1st time Low D purchase input

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

1st time Low D purchase input

Post by CHasR »

HI havent had reason to get to this part of C&F,

but recently Ive been pulling out my soprano d's...
really looking into a low D for some of the tunes we're doing,

I already play a ton of woodwinds,
been doing so for years & years & years,
but dont have the inclination to sort out 6000 results in the search.

& Im sure everyone's simply BURSTING to SPILL out sage advice for an experienced, yet first time low D buyer...so fire away.

feel free PM me at liberty !!
... I dont want to get anyone in hot water with our beloved mods. :) thx
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: 1st time Low D purchase input

Post by bogman »

There's no point getting a cheap one. They're not very expensive so you might as well go for the best right away. www.colingoldie.de/
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Dixon tapered bore low d:
Non-tunable: TB003D
Tunable: TB012D
With brass tuning slide: TB500D.

I have a TB012D, and I reckon it is the easiest low D to play that I have come across. Mind you I have not played them all. If the other two models behave the same then they are worth a look. I am not sure what you get with a brass tuning slide - the tunable tunes easily enough.

A lot depends upon your budget. You can buy for less, and you can buy for a lot more. Your first hurdle will be the 'new super-duper easy whistle grip'

HTH
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi ChasR

Welcome to the site.

There will, I hope be a lot of useful information about low D's coming your way. I have been playing low D's for a relativly short time, 2 years and currently have 3. They are an early Dixon model DX003, a Susato Kildare and a Kerry Songbird. Each have there own distinct sound.

The Dixon in it's original form (Since been tweaked) is an easy blower, soft to medium volumn and resonable reach using the 'piper's grip' and a nice mellow tone, However in it's original form takes quiet a bit of air. The DX003 has since been replaced by new model with a slight conical bore and there have been some good reviews on C&F about it. It is good for playing slow airs. The Susato is an altogether different article. This has a very slight conicle bore the finger spacing is a little wider than the Dixon and has a thick mouthpiece that might put off players transfering from high D's. The volume is loud and the sound is reedy, some players don't like this. This whistle can be used for all types of music. It does not use as much air to play as the Dixon, Unlike the Dixon and Susato which are both polymer in construction the Kerry is all aluminium, not sure if Phil Hardy still makes these. This is a heavy whistle and if used thoughout a session would become tiring to play. This finger holes are on the large size and could pose difficulty in playing if one's hands are on the small size, even using the piper's grip. The volumn is medium to loud and has a bright clear sound. Like the Susato it is a versatile instrument but takes a little time to get used to. The Susato and Kerry are both tunable.

There are many lower priced low D's from various makers, the ones that get good reviews are the new Kerry Optima, MK Kelpie, Howard, Ethnic Wind, Shaw, Alba, G Gonzatso and Merlin. No doubt there will be many more recommendations as there are other makers and the prices vary quite a bit. I hope that this has been of some help?

Ian
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

I did substantial research on this so I will share what I found. I'm playing whistle for 9 months now so still a beginner.

If budget is a concern and tuneable is not required: MK Kelpie at 100 pounds
If budget is not a concern and tuneable is required: MK Pro at 200 pounds (satin)
If budget is a concern but tuneable: Dixon

The cheapest low D's are not much less than the Kelpie. I have a MK Pro and it is very nice. So simple, aluminum tubes with holes. But when I try making my own out of PVC I realize how challenging it is. :)

PS: I notice you live in the US.. if budget is a concern you may want to look into US made products to save on shipping & import duties. I didn't explore these options as I live in Europe.
bogman

Post by bogman »

I don't think budget should come into it with a low whistle. You can get a top class low whistle for the price of bargain basement examples of other instruments. If you really want to play and give yourself the best chance then what is £200? IMHO there are only a few to consider. Goldie/Overton probably the widest played by serious musicians, the MK is a very nice and respected whistle, the Burke is well liked though it's it's not my own cup of tea. I would be amazed to see a serious player use a low Susato or any other whistle in the below £150 bracket to be honest. (you get what you pay for pretty much) Why skimp? Just buy an instrument for life and you'll never regret it. I once had a Chieftain and it wasn't until Colin Goldie made a low D for me that I realised how rubbish the Chieftain actually was in comparison. My conscience couldn't bear taking money for it so I gave it away, to me that's all it was worth.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

cunparis wrote:I did substantial research on this so I will share what I found. I'm playing whistle for 9 months now so still a beginner.

