old tunes in Eb or Ab?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Anyanka
antispam: No

old tunes in Eb or Ab?

Post by Anyanka »

I've just been given a pretty little old band flute (? Six holes plus one keyed hole) which appears to be in Eb. It sounds lovely, very loud, but unfortunately none of the tunes I play with other musicians are in Eb or Ab. Does anyone know of any suitable tunes that I could propose for my old English session?
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: old tunes in Eb or Ab?

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Tune the fiddles sharp.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Unfortunately (at the sessions i attend) people are very unwilling to re-tune..
Play a tune in B or Eb and you're on your own, save for maybe guitar or bouzouki accompaniment..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

The session I go to is a bit different as there's sheet music (a lot of the musicians come from a classical background), most instruments are chromatically rather than diatonically inclined, and there are tunes in a range of keys including a fair few in Bb. It's been a great excuse for acquiring lots of whistles (I still need an F...)
If I had a good piece in Eb or Ab, I could pass it on to the Person In Charge Of Choosing Tunes, but I feel it needs to be genuine, not just some old G trad transposed!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

If you're talking about playing from sheet music in any case, then get the Kerr's Merrie Melodies series of tune books. Loads of flat keys in there. At one time it appears that some publishers thought it essential to provide tunes in a variety of keys.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Thanks, Ben - have found a copy on Ebay!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

You're welcome. IMHO, they're brilliant books in any case. Hope they do the trick!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

There are 4 volumes of Kerr's, BTW.

Of course, if you find tunes in those keys, you'll need to transpose them to play them (read them readily) on your Eb flute, and they may not fit the tessitura well - you may have to do some 8ve folding too.

Post us a photo or three of your flute find!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Huh? Why will she have to transpose the tunes which are in those flat keys already, Jem? There are a few, as I'm sure you remember.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Here we go again... 'what do we mean by transpose?' :P
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Ooh! Can we have another argument, Peter? I've enjoyed the last couple. :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:Huh? Why will she have to transpose the tunes which are in those flat keys already, Jem? There are a few, as I'm sure you remember.
???
Yes, I remember - have copies.
Surely I don't have (to try) to explain the transposition thing to you, Ben, of all people?

The Eb flute is pitched a semitone higher than a standard concert flute, so to play the music at the same actual pitch as other (non-transposing) instruments but preserving normal notation/fingering correlations for the fluter, the flute part needs to be transposed down a semitone. No need to transpose if you play in Eb on a D flute, clearly, but if you play the same notation on an Eb flute it will sound in E.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Huh? Why will she have to transpose the tunes which are in those flat keys already, Jem? There are a few, as I'm sure you remember.
???
Yes, I remember - have copies.
Surely I don't have (try) to explain the transposition thing to you, Ben, of all people?

The Eb flute is pitched a semitone higher than a standard concert flute, so to play the music at the same actual pitch as other (non-transposing) instruments but preserving normal notation/fingering correlations for the fluter, the flute part needs to be transposed down a semitone.
Right, right. But this is where Peter came in. I know what he means because it's the way I think too. I don't think of an Eb flute as 'transposing'. I simply think you use different fingers to read the concert pitch notes. I find that the easiest approach. So, for instance, when I pick up an Eb whistle to play a tune in Eb, I do not find any issue with it at all. I just play it as written.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Great, if you have the mental facility to do it, but most folk haven't. That's a major part of the rationale of transposing instruments, including all the orchestral ones, as you well know. For most players it is far more practical to learn one, standard set of notation symbol - note name - fingering associations and stick to them whatever the native tonality of the instrument in hand, and to adjust the notation to suit.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Anyanka wrote:I've just been given a pretty little old band flute (? Six holes plus one keyed hole) which appears to be in Eb. It sounds lovely, very loud, but unfortunately none of the tunes I play with other musicians are in Eb or Ab. Does anyone know of any suitable tunes that I could propose for my old English session?
Thought the Scots fiddle repertoire might be the place to go for this with numerous flat-keyed tunes, but those in Eb tend to be awkwardly wide-ranging for flute (eg from open G to leger lines up top) and the Ab key signature a rare bird indeed. However, I give you Hatton of Buchromb's Reel by William Marshall (see p104 of Alastair Hardie's The Caledonian Companion or Google sites I'm currently not getting to) for a modal tune with minor inflections (think F minor/Eb major centres), perfect range and some E naturals for the note I'm assuming your solitary key to give you!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?