And the award for World's Ugliest Flute goes to....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: And the award for World's Ugliest Flute goes to....

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Nanohedron wrote:
Othannen wrote:I'm always (or most times) very careful in remembering to use "I think" when I give an opinion.
I agree that those two simple words can make all the difference. :)
Even when you leave out "IMO" or "I think", it is always seen as implied to the discerning reader, especially when it comes to esthetics. It's hard to be less or more than opinionated about the subject.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:...it is always seen as implied to the discerning reader, especially when it comes to esthetics.
Always? Not in my world. Tell me you haven't encountered people who saw their aesthetic opinions as absolutes. I certainly have, here, and in the 3D as well. And if I have, that means others have come across it as well. So when it comes to forestalling any confusion and ire while writing in message boards, I don't think it's too much to ask that people consider some basic, simple things in how they present their opinions.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Othannen wrote:I'm always (or most times) very careful in remembering to use "I think" when I give an opinion.
I agree that those two simple words can make all the difference. :)
I think ...

... and I've wisely deleted the rest. :wink:

PS I don't think they'd have helped ...
Oh, I can still read "that that is a load of utter bollocks." :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I'm just wondering where people are finding tables that have legs like this flute.

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:I'm just wondering where people are finding tables that have legs like this flute.

table legs by Azrael-13, on Flickr
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I.D.10-t made a comment on page one about the thinning of the head at the embouchure hole on the flute in question. That was one of the first things that I thought about when I saw the photo, as well. Function drives design, no matter how much you like turning off wood, so, ideally, I think that you wouldn't want the wood cut away at the embouchure in order to have a deeper, standard size embouchure chimney for a more powerful flute. The thinning of the head, if at all, should be away from the embouchure hole for this reason. Perhaps this is why some of the ebay buyer's feedback of the McCarty flutes have described the tone/volume of the flute as being soft. Although, in all fairness to Mr. McCarty, that didn't stop the reviewers from liking the flutes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Ah, so McCarty made it! I didn't even catch that for some reason until now.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:shock: :really: :shock:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Nanohedron wrote:
Ah, so McCarty made it! I didn't even catch that for some reason until now.
Elementary, My dear Watson. Aesthetics will out! :thumbsup:

Bob :D
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jim Stone wrote:I think Sweetheart flutes look good enough and sound better and are a great value. I've played
lots of em, own several (especially in higher keys) and think they have the elegance of
woody simplicity.
Julia Delaney wrote:Seconded.
Dissented from... (whistles as well as flutes). Whenever I've tried them out (in shops/at festival stalls/other people's), I've always thought them, especially the older ones, unattractive at best, relatively crudely made and of little musical utility - until some significant improvement in some models in very recent years. I certainly would never have bought any of the older ones and haven't been particularly impressed by more recent ones, save for surprise at the marked improvement, which has reached a point where I might not actively advise against some of them if asked for an opinion, though I think there are better things available in the same price ranges.

While dishing out opinions, I too think the McCarty ash flute which is the main subject here is rather ugly - and would be even uglier as a table leg than as a flute!

P.S. I hadn't pegged my old friend Ben as such a leg man! Funny what he turns up! (Hollow laugh??? ;-))
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I.D.10-t wrote:I'm just wondering where people are finding tables that have legs like this flute.

Perhaps McCarty aspires to greatness and just hasn't gotten his technique refined yet.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Next you'll be saying the rings use to hold napkins and the keys once were spoons!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jemtheflute wrote:
Jim Stone wrote:I think Sweetheart flutes look good enough and sound better and are a great value. I've played
lots of em, own several (especially in higher keys) and think they have the elegance of
woody simplicity.
Julia Delaney wrote:Seconded.
Dissented from... (whistles as well as flutes). Whenever I've tried them out (in shops/at festival stalls/other people's), I've always thought them, especially the older ones, unattractive at best, relatively crudely made and of little musical utility - until some significant improvement in some models in very recent years. I certainly would never have bought any of the older ones and haven't been particularly impressed by more recent ones, save for surprise at the marked improvement, which has reached a point where I might not actively advise against some of them if asked for an opinion, though I think there are better things available in the same price ranges.
Just dissenting from your dissent to say that, while I don't find them especially handsome, mine's always played well (when I'm actually practising flute!) and I honestly don't think there was much else at all (let alone to challenge it) at its price point when I got it (a long time ago)!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Holmes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Holmes »

an seanduine wrote:Elementary, My dear Watson. Bob :D
I think that's my line... -
All key-less flutes are ugly - excepting those very early renaissance or Cloos type fifes, even baroque flutes have the good grace to have one key (Eb). No need to reply, you wont persuade me otherwise...
Holmes Mooney & Wood play; The Laird Of McNabb - http://www.box.net/shared/5tx0jxtd7cbbgjfsjkp0 (Holmes McNaughton D Blackwood eight key).
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
Save your hot air for blowing down your flute
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

Subjectivity is ....

looking at some of the commentators' avatars....and realising there's not much point in talking about ugly flutes :lol: