Where is a good place to buy delrin for making a whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Where is a good place to buy delrin for making a whistle?

Post by waltsweet »

I just found the company below. Convenient, no minimum, and free shipping!

http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/produ ... rs200.html
scottie

Post by scottie »

brewerpaul wrote:Right Walt-- I use a gundrill with a compressed air feed which both cools the drill and plastic, and blows the chips out.

For the original poster-- if you're just experimenting, you can make wooden fipples from dowel. Get the dowel just a bit oversize and chuck a short piece in a drill press. Spin it and sand it down right in the drill press. Shoot for a pressure fit in your PVC tubing.
Thanks for the information. I will probably do that since I am working away from home and have limited resources and tools. I do have a lath at home but I need to still get a motor to drive it. I know it has about four positions for a drive belt to run the unit at different speeds. I will also have to buy some late tools for cutting the wood or delrin etc. when I decide to do this at home. Until then I may do as you say with the wood dowel and sanding it to fit tightly in the pvc pipe. Do you have to coat the wooden dowel with anything to prevent moisture from getting into the wood and swelling it which I would think might decrease the airway?

Thanks,
Scottie
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Have you found a good source you would like to share?

Coating a wood plug with super glue prevents moisture from changing the surface.

A delrin/acetal plug costs more but is less work.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

Scottie - I've tried making wooden dowel fipple plugs and between the sanding and coating them, I much prefer casting my own out of polyester resin. Just take about 1 1/2" of the pipe you're using, coat the inside with chapstick, cover one end with masking tape and fill with catalysed resin. Stand it in a can of water about 3/4" deep to absorb heat, and you wind up with a perfect fit, very sandable fipple plug. After you cut to length and sand the ends, you can sand down the windway to size. I use neoprene cement to bond the plug to the pipe. You can even use pigment to make the resin any color you want.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

retired wrote:I much prefer casting my own out of polyester resin.
That's a good suggestion for a first whistle build.

I described my process here. And there is no need for a commercial release agent, as retired points out, you can coat the inside of the mold with auto wax, furniture wax or PAM for that matter. A thin coat is all that is needed, make sure it is smooth.

Another decent method for a first build is to use Sculpey or another polymer clay as the plug. It is basically a soft and malleable PVC. You bake it to make it hard. You can mold in patterns by rolling various colors together. Again use a length of your whistle pipe as a mold. I bake it in a toaster oven outside to prevent any problems from off-gassing but jewelry makers bake it in their kitchen ovens all the time apparently. YMMV
scottie wrote:Until then I may do as you say with the wood dowel and sanding it to fit tightly in the pvc pipe.
Be careful, a tight fit is probably not what you want in PVC/CPVC. It can be stretched and will expand if the fit is too tight. That will mess with the geometry between the bottom of the blade and the floor of the windway. (Unless your design is different than most.) You are looking for a firm slip fit for the plug.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Sorry if I cause a slight digression here, but.......

How stable is Delrin? Does it suffer from heat (ie back of the car in full sun)? Does it perish? Does it get brittle? Does it require any special care? Are there chemicals to avoid.

I did a quick web search and turned up very little info, so thanks in advance for any info.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

DrPhill wrote:How stable is Delrin? Does it suffer from heat (ie back of the car in full sun)? Does it perish? Does it get brittle? Does it require any special care? Are there chemicals to avoid.
Well, how do I put this? Your car wouldn't work if delrin didn't hold up to the rigors of heat, cold and chemicals. It is a common self-lubricating bearing material (replacement for brass and other metals) and it is used all over the engine compartment of many cars. It is tough stuff.

One of my favorite uses of delrin was the Simplex bicycle rear derailleur back in the late sixities early seventies. Remember those?

Here's DuPont's website for it.

Feadoggie
Denny

Post by Denny »

I seem to have a vague recollection of a few miles with one...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Feadoggie wrote:
DrPhill wrote:How stable is Delrin? Does it suffer from heat (ie back of the car in full sun)? Does it perish? Does it get brittle? Does it require any special care? Are there chemicals to avoid.
Well, how do I put this? Your car wouldn't work if delrin didn't hold up to the rigors of heat, cold and chemicals. It is a common self-lubricating bearing material (replacement for brass and other metals) and it is used all over the engine compartment of many cars. It is tough stuff.

One of my favorite uses of delrin was the Simplex bicycle rear derailleur back in the late sixities early seventies. Remember those?

Here's DuPont's website for it.

Feadoggie
Thanks Feadoggie, so if I had a whistle made from Delrin I could largely ignore maintenance issues etc. I had an idea that was the case from various comments made on this forum, but wanted to make sure of my facts.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Well you should still keep the windway and blade clean so that it performs optimally. But sure, delrin (or acetal) is one of those materials that doesn't require any real care and feeding.

Feadoggie
UncleChuck
Tell us something.: I am interested in making whistles. I have been doing it for years, and I have finally started to get good at it.

Post by UncleChuck »

I use interstate plastics here: http://www.interstateplastics.com/

They also have storefronts in many cities.

-=c=-
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

DrPhill wrote:Sorry if I cause a slight digression here, but.......

How stable is Delrin? Does it suffer from heat (ie back of the car in full sun)? Does it perish? Does it get brittle? Does it require any special care? Are there chemicals to avoid.

I did a quick web search and turned up very little info, so thanks in advance for any info.
Specs are here:

http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/pdf ... _11_06.pdf
JfW

Post by JfW »

waltsweet wrote:I just found the company below. Convenient, no minimum, and free shipping!

http://www.musicmedic.com/catalog/produ ... rs200.html
IIRC, the minimum is $5 and shipping is free only in the CONUS. I've ordered quite a few things from there and I'm sure they can get more than 1-foot lengths if you email them. They usually respond within two days on all requests. Music Medic is a very respected company within the woodwind repair community.
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

I second Walts suggestion of polycarbonate. It is available in thin walled tubes and the sizing is precise enough that a 1" od tube will slide snugly into a 1"id tube for example, and you can get rods for the fipple plugs. Really takes a lot of time out of the whistle making process, and the solvent welding is easy and super strong. Don't expect to move any of the welded parts later.

I order a lot of materials through amazon.com believe it or not. A prime membership pays for itself in a week for me, I get free 2 day shipping on most of my orders... Well worth it. I also have ordered from mcmasters as someone else mentioned, and if you need aluminum, a place called aircraft spruce has a great variety for great prices.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Delrin makes an excellent whistle. It is dense, scratch dent resistant, with a matt finish it looks like black wood.
To make whistles it has to be machined vary close for a friction fit. It will not accept any adhesive.

''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086