Glueing a crack

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Glueing a crack

Post by jim stone »

I've searched and had trouble getting an answer, so let me just ask outright.

A blackwood whistle has a crack in the head piece (I managed to drop it) and I want to glue it (the alternatives
being very expensive). It's not a bad crack and it's not in a bad place.

Questions, superglue OK?

How do I get the glue IN the crack? People I've talked to are suggesting i buy a hypodermic syringe.
I'm interested in alternatives, if any.

Thanks
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Glueing a crack

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Superglue mixed with ebony dust will, once polished, make an invisible repair. When done properly ofcourse.
My brain hurts

Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

You can carefully "work" the glue into the crack my expanding it slightly. You can of course wreck it completely the same way. Be careful. However superglue has the tendency to flow into small cracks by itself (capillary attraction), so "working" it in might not be necessary at all.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks to all.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Jon Cornia gave me a tip once that works great - put a piece of tape on each side of the crack to act as a mask.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Put a drop of superglue on a non-marring surface. Plastic or wax paper are fine. Pick up a smaller drop with the tip of a needle or paperclip and use this as your applicator.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Things that don't work: air compressors, broom handles, and tub 'n' tile caulk.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Rats. I had a broom handle and was ready to go.
By the way, the crack doesn't go all the way through.
Thanks again.
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

I've had best success with the CA adhesives sold at hobby shops. What I've been using lately is labelled "super-gold" and came from HobbyTown USA. It costs 2 to 3 times as much as the standard hardware store product but on several occasions I've been able to get good permanent repairs in situations where the standard stuff has failed. If the crack is thin, you should not need any wood dust filler.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Cyano-Acrylate Capillary Action, eh? ! :boggle: (Acronym!!!)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I've repaired well over 1000 cracks (hey, no cracks about that) and I'm with Dave C. (Long time, please say hi to everyone for me!): The water thin CA is what you want. Think the brand we used at the shop was Insta-Cure, but I have no doubt that what Dave is using works fine. The "normal" viscosity stuff doesn't wick very well into the wood of the flute and any wood dust you may use. It also takes a long time to cure.

Dave, not sure if I mentioned this before, but we also used a CA Accelerator right after applying the glue to the crack. I believe it was the Insta-Set brand. Comes in a spray bottle, but I would typically dip a pipe cleaner in the accelerator and then swab it over the top of the filled/glued crack. Or you can drip it on if you transfer it to a sweeze bottle with a REALLY small hole. On bigger cracks you might experiment with adding the accelerator to the wood dust packed crack before filling with thin CA, that way the the glue won't drip through the crack into the bore much.

Okay, enough trade secrets for one day. I'll be back in another year or so with more :lol:
paddler

Post by paddler »

I've been impressed with the performance of "INSTA-CURE SUPER GLUE / ULTRA THIN" for gluing cracks. It soaks into the wood, finds its own way into really fine cracks, and works well with wood dust as a filler for small cracks. I've used it with 100% success rate (so far) on blackwood and cocus. I've done a variety of head and barrel crack repairs on about a dozen flutes with it. You have to be careful not to glue your fingers to the flute though! You can buy it on line here:

http://www.votawtool.com/zcom.asp?pg=pr ... =jmrqlnmpo
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Hi Loren! It looks like you, Paddler and I are all on the same page. Looking more closely at the label on the glue that I use, it is "Insta-cure odorless thin glue, super-gold". And I also use the accelerator when I'm not adding wood dust. If I use Blackwood dust as a filler, it seems to contain its own accelerator.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

This is what you are looking for Jim. It is favored by many luthiers as well as Dave, Paddler and Loren.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.