More Flute Bling

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

More Flute Bling

Post by Doug_Tipple »

In my last topic, when I introduced my flutes made from the black pvc, I was asked about decorative rings for the flute. I have experimented with paint-filled grooves to simulate a ring. I think that the resulting flutes with these rings are beautiful, but I ended up spending a lot of time trying to get the groove rings just right, not to mention the time to apply three coats of paint. I didn't want to add any cost to my flutes, so I have opted for vinyl adhesive rings, which are equally beautiful, in my opinion. I am offering faux rings in these vinyl designs: gold leaf, patterned gold (small engine turn), silver chrome, brushed silver, silver holographic sparkle (a la Michael Flatley), black marble, and black holographic sparkle. I give more detail at my website on the page, "Dressing Up Your Flute", if you are interested. Here are a couple of examples.

Brushed silver rings
Painted groove rings
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: More Flute Bling

Post by Latticino »

Nice detailing Doug. You should consider posting a picture of an assembled flute so we can see what it looks like in "play mode"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by keithsandra »

Sorry, Doug, but I have to say that this development is such a departure from the musical excellence, superior craftsmanship and simple integrity implicit in the by now world renowned and professionally accepted reputation of the Tipple flute, I can't help but feel this sudden blingy cheapness isn't going to damage your market position. Even a move to a selling point of $300 from your present $100 would, in my view, do less damage and more good to the Tipple's reputation and sales ...

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Best, as always,

Keith.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

keithsandra wrote:this sudden blingy cheapness
While (assuming I'm not misreading a joke) I wouldn't put it that strongly, I can't help wondering about the longevity of such surface detailing (not exactly '3D' solid silver!). And would also suggest (if you must do this) putting the middle two rings on the LH joint because 1. they'd be strengthening the sockets (not tenons) if there for 'real' and 2. you might get a more balanced look by moving them onto that long LH joint (which needs the length to accommodate the sockets you'd normally expect to find on the head and foot?).
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The last two comments echo that of my wife's, however, personally, I don't equate bling with cheapness. I think that there must be some bling in my otherwise plain and mild-mannered character. My dreams are a dead give-away. Anyway, at my website I wrote:

"Although some people prefer the elegant simplicity of a plain, unadorned flute, others like to decorate their flute to some degree. Flutes in some cultures are carved and painted or wrapped with colored string and feathers. Wooden flutes with multiple pieces usually have metal rings to support the wood at the tenon joints, and these rings of contrasting color from the wood add to the aesthetic balance of the flute. Although polymer flutes (pvc, Delrin, and other plastics) do not need rings, because the material is tough and not likely to crack, faux rings made from adhesive vinyl can substitute for metal rings in a cosmetic sense, and they are easy to remove (or replace) if you decide to do that."

With regard to Peter's suggestion, putting the rings on the middle section is probably a good idea, although when the flute is assembled, you can hardly tell the difference.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Doug_Tipple wrote:With regard to Peter's suggestion, putting the rings on the middle section is probably a good idea, although when the flute is assembled, you can hardly tell the difference.
Think what you'll get is still worth it for a more balanced position between L3 and R1 and less obviously 'compact' head.

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Doug: Do your vinyl rings sit in grooves, or are they just attached to the surface of the flute?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:
keithsandra wrote:this sudden blingy cheapness
While (assuming I'm not misreading a joke) I wouldn't put it that strongly
@Doug, just in case that's not clear, my reference to a potential joke was to keithsandra's post and not your thread!

Master of nine?
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Doug: Is this a case of male mid-life crisis? Please refer to your wife, who sounds like an eminently sensible, sound solution to this waggishly disastrous adventure ...

Woefully,

Keith.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Not to worry, Keith, as my default flutes come without faux rings. The rings are a no-cost option for the bling-at-heart, like myself. Replying to the Music Theory Guru, the vinyl faux rings are applied directly to the surface of the flute, whereas the grooved rings are filled with paint, or is it that my mind is filled with paint and the grooves are filled with bling, I'm not sure.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Replying to the Music Theory Guru
Off topic, but is that actually what the MT stands for or did you just make it up?

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Off topic, but is that actually what the MT stands for or did you just make it up?
Doug has a fecund imagination. Fecund, I tell ya.

:lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Options are nice. I like bling. I don't have a PVC flute at the moment, I gave all mine away. I'm wondering if there is a naturally occurring ring out there that would fit on a PVC flute. I've thought of rubber rings that are sold at hardware stores, I bet one has to be the right size. I would also think that there is a rubber band (gum band for those folks from Pittsburgh) that is the right size and might be in colors so that a person could change colors for events. I wonder where else a person might find things like brass rings or plastic rings that would just happen to fit on a PVC pipe. Craft stores might be a place to look. I bet craft stores would have some serious bling in their jewelry departments. What would really rock is those glow in the dark rave bracelets if they were the size of a PVC pipe.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
BeansTasteFine

Post by BeansTasteFine »

While I'd personally opt out of the bling, I can see how some might prefer it, as moves the overall look away from that of PVC plumbing pipe.

Choice is good.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Actually, I did just make it up, but I thought it was a good choice since our Guru does have a PhD degree in music from a prestigious music school, if I am not mistaken. That's why he knows every tune in the book.