A couple of questions

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Reel whistler

Post by Reel whistler »

I have played whistle for almost 2 years now and I've been to the all ireland fleadh and all but at Scoil Eisge I got inspired to pick up flute ........ i was just had a couple of questions about the wooden key of d flutes... is there any where i can get one for a good price like $150-$350 (i no this is very little but i am just a beginner) Everyone suggests Grinter flutes ( sp?) but they seem to be outragously expensive .......... i am also looking right now at a seery (sp?) flute ...... I also e-mailed eric kepple of earth sounds about a beginner rose wood flute and found out it was only about $135.... but is this possible? i have never heard of him or his company before so i was just wondering if anyone here could give me some feed back ?
thanks soo much !

(also wondering if anyone has the notes for "The Long Note (for whistle) and if so could you post them ?) cant find them anywhere .

Thanks so much ! I appreciate it .
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I'd suggest either a Dixon polymer or an Olwell Bamboo. Both are terrific instruments, very nearly as good as the big shot flutes, and are within your price range.

If you have smaller hands you might do better with the Dixon.

Good Luck,

Doc

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doc Jones on 2003-02-26 15:11 ]</font>
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Reel....take it from someone who followed your path....DON'T buy a cheap wooden flute. It is probably made in Pakistan, will crack in 6 months, not be playable.

I don't know much about other polymer flutes, but I just got an M&E, and have it from many sources that the money spent on it was well worth it, and that its a great beginner flute. The basic model sells at the top of the dollar range you mentioned.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses here, but I was highly disappointed by the 'wonderful bargain' I picked up in Ireland three years ago.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'll add another post for a Dixon 3 piece polymer. Dixon makes cheaper single or 2 piece PVC flutes, but they are not a true conical bore flute like your expensive wooden ones. M&E, Dixon, and Seery all make highly regarded polymer flutes for between about $190 (Dixon) up to nearly $400 (Seery or M&E depending on the options).

If you really want wood, I have a nice wood fife from Ralph Sweet (Sweetheart flute company), but others have reported you really need to try his flutes because of variations in quality. I think his run $250 for non-rosewood (maple, apple, walnut) or $350 for rosewood.

Personally, try a search on this board and see what comes up for "cheap flute" or "beginner flute".

I do love my Dixon though, and I really, really like the sound clips of M&Es I've heard, and the same is true of the Seery stuff I've heard.
U2

Post by U2 »

Opinion: I suggest avoiding the Dixon two-piece ABS, cylindrical bore, plastic flute, which sells in the neighborhood of fifty dollars US. It will not give you any indication regarding whether you want to pursue this instrument. The embouchure hole is inferior to virtually anything, and the finger holes are large and widely spaced. Dixon may make other worthy products, but I was sorely disappointed in the above.

edited for clarity

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: U2 on 2003-02-26 17:37 ]</font>
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

oooh! ooooh! (jumping up and down) I volunteer to go play/select a Sweetheart for ya! Haven't been to Ralphs place in a couple of months and I really had a great time visiting!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
carrie

Post by carrie »

Alan Mount makes a PVC flute that is excellent, and an outstanding value at $50.

http://www.geocities.com/zozm/

I highly recommend these flutes. I have one myself, as do a number of other C&F'ers.

Carol
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks for the tip Carol,I was looking for something inexpensive to take kayaking with me.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Oh yeah, don't get the cheap Dixon get the good one (Conical bore tooled from a solid piece of polymer about $189)

M&E also makes a terrific Rudall Rose style in polymer.

The polymer flutes seem to hold their value very well so you could learn to toot and then upgrade to a wooden flute when you're ready. Chances are though, you'll keep the polymer anyway.

Cheers,

Doc
Reel whistler

Post by Reel whistler »

Is there a web site for dixon's ? and what exactly is a "polymer fulte" and any more suggestions about buying from a seller that is practically unknow? it is a rose wood fulte? and am i just better off going with a company such as seery?

thanks for all the kind help full replies
Reel whistler

Post by Reel whistler »

Ps : The one from the unknown seller in rosewood is off of e-bay and i saw a post farther down that the only time u see both black wood and rose wood is on e-bay and its normally "one of the pakastanie horrors" does that mean general people have had bad luck on the e-bay flutes? also if you could check out the site and let me no what you think about buying one of these flutes for irish playing (im clueless) i believe it was earthsounds.com

thanks again
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

RW, you might want to check out M & E's website for a good set of info on polymer whistles. Available in the US from http://www.gaeliccrossings.com, as well.

Also, another good site that compares the sounds of wood and polymer flutes is
http://www.flutesite.com which is run by a member of this board.

Have fun!
Jef
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

First off, buying from an unknown buyer a flute that is simply listed as rosewood is very risky. There is a high probability that it is a Pakistani made poor quality instrument. The seller should be able to name the maker unless we're talking about an antique. There's my $.02 on that issue.

As for polymer, we're talking about Delrin here for Seery and Dixon. For M&E, it's some special PVC material. These are not cheap, plastic flutes, but machined high quality non-wooden flutes that are made in the same manner as wooden flutes. The polymers are in solid blocks, and they use a lathe to make the flutes just like they would if it was made of blackwood.

Here is a link to Dixon's polymer & wood flutes:

http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/flutes.html

The best price for a Dixon polymer is at The Whistle Shop (unless you're in Europe then S&H would add a lot to the cost):

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/o ... olymer.htm

Wooden flutes are great (do not take this as a flame against wooden flutes...I really like my wooden fife), but I like some of the advantages of polymer. Great sound (I personally can't tell a recording of a Seery, Dixon or M&E from a wooden flute when the player is experienced), basically indestructable with no fear of cracks developing, no need to break it in slowly, you can play outdoors in 5 below and not worry about it, and you can play for short bursts of time without needing to clean & oil it. For me, with a harsh climate and a four year old who interrupts frequently, polymer is the best choice. YMMV. :smile:
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Wooden flutes are great (do not take this as a flame against wooden flutes...I really like my wooden fife), but I like some of the advantages of polymer. Great sound (I personally can't tell a recording of a Seery, Dixon or M&E from a wooden flute when the player is experienced), basically indestructable with no fear of cracks developing, no need to break it in slowly, you can play outdoors in 5 below and not worry about it, and you can play for short bursts of time without needing to clean & oil it. For me, with a harsh climate and a four year old who interrupts frequently, polymer is the best choice. YMMV. :smile:
Well, what makes a great flute is a combination of the material used and what the maker puts into it; almost across the board, the best makers work in wood. That said, a few of the polymers are well-made flutes and can be made to sound respectably like decent wooden one. While I'd argue that they in any way match a good wooden flute, the Grinter originally mentioned, an Olwell, Hamilton, etc., there are definite advantages over them in terms of durability and cost and, since this original question was from a beginner wanting to spend less for a starter flute, I think your take on polymers is a sound one.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Gordon,

I'll in no way disagree with you, except (and you probably guessed an "except" was coming... :smile: ) to say that from what I've read in various places the makers of the conical polymer flutes have not been making flutes nearly as long as Olwell, Hamilton, Grinter, etc...(although I could be wrong about Desi Seery). Also, all the "big three" polymer flute makers also make wooden flutes. Perhaps time will improve their flutes to the point they are as highly regarded as the finest wooden flutes.

I can't recall whose flute site had a nice interview with Matt Molloy, and in it he talks about what great flutes Patrick Olwell makes now but how Olwell had to work up to the level of instrument he currently makes. So even Mr. Olwell wasn't deemed perfect from the start!

Eric