Tip that helped me. What has helped you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Infernaltootler
antispam: No

Tip that helped me. What has helped you?

Post by Infernaltootler »

I've been playing 4 years. This summer two different respected people told me my ornamentations were a bit loose so I've been spending at least 10 mins a day just doing rolls, bubbling notes, cranns, double rolls, really concentrating.

My family are complaining like mad.

However the difference it has made to my playing is quite amazing, a real leap forward. Rolls are flying out, cranns creeping in, plain notes all bubbly and confidence up because it's easier to stay on the beat.

It's not a miracle or trick. It came down to some plain hard work, but the hard work is hugely paying off. Previously I thought that it would 'all come if you play enough tunes' but by concentrating on rolls etc in isolation and really getting those fingers moving it's made a big difference and I would recommend anyone to give it a go.

Tunes are really coming to life and I'm very happy.

Have you ever tried something a bit different only for it to work?
Got any other good tips which would help me as much?
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
fearfaoin

Re: Tip that helped me. What has helped you?

Post by fearfaoin »

I find it helps every time someone tips me.
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

Yuck, that sounds like WORK! (but of course you're right!)
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Denny

Post by Denny »

what! practice?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Please, what are 'bubbling notes'?

I agree that practice is good - even if it 'contaminates the purity of my artistic interpretation' (yes I have heard that opinion voiced).
I have ignored some advice in my time, my favourite to ignore is 'practicing with a metronome will make your playing too predictable' (or mechanical, or regular).
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

You want tips, check this girl, put us all to shame.
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=37

wiz
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

"Practice more". Or more specifically, "practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent, so make sure you practice right".
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
chas

Post by chas »

Play a little EVERY day.

Listen, listen, listen.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I'll piggy-back on DrPhill. Unless you have a built-in natural ability to capture and consistently reproduce precise and complex rhythms while playing solo, use a metronome for at least part of your practice. I did this for the first 18 months and now I find that the rhythms come more natural. I still occasionally use a metronome when learning a new tune because I find that it helps me concentrate on the tune and my tone rather than my fingerings and breathing. Maybe that's just my little flaw being exposed but new tunes that I'm learning by ear alone are challenging and I often become fumble-fingered and I tend to hold my breath in difficult passages. The metronome causes me to focus more on the rhythm and less about my fingers and breathing which, interestingly, seem to figure out exactly what to do if I don't think about them too much!

The most valuable piece I've received yet came right here on C&F when someone replied to a comment I had made about a particular whistle's squeakiness by suggesting that I might practice intervals on the whistle. I do this now as part of a warm-up exercise and it has made a big difference for me. I start with straight octave changes, then move on to thirds, fourths and fifths sometimes playing the interval low-high, then randomly playing high-low. I usually warm up for about 15 minutes then switch to tunes.

Hope some of this is useful for you.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Another advantage I get from the metronome, though this may just be my peculiarity, is that it helps me 'hear' the tune in my head even when I mess up. I find myself keeping the time better after goof. For me this is an essential skill.

You may need to train the metronome when you first get it - they naturally speed up at the difficult bits.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Infernaltootler

Excellent, this is gold.

Bubbling sounds - ooh, it's where you infinetessimaly cut a straight note and requires a lot of practise it seems. Thus I'm running down from b over and over and over again cutting each note with it's own finger as fast as I can.

Metronome. I have one but didn't dare admit it. Will try and use it more as my timing can wander.

Intervals - do you mean popping between low and high notes and then trying arpeggegios? Will read your post again more closely.
Infernaltootler

On the clip of Orlaith McCauliffe - she's amazing, I saw her a couple of weeks ago touring with John Devine on a Comhaltas thing. We had a little session after cause I know John and sometimes have lessons with him.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

DrPhill wrote:You may need to train the metronome when you first get it - they naturally speed up at the difficult bits.
Ain't that the truth :D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

I downloaded a slow down app for my iPhone. This allows me to play along with my favorite artist. I can "hear" their interpretation of a piece and attempt to mimic it. I speed it up as I improve. Quite fun.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

What has helped you?

So far, nothing........ :lol:

I'm thinking that I may benefit from lessons from a local teacher.