If budget is a concern and tuneable is not required: MK Kelpie at 100 pounds
If budget is not a concern and tuneable is required: MK Pro at 200 pounds (satin)
If budget is a concern but tuneable: Dixon
Doubt you really meant you've established the universal shortlist, but that's how I keep reading this!
bogman wrote:Just buy an instrument for life and you'll never regret it.
While it's difficult to argue with that...
I once had a Chieftain and it wasn't until Colin Goldie made a low D for me that I realised how rubbish the Chieftain actually was in comparison. My conscience couldn't bear taking money for it so I gave it away, to me that's all it was worth.
This, depending on your Chieftain, seems pretty harsh! So I'd say my Chieftain V3 and vintage Overton low Ds are both equally good in their own way although I'm currently favouring the Overton because it takes less air and lets me get through jigs and reels with almost 'high D' breathing. My Chieftain NR A is better overall than my Overton A (nice but quite strangely 'shut in') and, while the honours are perhaps more evenly shared between my Chieftain V3 and Overton Gs (with the former IMHO being the poorest of the V3s where the F is the best, and the latter tending to flatness even when warm), I'd really have to go to the smaller sizes (and especially the high D) before throwing serious criticism at them.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
bogman

Post by bogman »

There is no comparison between a Chieftain V3 and an Overton/Goldie. The chieftain is factory made, though you may get the odd good one as they're random. None of the ones I've tried come anywhere close to the Goldie, any Goldie. When trying the V3's of friends who swear by them I've had to lie to be kind.
bogman

Post by bogman »

I should point out though there is a fair difference between an old Overton (Bernards) and the Overtons Colin has been making for the last 15 odd years.

Also, the high D chieftain is awful.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

bogman wrote:There is no comparison between a Chieftain V3 and an Overton/Goldie.
While I knew you'd be back and was tempted to ask if that's from the gospel according to bogman...
I should point out though there is a fair difference between an old Overton (Bernards) and the Overtons Colin has been making for the last 15 odd years.
I'm not (with only Bernard Overtons in the house) actually in a position to test the veracity of that caveat!
When trying the V3's of friends who swear by them I've had to lie to be kind.
But have to suggest there must be some element of subjectivity mixed up with the objectivity in all of our choices or there'd only be a single, global maker.
Also, the high D chieftain is awful.
And really can't dispute that, with mine only getting kept because it arguably came 'free' as part of a cut-price set when it'd have been straight back for a refund if bought separately!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
bogman

Post by bogman »

It's not gospel no, but if a V3 was comparable to a Goldie you'd find some top players playing them - but you don't.
bogman

Post by bogman »

It's true of course the beauty is in the eye (ear?) of the beholder....
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Man to man, I'd recommend the MK pro or the non-edgy Reyburn. The Reyburns are $300, while the MK is more. I prefer the Reyburn. Reyburn may soon quit making whistles so, if interested I'd get an order in quickly. I just bought a back-up low D from him, in case they are no longer made. The Goldie is good if you get a low to medium back-pressure whistle. I am not fond of high back-pressure whistles.
bogman

Post by bogman »

Not tried or heard a Reyburn in the flesh but they seem to get good press. Why are they stopping making them, do you know?

Funnily enough I like the high back pressure Goldies, but they do take getting used to and are not for everyone. Quite good if you play GHB but a dry blowing punchy technique is needed really.
JackCampin

Post by JackCampin »

If you play in a cold environment and you like every tune you start to open with a series of hawks and splutters like a chainsmoker waking up in the morning as you blow the condensation out, get an Overton.

If not, get something else. Anything else. (MKs use what seems like a similar design, with an aluminium block, but I haven't heard anybody needing desperate measures to get the first note out on one, so I guess there must be some subtle difference in the voicing).