No Transposing - Music Written in the Key of C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Denny
antispam: No

Re: No Transposing - Music Written in the Key of C

Post by Denny »

Peter Duggan wrote:
mutepointe wrote:and all this discussion regarding preferences is going to be moot.
Totally disagree. Computers are great, but sometimes you just need/want to work without them (do you carry a computer everywhere you take your instruments?), printed music, manuscript paper, ears and brains will always have their place and the relevant skills will remain useful, satisfying and (dare I say it?) fun!
they've been a bit daft since they got electricity...

It'll wear off after a bit :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

I have been following this thread with interest, but I find myself confused about what people mean by 'transpose'.

Assume a tune in D being played on a D whistle using D fingering - no transposition.

Now the same tune played on a D whistle using G fingering is considered transposed (to G).

Now the same tune on an A whistle using D fingering is considered transposed (to A).

Now the same tune on an A whistle using G fingering. Has the tune been transposed?

What I am asking is: 'Is transposition judged by the effect or the actions?'
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

DrPhill wrote:Now the same tune on an A whistle using G fingering. Has the tune been transposed?
No.
What I am asking is: 'Is transposition judged by the effect or the actions?'
By the effect, although the actions may require similar skill.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
killthemessenger

Post by killthemessenger »

If it's written in one key and sounds in another, then it's been transposed.
In the land of the iron sausage
The torture never stops.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

What is it called when a classically trained clarinet player plays a jig in D from a staff with two sharps and it sounds in D ?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:What is it called when a classically trained clarinet player plays a jig in D from a staff with two sharps and it sounds in D ?
A bloody miracle.
david_h

Post by david_h »

OK, I lied, (although she could do it for slower tunes). What actually happened was that untrained whistle player was trying to play Chrstmas carols by reading over the shoulder of the clarinet player and was told he needed to 'transpose'.

So when I see that note it is really this note so the key must be that so I need this whistle and finger it as if I was playing a D whistle in key of ... arrgh give up, play it by ear.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

DrPhill wrote:I have been following this thread with interest, but I find myself confused about what people mean by 'transpose'.
When I used the word, I meant to rewrite the sheet music so it was in D or G.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

benhall.1 wrote:
david_h wrote:What is it called when a classically trained clarinet player plays a jig in D from a staff with two sharps and it sounds in D ?
A bloody miracle.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

A clarinet in C, of course!
killthemessenger wrote:If it's written in one key and sounds in another, then it's been transposed.
So define 'written'...

If I play Calum's Road (as I've been doing for 20+ years) in its original D key on an A whistle using DrPhill's 'G fingering' but without transposing the tune on paper, computer screen or whatever, then I'm not transposing but simply playing it in the original D. If, OTOH, someone else is writing out the tune in G before doing the same, they're treating their A whistle as a transposing instrument (in classical terminology, a whistle in G!) to sound in the same original key. So perhaps we'd need to use two separate terms (eg 'pitch transposition' and 'finger transposition') to be absolutely unambiguous here, although 'finger transposition' also conjures up the delightful vision of swapping the fingers you've already got from knuckle to knuckle!

Master of nine?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

It could be possible for me to have a song written in Bb. I can't play in the key of Bb but I could "transpose" the sheet music in my head to the key of G and if I used an F whistle that would put the song back in Bb, so although all kinds of "transposing" things happened, everything remained the same. Spooky or what?

(I could be wrong about which whistle would put in back to Bb, so please, feel free to correct me, like you all needed permission for that.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
killthemessenger

Peter Duggan wrote:So define 'written'...

If I play Calum's Road (as I've been doing for 20+ years) in its original D key on an A whistle using DrPhill's 'G fingering' but without transposing the tune on paper, computer screen or whatever, then I'm not transposing but simply playing it in the original D. If, OTOH, someone else is writing out the tune in G before doing the same, they're treating their A whistle as a transposing instrument (in classical terminology, a whistle in G!) to sound in the same original key. So perhaps we'd need to use two separate terms (eg 'pitch transposition' and 'finger transposition') to be absolutely unambiguous here, although 'finger transposition' also conjures up the delightful vision of swapping the fingers you've already got from knuckle to knuckle!
I suggest that instead of talking about "D whistle G fingering on a Bb whistle" and so on, we should really be talking about dominant, subdominant and tonic fingering, so it applies to all whistles without confusion as to which keys we're talking about. So you play Calum's Road on an A whistle using subdominant fingering, and it sounds in D. Simple.

Or you could call it tonic, up (dominant) and down (subdominant) fingering. I think it would simplify the discussion. Anyway, just an idea.
The torture never stops.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

mutepointe wrote: (I could be wrong about which whistle would put in back to Bb, so please, feel free to correct me, like you all needed permission for that.)
Hmmmmm........ Yes if a poster is wrong they will pounce upon.
However if a poster is correct......... then the hecklers will disagree. :wink:

Of course permission is not needed for either. :lol:

:sleep:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

killthemessenger wrote:I suggest that instead of talking about "D whistle G fingering on a Bb whistle" and so on, we should really be talking about dominant, subdominant and tonic fingering, so it applies to all whistles without confusion as to which keys we're talking about. So you play Calum's Road on an A whistle using subdominant fingering, and it sounds in D. Simple.
Misleading when I'm playing in D and D is most certainly the tonic of D...
Or you could call it tonic, up (dominant) and down (subdominant) fingering. I think it would simplify the discussion. Anyway, just an idea.
So you think folk who're struggling with this will get the original up/down derivation of dominant and subdominant? And what happens once you start getting into supertonic fingering, dominant minor fingering, flattened leading note fingering and worse?

:boggle:

Master of nine?
killthemessenger

Peter Duggan wrote: Misleading when I'm playing in D and D is most certainly the tonic of D...
I don't understand your objection - play a D whistle with tonic fingering and it sounds in D. What's misleading about that?

But anyway, it was just a suggestion for separating out the fingering terminology from the key terminology, which seems to be the cause of a lot of confusion in discussions like this.

Most people probably only play in a couple of neighbouring keys on any given whistle, so I don't think it has to get very complicated.
The torture never stops.