Correct piper's grip

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistle1000

Re: Correct piper's grip

Post by whistle1000 »

Hey guru. Yes I did read your link. You actually use the word pivot in that post! That's the only reason that I've used it in order to stay with your "theme". It's certainly not my intention to confuse anybody.

FWIW, I find that being addressed , "Oy " is slightly disrespectful! I doubt that is your intention and certainly hope not. I'm not familiar with it's usage and only hear it in films and such. It always seems to be used negatively in such contexts. Perhaps our British users could enlighten us.

Back to the topic.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

whistle1000 wrote:You actually use the word pivot in that post
And what do you think was being described?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

There's no thinking. You said that one should use B3 as a PIVOT. So when you further go on to explain the slight turn towards ones chest, I just substituted TURN for PIVOT. The same thing really. Like I said, I was trying to follow the same " theme" that you set. If that is not how you intended to use the pivot/turn/rotation /etc then I apologise. I'm not posting to confuse people.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

whistle1000 wrote:I'm not posting to confuse people.
OK, fair enough, and thanks. So let me try again.

If you look at the photos in my previous post, you see that that fingers of the lower hand are not perpendicular to the whistle, but are pointed downward toward the floor at about a 45 degree angle. In order to achieve that position, if you start from a standard grip, you need to rotate the hand counter-clockwise with respect to your body, until your fingers are in the proper position. Exactly as I describe in my linked post, "Piper's Grip Step-By-Step".

As you do this rotation, with your ring finger pad firmly on the B3 hole, the B3 hole acts as a fixed pivot point, with the rest of your hand rotating around it. That's the pivot.

Once your hand is in position, you proceed to play with normal finger movement. There is no pivoting involved. You seem to be confusing the above procedure to put the hand into position prior to playing the instrument, with the movement of the hand while playing the instrument. Two different things entirely.

whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Oh my! Of course you don't pivot the hand while playing! I am not confused st all! And that is certainly not I was trying to explain! I was trying to explain exactly what you just explained. I don't understand the confusion :shock:. I'll re-read my posts to see where it lies.

I've played low D's professionally for many years at a very high level. I am certainly not confused.

Pivot can be used as a noun and a verb.

Sorry if I seem confusing. I thought that my posts were valid and I did Learn something as I hope do others on this topic.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

whistle1000 wrote:I've played low D's professionally for many years at a very high level.
Perhaps you have, but afraid something about your need to put it quite like that bothers me...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

There's no NEED. Just stating a fact to emphasise the fact that I'm not confused about the topic. "I am very familiar with the playing of low whistles." Is that less bothersome to you P Duggan? We are talking about low whistle technique and not how bothered or not you are. Lighten up dude!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

whistle1000 wrote:Lighten up dude!
What? You're suggesting that?

:boggle:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

whistle1000 wrote:FWIW, I find that being addressed , "Oy " is slightly disrespectful! I doubt that is your intention and certainly hope not. I'm not familiar with it's usage and only hear it in films and such. It always seems to be used negatively in such contexts. Perhaps our British users could enlighten us.
Off-topic: "Oy" in this case is Yiddish, not British (although it could be Briddish, depending :wink: ). What it is is an exclamation, usually one of discomfort or frustration. It's kind of like "Ouch", and it's all in how you say it: it's generally muttered or moaned. It's a time-honored Jewish/Eastern European utterance, long adopted into American speech - although obviously not by everyone - and you don't even have to be Jewish (or Slavic) to use it. OTOH the British similar-sounding word is instead usually spelled "Oi", and is a variant of "Hey!". Unlike "Oy", "Oi" tends to be barked out. To my Yank ears "Oi!" sounds as if it's supposed to be rougher and ruder than "Hey!".

So MTGuru was signalling to you his frustration. Clear, now?

Back to topic..........
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Thank you for that excellent explaination. I have great respect for the guru and was'nt expecting otherwise. Like I Said, I'm not that familiar with the phrase. From films like 'Snatch" , " Lock Stock...", etc. I love " Seinfeld" too!
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by kokopelli »

MTGuru wrote:
kokopelli wrote:I don't know if anybody else does that or if it might work for you but I certainly like it.
I guess you missed the recent discussion about pinkie grip, starting here:

viewtopic.php?p=1040548#p1040548
:oops: Oh my! I actually did read that topic, I must have just forgotten about it.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Nanohedron wrote:....Unlike "Oy", "Oi" tends to be barked out. To my Yank ears "Oi!" sounds as if it's supposed to be rougher and ruder than "Hey!".
Indeed it is...generally. But it's also used in a joking/bantering context too.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hotblack wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:....Unlike "Oy", "Oi" tends to be barked out. To my Yank ears "Oi!" sounds as if it's supposed to be rougher and ruder than "Hey!".
Indeed it is...generally. But it's also used in a joking/bantering context too.
Right, I've gotten that impression depending on context. Thanks. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Well, I'm just glad everyone seems to be on the same page after all. Mazel tov. :-)

Gregrussell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Gregrussell »

whistle1000 wrote:Oh my! Of course you don't pivot the hand while playing! I am not confused st all! And that is certainly not I was trying to explain! I was trying to explain exactly what you just explained. I don't understand the confusion :shock:. I'll re-read my posts to see where it lies.
I've played low D's professionally for many years at a very high level. I am certainly not confused.

( I maybe creating drama) :-?
Whistle1000, In this case as an example I am very confused as to why the lochlan was such a problem for you......As stated in your latest post :boggle: Not sure the piper's grip was being implemented properly, "As explained" No disrespect ofcourse but it is what it is! you seem to have your own way which is fine.....Except, not fine for bigger whistles made for volume. Point being, "proper piper's grip would have allowed you to play this instrument without complaint". ( Very high level or very low level, No matter......Some kind of tune would have been made) :really: