A decent flute for under $5

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A decent flute for under $5

Post by paddler »

So, I bought some of that black PVC pipe that Doug Tipple told us about and set about making myself a flute using only simple hand tools: a hacksaw, hand drill, a needle file, and some sand paper on a stick ... oh, and an old cork from a wine bottle. Amazingly, it turned out to be quite a decent flute thats fun to play. I thought I'd share a picture and a link to a sound clip to encourage anyone who has never tried this to give it a go. Its a lot of fun! Doug has measurements on his site. I also made a Fajardo wedge which helped the second octave tuning, and I spent a lot of time fine tuning it. The art seems to be mostly in the tuning and the finer finishing touches to the embouchure hole and tone holes.

Anyway, here's what it sounds like. Unfortunately, I stood a bit far back from the mic, so the recording leaves a bit to be desired, and well, I could certainly improve my playing, etc. I learned this Scottish tune (My Lady Binnis Lilt) from Malcolm Reavell.

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~walpole/music/ ... isLilt.mp3

And here's what it looks like:

Jon
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: A decent flute for under $5

Post by hans »

Looks great, Jon!
Have not heard your clip yet, the download seems to take forever,
in fact it is stuck now at 14% downloaded
Is the embouchure hole circular or elliptical?
How thick is the wall of the tubing?
Wish I could get some black PVC pipe over here, to try out.
Well done!

Hans
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Good work, Jon, and also the red velvet looks nice as a background for the black flute. Hans, the wall thickness of the pipe is ~.113" with an ID of .824" according to my measurements.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Thanks Doug! That is a decent wall thickness and should give a good tone even without lip plate.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Looks good, sounds real nice. Great job!
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Nice work and nice playing. You have spent some quality time and it shows.

The flute that you made sounds good and your tone and phrasing do you credit.

I don't impress easily but I am most positively impressed with this.

Thanks for sharing.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Bravo, all around! My only quibble is the cost. In this depressed economy, don't you think $5 is a little steep? :shock:
Last edited by Cubitt on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Nice, well done! It sounds a bit breathy on the second octave, but hey, it's the first flute you made! Good job.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
paddler

Post by paddler »

Thanks for the nice comments everyone!

Hans wrote:
Is the embouchure hole circular or elliptical?
Its elliptical. I tried to copy the embouchure shape (size, profile and undercut) of an Olwell as closely as possible, but of course the chimney height is considerably less, so you really notice that when you play it.

Cubitt wrote:
My only quibble is the cost. In this depressed economy, don't you think $5 is a little steep?
Well, look it at this way, when I have a 20 year waiting list you'll be able to turn around and sell this for $5000 on eBay! :lol:

Othannen wrote:
It sounds a bit breathy on the second octave
I blame the player! Oh wait, that was me too. Probably something wrong with the PVC batch this pipe came from. Yes, thats it! :D

Jon
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Jon/Doug:

Can you refresh my memory? Where did you get this piping? Is it now available at places like Lowe's, etc? I've made a few PVC flutes and the black looks tres cool!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

plunk111 wrote:Jon/Doug:

Can you refresh my memory? Where did you get this piping? Is it now available at places like Lowe's, etc? I've made a few PVC flutes and the black looks tres cool!

Pat
The source for the pipe is Savko Plastic Pipe in Columbus, OH. I have the pipe cut in 5 foot sections and shipped by UPS. I have never seen this pipe in any of the retail home improvement stores.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Doug - is this the stuff? The walls don't look as thick as Jon's pictures and they don't give a wall thickness.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

plunk111 wrote:Doug - is this the stuff? The walls don't look as thick as Jon's pictures and they don't give a wall thickness.

Pat
Yes, Pat, that is the pipe that we are talking about. I talked to the salesperson at Savko and got the pipe dimensions before I purchased it. There are color codes for pipe in the USA, and for that reason this black pipe is not rated as schedule 40, although I'm pretty sure it was produced on the same extrusion machines that produce schedule 40 plumbing pipe.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nice work, first try no less.
Now all you have to do is make a basket full to give out as Halloween treats.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
paddler

Post by paddler »

Doug - is this the stuff? The walls don't look as thick as Jon's pictures and they don't give a wall thickness.
Yes, thats it. The flute is made from the 3/4" pipe, and the Fajardo wedge is a diagonal slice from a 1/2" pipe. They both seem to have dimensions identical to the schedule 40 white PVC pipe thats available pretty much everywhere.