... _500wt_914
Lars Larry Mór Mott
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Sam Murray Grenser on E-bay

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

You should buy it! After all it is 'important'.. :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
MarkusT

Post by MarkusT »

wow,

that's a beauty!
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

It has been re-listed twice already, I think - no takers so far!

And now there's an Olwell one on too! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250941165107
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Cool, a C# flute... :wink:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

It has been moving west. It was listed on Ebay last April, but was in Ontario at the time, I believe. The price has come down a bit...

Clinton
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

jemtheflute wrote:It has been re-listed twice already, I think - no takers so far!

And now there's an Olwell one on too! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250941165107
That's cool! I have a Rottenburgh (elder) that Patrick indicated was one of very few A415 traversi he made. Mine is rosewood (kingwood or maybe Brazilian rosewood) and doesn't look like this one. He said that for the batch mine was from, he made exact copies rather than messing with the design and tuning. He said he made a batch of A440 traversi that were either his own design or heavily modified.

If my flute is any indication, this should be a wonderful player.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I had a chance to try out this Flute a couple years back. it was very, very quiet. :o i passed on it, but that was just me
paddler

Post by paddler »

Ben Shaffer wrote:I had a chance to try out this Flute a couple years back. it was very, very quiet. :o i passed on it, but that was just me
Ben, are you referring to the Sam Murray Grenser (the main topic of this thread) or the Olwell (the flute discussed in the last post)? I don't own a baroque flute, but have been thinking about getting one and was wondering if either of these might be a good opportunity.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Ben, it is the nature of these flutes to be quiet. It wasn't made to be a session cannon.
This Olwell could in fact really be an important flute.
Olwell is one of the best makers ever to have made simple system flutes. He does marvelous restoration and knows as much about the design and function of antique flutes as anybody. I have the first keyed flute (four silver keys, medium-sized holes) he ever made -- circa 1983. No less a player than Ciaran Somers** said it was one of the best flutes he'd ever played. I'd be surprised if this Grenser copy didn't play better than the original on which it was based.
I don't know who the seller is, and I have no interest in this kind of flute, but I will be watching the auction with great interest.

** Faoi Blath : Ennis and USA Top Ten
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Ben, it is the nature of these flutes to be quiet. It wasn't made to be a session cannon.
This Olwell could in fact really be an important flute.
Olwell is one of the best makers ever to have made simple system flutes. He does marvelous restoration and knows as much about the design and function of antique flutes as anybody. I have the first keyed flute (four silver keys, medium-sized holes) he ever made -- circa 1983. No less a player than Ciaran Somers** said it was one of the best flutes he'd ever played. I'd be surprised if this Grenser copy didn't play better than the original on which it was based.
I don't know who the seller is, and I have no interest in this kind of flute, but I will be watching the auction with great interest.

I knew this statement would probably be coming. :) In my 40 years of playing the Flute, I've played a sh*t ton of Grenser copies. While none of them are going to blow your ear drums off, some actually have had pretty decent volume..... Sam's Grenser that I played, was again very quiet. That said it was a very nice looking Flute and well made, but not up there with the many of the Grenser copies I've played and no disrespect to Sam
paddler

Post by paddler »

Ben Shaffer wrote:Ben, it is the nature of these flutes to be quiet. It wasn't made to be a session cannon.
This Olwell could in fact really be an important flute

I knew this statement would probably be coming. :) In my 40 years of playing the Flute, I've played a sh*t ton of Grenser copies. While none of them are going to blow your ear drums off, some actually have had pretty decent volume..... Sam's Grenser that I played, was again very quiet. That said it was a very nice looking Flute and well made, but not up there with the many of the Grenser copies I've played and no disrespect to Sam
Ok, so it was the Murray Grenser you played that was very quiet .. even compared to other Grenser copies. That is useful information to know. Thanks!

The Olwell flute (the one that Julia Delaney was talking about) is in fact a G A Rottenburgh copy, not a Grenser at all, but it was not clear (to me at least) from your original post whether you had played that flute or the Murray flute. The Olwell does look like a very nice flute. I'm curious about what the likely selling price might be for that. The current offers have yet to reach the reserve.

Its interesting to have here two baroque flutes for sale from two of the top Irish flute makers. It makes me wonder how these are likely to compare with the best baroque flutes available. I don't own a baroque flute, but I have been considering getting one, so any information in this regard would be very helpful. Which modern makers are considered to be among the best for baroque flutes? The only one I really know about is Rod Cameron.
Denny

Post by Denny »

paddler wrote:The Olwell flute (the one that Julia Delaney was talking about) is in fact a G A Rottenburgh copy, not a Grenser
as Rod Cameron pointed out on another flute forum :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't know an awful lot about the many makers os baroque flutes, buy you can't go wrong with Rod Cameron. Folkers and Powell are another highly respected outfit in the US. Both make many different models, so if you want a rococo flute or an early baroque flute, either will make it for you. I have a Cameron Grenser (I think based on a flute from around 1760), which I find very easy to play. I also have an Olwell IH Rottenburgh, which has tremendous sound, but I find a little more difficult -- it.s a "real" baroque flute. I also have a Noy GA Rottenburgh, another from the rococo era, which is also a great flute, but I find more difficult than the others.

Of course, as with any opinions of the playability of flutes, YMMV, and I'm nowhere near an accomplished player.
Last edited by chas on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

Traverso makers as mentioned...
Cameron, Folkers and Powell, Kowalewsky, Polak... Just to name a few. There are more :)