Whistle Builders Forum??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottie
antispam: No

Whistle Builders Forum??

Post by scottie »

I wonder if Dale has thought or if anyone else has thought about having a Forum section for Whistle Builders to exchange information about how to build whistles and how to resolve issues that cause problems to builders trying to produce a pure sounding instrument? A place where they can also share not only techniques but also tools used in making whistles whether the whistle is made of metal, wood, etc. Therefore, people desiring to build a whistle could have a group of people that they could pose questions to for assistance. I wonder if anyone else on the forum would like to have a forum of this type ?

Scottie
Tommy

Re: Whistle Builders Forum??

Post by Tommy »

Somewhere in the archives of links there is such a forum. I lost the link when my previous computer crashed.
There were many whistle makers there. I only remember it as ''The Green Board''. Perhaps someone else knows where it is?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Denny

Post by Denny »

there is this one.... but it's blue, now
http://simpleflutes.aforumfree.com

there was a green one... called Celtic somethin', that faded away a few years back. It was not a builders forum.

you could poke about on yahoo.com, there are quite a few there. I don't know of a whistle centric one but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

We do get forum requests from time to time. I think our feeling is that we don't want to subdivide things into whistle builders - not to mention flute builders, uilleann pipes builders, non-uilleann builders, etc. Instrument making is a specialized sub-interest, and we want to keep our instrument-centric forums of general relevance to everyone, including players, collectors, and makers.

We might consider a sticky topic on whistle building if there's enough interest.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Tommy wrote:Somewhere in the archives of links there is such a forum. I lost the link when my previous computer crashed.
There were many whistle makers there. I only remember it as ''The Green Board''. Perhaps someone else knows where it is?
I believe you are referring to the independent website that was called Celtic Crossings, but a quick websearch tells me that it no longer exists now.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

yeah, dat's it!! Crossings, passed on years ago, it did.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Denny wrote:you could poke about on yahoo.com, there are quite a few there. I don't know of a whistle centric one but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one.
And there is one. The seldom used yahoo whistle makers group started by Daniel Bingamon.

For as often as the topic of whistle making comes up, the C&F Whistle forum works well I think.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

A bit tangental but what did you expect? Sometimes I ponder if whistle makers ever consider the marketing aspects of whistle making. There is a lot of discussion that goes on about what folks want in the sound of a whistle and that's good. Some folks buy whistles on just how they look. A lot of medium and high end whistles out there that look classy. But what I always wondered about is why the gateway whistles that are available to the masses tend to look like children's toys. I wonder if there were serious looking whistles among the gateway whistles if adults would buy the whistles for themselves. I also expect that there is a tradition of whistles looking like they do and maybe more folks like how whistles look. I rarely have my finger on the pulse of the general public.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

mutepointe wrote:Sometimes I ponder if whistle makers ever consider the marketing aspects of whistle making.
That's kinda harsh, don't you think? I feel that some markers are doing a pretty good job considering the size of the potential "adult" market.
mutepointe wrote:But what I always wondered about is why the gateway whistles that are available to the masses tend to look like children's toys.
I don't think that is universally the case for Clarke's and Gens as examples. I saw what I thought were adults playing these things when I was young so they looked like "adult" instruments to me. Granted the painted Sweetones, Megs, Acorns, etc. have more of a youth appeal...

So what makes them look childish to you Mutepoint? Just wondering how you got to that thought not lookin' for a quarrel or anything.

Gotta go, local festival still going on and I want to see some adults playing chidlren's toys. Seamus Egan played a Bb Generation last evening, sounded real good.

Feadoggie
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I didn't mean to sound harsh. So add some gentleness when reading my comments.

I never saw anyone playing these as a child. I never saw anyone playing these until I was an old man. I remember seeing the cards full of whistles in the local music store from the time I was a child. The cards looked old and dusty, like no one had touched them for ages. The colors of the fipples are what makes them look like children's toys to me.

