Use of an Eb key on a D flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Use of an Eb key on a D flute

Post by Steve Bliven »

In another thread Jem rants:
jemtheflute wrote:I have yet to meet a keyless "Irish flute" which would not have been improved by addition and proper use of an Eb key. If I had my way, I'd ban totally keyless flutes..... rant, rant, rant.
As someone who has never attempted to play a keyed flute, please advise on;
1- the benefit(s) of an Eb key and
2- how/when the key is "properly" used (other than the obvious capability to play Eb).

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Use of an Eb key on a D flute

Post by Peter Duggan »

Steve Bliven wrote:1- the benefit(s) of an Eb key and
It vents the other notes properly (same as on a Boehm flute), bringing intonation and tonal benefits.
2- how/when the key is "properly" used (other than the obvious capability to play Eb).
On every (or almost every!) note except D.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

On my 6-key the difference on E and F notes is like night and day when I vent Eb.

Cheers,

Kirk
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Steve Bliven wrote:2- how/when the key is "properly" used (other than the obvious capability to play Eb).
Peter Duggan wrote:On every (or almost every!) note except D.
In both octaves or just the lower?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

The Eb key also becomes important when you start playing up in the 3rd octave.

Pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

While it's true that using the Eb key is "proper" in the sense that this is the way the old simple-system classical flutes were designed to be played, it's worth stating the obvious: generations of traditional Irish flute players have happily played the "improper" way and generations to come will undoubtedly do the same.

I personally like the veiled sound of the unvented E, and while I occasionally use the Eb key to give the E more oomph if I happen to be ending a tune on that note, I don't notice enough difference in any of the higher notes to be worth the bother, at least not on my flutes.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Ditto to Brad, on my mid 1800s flute, the Eb key really only makes a marked improvement on the bottom octave E. (It is noticeable, but not very, on other notes). It also tends to make the second octave E too sharp. But I'll hold the key open a lot because it's a good anchor point for my pinky :D
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I use the Eb key all the time. But that's mainly because I'm a beginner, Jem is my friend, and he shouts at me if I don't do it.

:puppyeyes:
Denny

Post by Denny »

bradhurley wrote:generations of traditional Irish flute players have happily played the "improper" way and generations to come will undoubtedly do the same.
a lot of them don't even stand on the right side of the flute :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

As the proud owner of a vintage eight-key flute, I am amused at the notion of venting the D# key. Go on YouTube and see how many players twist the tail piece of their flute so that the D# key is out of the way. To save you time, pretty much all of them. As it happens, I play my flute with the tail in the proper position, but I never vent the D# key. I also don't do so on my Boehm flute. I find it totally unnecessary.

To answer the OP's question, I use the D# key primarily for slow tunes that end on E. I use the D# key as an embellishment before the E. Very common opportunity and a very nice sound. One of the reasons I like having a keyed flute.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

True, I've even seen photos of Matt Molloy with the foot joint spun so the Eb is out of the way. There are some great players who use it religiously though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UxM7PtzlhY

Edit: Dammit all, she's pressing an imaginary Eb key!! I've watched this vid umpteen times and that's the first time I've noticed that. OK, I'm going home.

Cheers,

Kirk
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Cubitt wrote:Go on YouTube and see how many players twist the tail piece of their flute so that the D# key is out of the way.
Even some classical players who have transitioned to Irish trad. do this.

There's also the issue of modern 'Irish' flutes being designed differently than their historical predecessors: many (mine included) are designed to play an in-tune E without the open key, so opening the key raises the pitch. On the (relatively few) occasions I choose to vent the E, I have to blow flat.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I'm not entirely sure the point of venting that key is to make the E more in tune so much as it is to make it stronger. It definitely sharpens the note, at least on every keyed flute I've tried, but it also makes it speak more strongly. The "E hole" is the smallest tonehole on the flute and thus produces the weakest note; using the Eb/D# key gives it more power. As I said above, I happen to like the sound of the E as it is without any venting, but I do find it useful to open the key on the rare occasions when I do want a strong E (usually an ending note).
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Cubitt wrote:As it happens, I play my flute with the tail in the proper position, but I never vent the D# key. I also don't do so on my Boehm flute. I find it totally unnecessary.
Ooooh. Old Theo must be spinning in his grave. And every mainstream Bohm teacher ever.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

jemtheflute wrote:
Cubitt wrote:As it happens, I play my flute with the tail in the proper position, but I never vent the D# key. I also don't do so on my Boehm flute. I find it totally unnecessary.
Ooooh. Old Theo must be spinning in his grave. And every mainstream Bohm teacher ever.......
Hey, Jem, I know we've had this discussion before, but Boehm's own fingering chart does not show the D# key vented. I would bet folding money that no listener would ever know the difference. The only reason I vent the B key when playing middle D is because it makes it easier to play, and on the sustained D, it is a bit clearer, albeit slightly sharp on my flute. But vent the D# key? Can't make a case for it.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain