A decent flute for under $5

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A decent flute for under $5

Post by mutepointe »

Cubitt wrote:Bravo, all around! My only quibble is the cost. In this depressed economy, don't you think $5 is a little steep? :shock:
Maybe the labor could be outsourced and the price could be lowered.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

mutepointe wrote:
Cubitt wrote:Bravo, all around! My only quibble is the cost. In this depressed economy, don't you think $5 is a little steep? :shock:
Maybe the labor could be outsourced and the price could be lowered.
I wonder if it would pay to fly to France and pay for it in Euros?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:Maybe the labor could be outsourced and the price could be lowered.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

How long is your wait list ??? :D

Best wishes

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
paddler

Post by paddler »

Steve wrote:
How long is your wait list ???
OK, so I'll admit that nobody actually wants one of my flutes, so I don't have a waiting list. :cry:
But if someone did sign up for one it would probably only take me about a month to make. As I said, the fine tuning is the key, but it takes ages! Hey, if someone ordered a flute with keys, then the wait might actually be up to 20 years right away! :lol: Goodness knows how professional flute makers actually make a living!?! I'm in awe.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Goodness knows how professional flute makers actually make a living!
... it's all down to careful measurement and precise replication. That is to say, once you've made one good one, it shouldn't take too long to copy it.
There's a video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiSW6LPchSc showing how a boxwood recorder is made by hand. It's instructional to see how easy it looks to do, given the right tools and skills :boggle:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Longsteps
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Longsteps »

Hi Jon

The flute looks great and sounds good too. Are you taking orders yet?
I'm flattered you posted Lady Binn's as well, very nice.

Malcolm
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Kypfer wrote:
Goodness knows how professional flute makers actually make a living!
... it's all down to careful measurement and precise replication. That is to say, once you've made one good one, it shouldn't take too long to copy it.
That should be about it. That and, you know, charging a bit more that $5 for them. Even the pakistani flutemakers (and I use the term very loosely) know that!
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
Dan Mozell

Post by Dan Mozell »

paddler wrote:So, I bought some of that black PVC pipe that Doug Tipple told us about and set about making myself a flute using only simple hand tools:Jon
Nice job! I've also followed Doug's instructions and tried out a modification. I made it tuneable by making it two pieces with a copper tube slide. The copper tube has the same I.D. as schedule 40 3/4" pvc pipe. By heating the ends of the pvc with a heat gun, the pvc becomes soft and you can push the copper tube in. The pvc expands just enough for the copper to fit in. I may try another with the black pipe you used. Thanks for posting.
Dan Mozell

Post by Dan Mozell »

Doug_Tipple wrote:The source for the pipe is Savko Plastic Pipe in Columbus, OH. I have the pipe cut in 5 foot sections and shipped by UPS. I have never seen this pipe in any of the retail home improvement stores.
Here's another source though it might only be wholesale. But it appears they cell a thin walled black pipe which could be used to make black lip plates. They also sell a black schedule 80 which might be worth experimenting with:
http://www.candsplastics.com/CatBrowse.asp?Category=4
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I just ordered 20 feet from Savko and the guy called me - he laughed his head off when I told him I was using it for flute making!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

plunk111 wrote:I just ordered 20 feet from Savko and the guy called me - he laughed his head off when I told him I was using it for flute making!

Pat
He would really laugh if he really knew how many of us ordered the same 20 feet for flutemaking. I ordered 20 feet last week. It came in a box in 5 foot lengths fyi. It works quite well btw.

:D
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I built two PVC flutes in a friend's father-in-law's hardware store. They had a drill press and other tools there. His FIL and all his FIL's buddies laughed and laughed their heads off too, until I finished, played a tune, and told them some guy (Doug) charges $50 for these on the internet. Then they were way more than interested. Capitalists!
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

mutepointe wrote:I built two PVC flutes in a friend's father-in-law's hardware store. They had a drill press and other tools there. His FIL and all his FIL's buddies laughed and laughed their heads off too, until I finished, played a tune, and told them some guy (Doug) charges $50 for these on the internet. Then they were way more than interested. Capitalists!

I was thinking the same thing. They do sound very nice made from this pipe. Better than sched 40 white pvc from Lowe's in my humble opinion.

skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Dan Mozell wrote:
paddler wrote:So, I bought some of that black PVC pipe that Doug Tipple told us about and set about making myself a flute using only simple hand tools:Jon
Nice job! I've also followed Doug's instructions and tried out a modification. I made it tuneable by making it two pieces with a copper tube slide. The copper tube has the same I.D. as schedule 40 3/4" pvc pipe. By heating the ends of the pvc with a heat gun, the pvc becomes soft and you can push the copper tube in. The pvc expands just enough for the copper to fit in. I may try another with the black pipe you used. Thanks for posting.

Well, salvo does have black coupler. I made two piece by heat gun and expanded the head and fit the body (old piece white pvc) to mold around it. Works ok. A bit crude. Seal is great.