Nice eBay find

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Nice eBay find

Post by paddler »

I recently won an eBay auction for a flute that was advertised as having no makers marks. It looked good though, and having carefully studied pictures of old flutes posted here, and especially on Terry McGee's website, I was fairly sure that what I was bidding on was a William Hall and Sons flute, so I took a risk and went for it. I ended up winning it for $455.

Well, when the flute arrived last week I was pleased to find out that it actually does have makers marks, and in fact they are on every section. Surprisingly, though, its NOT a William Hall and Sons flute! So much for me being sure!

I was fairly close though - its a Firth Son & Co flute (1863-67) in Cocus wood with 8 German Silver keys. It is in absolutely pristine condition -- well, once I unstuck the tuning slide and did a little cleaning up and repadding. Its a really interesting flute, somewhat like a Firth Hall and Pond, but with larger holes and a noticeably louder and reedier tone. It really honks, even with me playing! It is well in tune with itself at A=440hz with the tuning slide out about 3-4 mm. The A and B are a little sharp, but only 10c or so, and as normal the F# is a little flat, but only 15-20c or so, with the rest of the notes very well in tune. It does not seem to have a flat foot. When compared against a Firth Hall and Pond boxwood flute the C# to D# distance is 3-4 mm shorter. Its tuning seems very much like my modern flutes.

I've added some pictures below to show an overview, various details in close-up, and a side by side comparison with a boxwood Firth Hall and Pond flute that I also was lucky enough to win recently. Hopefully, I have not posted too many pictures here!

This flute is a real beauty! I am very pleased with it and feel grateful to all of you here who have shared your knowledge about these historic instruments. I am especially grateful to Terry McGee for publishing so much valuable information on his website. It is only because of all of you that I was able to get lucky on this. Thank you!

an seanduine

Re: Nice eBay find

Post by an seanduine »

Wow! Well Done! :thumbsup:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
James_Alto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by James_Alto »

What a beautiful set of flutes!

You lucky dog! :party:

Let's hear it then :)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I was actually going to bid on that one myself but in the end I didn't. You got a great deal on that, enjoy it!
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

One of the nicest Firth's I have seen. The larger holes and big sound make it even nicer. Great catch!
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Jealous, jealous, JEALOUS! Nice one!
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Nice, looks as if it was hardly ever played. It's about time. :)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Congratulations! And a nice fettling job you've done too!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Bah-humbug, you beat me out on that one. Would certainly have gone higher if knew something of the sounding length. Also thought from the photos that it was a Wm Hall & Son like my wonderful 6-key version. Still, how many flutes does one need?

Glad it went to a fellow C&F member who will appreciate it. Good to see the previous owners repairs didn't screw it up.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
dontf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by dontf »

Congratulations and thanks for the great pictures!
huffin' and puffin'
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Just to mention that I still have a 4-key Hall with two headjoints (original and one by John Gallagher) for sale in the instruments exchange...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
paddler

Post by paddler »

Latticino wrote: Still, how many flutes does one need?
I know the answer to that one. ... Just one more! :D