My top 3 favourite flute players

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keelhauled
antispam: No

My top 3 favourite flute players

Post by keelhauled »

1 Mike Mc Goldrick
2 Kevin Crawford
3 Dave Sheridan

They change places in the ranks every so often but never drop out. Is there anyone better out there I should be listening to ?
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: My top 3 favourite flute players

Post by BrendanB »

I don't think the question should be whether there are better players out there. There are certainly many other great flute players that you should listen to beyond these three musicians. Given that Dave's style is fairly different from both Kevin and Mike's, I would imagine you could find other players you would enjoy.

B
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

I certainly like the three above, but really have learned a lot from listening to:
Roger Sherlock
Kevin Henry
Patsy Hanley
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
MarkP
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MarkP »

It varies from week to week, this week (in order of being alive) maybe...
Catherine McEvoy
Peter Horan
John McKenna

...but last week Mike Rafferty I guess
Mark
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by smoro »

It´s surprising that there is a kind of cool fashion consisting in not to mention Matt Molloy in questions like the one in this topic.
Nevertheless I vote for him.

1-MATT MOLLOY
2-Jean Michel Veillon
3-Seamus Egan (When he was flute player)

Regards.
S.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

Oops, I didn't realise there was a right/wrong answer to the question.

Let a hundred flowers blossom and a hundred schools of thought contend... :wink:
Mark
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Three is a number not big enough to name all the players who inspired and influenced me. There are so many great fluters, each of them in their own respect, and for me, reducing the lot to a top three ranking somehow disrespects the awesomeness of those not included in the list due to some subjective opinion or feeling. After all music is not about being "the best" at something...at least to my understanding.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Gabriel wrote:Three is a number not big enough to name all the players who inspired and influenced me. There are so many great fluters, each of them in their own respect, and for me, reducing the lot to a top three ranking somehow disrespects the awesomeness of those not included in the list due to some subjective opinion or feeling. After all music is not about being "the best" at something...at least to my understanding.

Ah Gabriel,

Now you are in my top three list!
Arbo
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Right now, here's what I listen to most:

--Michael McGoldrick (the new CD, "Aurora", rocks)
--John Wynne (love his "With Every Breath" CD)
--John Skelton ("Double Barreled" with Kieran O'Hare)
--Matt Molloy ("Heathery Breeze", a great CD)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

MarkP wrote:Oops, I didn't realise there was a right/wrong answer to the question.
There isn't, which is why I agree with Gabriel and don't normally do these list things... but still feel like saying I'll never forget Frankie Kennedy!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Well, for years I've listed J-M V, MM and Stephen Preston (baroque flute) as my favourite/most influential fluters, but I wouldn't put them in an order (they're too different!), and although they haven't fallen in my estimation, there are quite a few others I would not consider "inferior" and to whom I may be listening more in recent times - Calum Stewart, Tom McElvogue, Bart Kuijken (baroque again). Others to whom I don't listen as much but rate highly would include McGoldrick, Harry Bradley, FK, Conal O'Grada, Cathal McConnell. Quite a few who have been mentioned above have not made a major impact on me e.g. McEvoy, McKenna, Crawford, Skelton - but that's not because I don't rate what I have heard of them, rather that I just haven't heard all that much (and maybe what I've heard of some of them hasn't necessarily impelled me to go acquire more of their recordings....). I had Dave Sheridan's most recent album for review, and while I definitely liked it, it didn't blow my socks off! (edited to add...) There are also some famous players I've never really had an opportunity to hear (Sherlock, for example) and others whom I have heard a fair bit of and have not been impressed by or downright disliked (Tansey, for eaxample).
Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

I prefer the older players. Patsy Hanley, Peter Horan, Seamus Tansey. Among many others, of course.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

1) Michael Flatley
1) Mike McGoldrick
1) Kevin Crawford

Honorable mentions

1) Catherine Mcevoy
1)Matt Molloy
1) Packie Duigan
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

True that listing top three amazing flute players is somewhat unfair to those not mentioned..
First three names to pop up in my head though, are:
Matt Molloy
Tom Doorley
Conal O'Grada
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

The 3 players I by far have listened the most to are
Harry Bradley
Jean Michel Veillon
Michael McGoldrick

But there are so many players who inspire me. I especially want to mention Desi Wilkinson's "Shady Woods" album, because it is such a unique album.