I never saw a Clarke for sale. At my local store, they're tucked away very orderly in the corner of a display case and they're in boxes. So unless a person knew what they were looking for, a person wouldn't know they were there. There are also some whistles in a counter top box at my local music store. They're a no name brand, they're black, they're shrink wrapped and they're right next to the cash register saying buy me, buy me. More people will buy these no names than the other brands in the store. That's what I'm talking about marketing.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

I would love to see a sub-forum for whistle building. I have lots of questions and have also learned some tricks that I would be delighted to share. I'm afraid whistle building questions often get hijacked into another topic. Bring on the sub-forum - pretty please?
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Why not add Whistle Making topics to the "Trad-Tech" page? All the talk of Mics/gadgets/etc. would fit right in with lathes/acoustics/designs/etc. of flute/whistle making. Tech is Tech after all, isn't it? (I've posted a suggestion on the Trad-Tech board. chime in with your support?)
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
osage59
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by osage59 »

I think this is an idea worth pursuing :thumbsup:
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

mutepointe wrote:I never saw anyone playing these as a child. I never saw anyone playing these until I was an old man. I remember seeing the cards full of whistles in the local music store from the time I was a child. The cards looked old and dusty, like no one had touched them for ages. The colors of the fipples are what makes them look like children's toys to me.
Ok, fair enough then. And I think I understand your perspective too. I do think it may come down to how and when an individual is initially introduced to the whistle. And I do agree that the factory makers have young ones in mind in their product distribution. Like the black and tan ones that say Guinness on them - that's the Joe Camel marketing school of thought.

But I also see how makers market directly through whistle workshop instructors, music teachers and schools, CCE etc. too. That's a model that's been around for centuries.

So I just spent three days at a festival and your observation was in my mind today as I watched folks enjoying the music. A couple of things struck me. One is that in my experience, the whistle and Irish music are a social phenomena to me and a family thing too - a tradition passed down in the family. I was reminded of the realtionship between Irish music and family lineage all weekend long. Francis McPeak (the 4th), Aiden Burke, Maeve and Bernadette Flanagan, the Makem Brothers, etc. etc.. All were introduced to the music as kids and carry on the family tradition in their music.

I was aware of the music as a kid but my parents played "American" music so I had to find the Irish music myself. My grandparents helped me. And Tommy Makem was perhaps the first person I saw playing the whistle. Then as time went on I saw other Irish groups playing the music on the whistle. So I regarded playing whistle as a thing grown-ups played, like flutes, fiddles, boxes and banjos. And you really had to look to find a whistle in a music store. It would be interesting to see how others first came to the whistle and how they perceived it.
retired wrote:I would love to see a sub-forum for whistle building. I have lots of questions and have also learned some tricks that I would be delighted to share. I'm afraid whistle building questions often get hijacked into another topic. Bring on the sub-forum - pretty please?
I think we've been through this before - several times. Remember WTT - Whistle Tech Topics? There's nothing stopping folks from posting whistle making topics right here. And all topics are likely to get hijacked along the way.
Thomas-Hastay wrote:Why not add Whistle Making topics to the "Trad-Tech" page? All the talk of Mics/gadgets/etc. would fit right in with lathes/acoustics/designs/etc. of flute/whistle making. Tech is Tech after all, isn't it?
Guitar/mandolin/bouzouki making and whistle/flute/fife making tools and methods differ quite a bit in my personal instrument making experience. I'd say leave the whistle making stuff here.

Or bring the Yahoo Whistlemakers forum back from its slumber.

Feadoggie
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MTGuru wrote:We do get forum requests from time to time. I think our feeling is that we don't want to subdivide things into whistle builders - not to mention flute builders, uilleann pipes builders, non-uilleann builders, etc. Instrument making is a specialized sub-interest, and we want to keep our instrument-centric forums of general relevance to everyone, including players, collectors, and makers.

We might consider a sticky topic on whistle building if there's enough interest.
Hmmmmmm....... Always MTGuru makes a good point. Looking at the stickys we have now.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086