McCarty Low D Flute Review

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
an seanduine
antispam: No

Re: McCarty Low D Flute Review

Post by an seanduine »

Hmmm. We seem to have moved on beyond toasting Mr. McCarty's posties. I'm in the States, and am more or less familiar with with the sub $500 list as given, but have no knowledge of some other makers I occasionally hear of such as Dominic Allan, and Fred Rose. Do they fit into this tier?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Dominic Allan offers two piece student flutes for £165 ($268):
These flutes are made from pear wood. They have a two piece construction that includes a tuning slide. The head is fully lined with nickel silver and the conical bored body is treated with a cellulose based wood hardener. After turning the flute is soaked in linseed oil to further seal and protect the wood. These flutes can be used in part exchange for one of my advanced models and are now available "off the peg" (up to 70% of original purchase price, subject to condition). - Price £165+ postage.
I have not read a review on these, but I have no hesitation recommending his flutes, which are of excellent workmanship. I play an eight key blackwood flute made by Dominic (last pic on the page showing his incredible keywork is from my flute). I think this is an incredible good offer for a beginner.

Fred Rose offers two piece flutes for £200 ($325), made from Honduran Rosewood, tapered construction, unlined head, corked tenon.

Ralph Sweet offers two piece flutes for less than $500, made from various types of wood and tapered. These are aimed for students and are well regarded.

I don't understand why David (Julia D.) wants to exclude bamboo flutes. I think if you include cylindrical flutes like Doug's and Hammy's student flute, you should also include quality bamboo flutes. Otherwise say that a student flute should have a tapered bore, full stop.

Re. the OP topic: I don't understand why so many here were so quick to say that they cannot recommend McCarty flutes, without having handled one. I have questions and doubts about these flutes, like many. But that is not sufficient to make a negative endorsement. Give the guy at least the benefit of your doubts, instead of dismissing him outright. That he is not answering back is no reason to assume he is not interested, but all the more reason to hold back with outright condemnation.
voggy_dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by voggy_dog »

Wow.. this is a long-running thread.

I am another purchaser of a McCarty Flute, purported to be made of "American Hickory". I payed a little better than $100 for it, if I remember correctly.

I am NOT an experienced flute player, but I will testify to this: the McCarty flute I have sounds pretty decent to my ears. I've checked it for air leaks, and it holds pretty well. The low "D" comes off as a little weak, but everything else through the second and into the third octave sounds pretty convincing. Compared to my Dixon Duo (Low D), I think it has a much more pleasing "traditional" sound to it. I will agree that the flute looks suspiciously like a number of Mid-East flutes (http://www.mid-east.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=IRFL&eq=&Tp=), but I have not been able to hold them up side-to-side to compare.

The fact that he has virtually no negative feedback on ebay suggests that his instruments are not entirely odious.

Within the next week, I expect to receive shipment of my Casey Burns Standard Flute in mopane, after which I am not expecting that I will miss the McCarty flute very much.

Are there any experienced players who would be interested in getting a "hands-on" with the instrument and hopefully settling the matter? I would be willing to loan it out, or send it on a "tour" for a couple of months to let my senior bretheren weigh in on it.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

voggy_dog wrote:
Are there any experienced players who would be interested in getting a "hands-on" with the instrument and hopefully settling the matter? I would be willing to loan it out, or send it on a "tour" for a couple of months to let my senior bretheren weigh in on it.
Yes there are.

Do it.

:}
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Aye. Do it. And thanks for offering. I don't know if transatlantic will come into it, but I'd be glad to check it out.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

And I'd coat-tail on Jem, if it came over here. Just don't send it to me first. I have bad luck with Customs. :evil:
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

benhall.1 wrote:
Just don't send it to me first. I have bad luck with Customs. :evil:
Is that Customs, as in Customs and Mores? Or Customs as in Excise?
Just checking, since I speak 'Murican and English is a second language to me. :poke:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote:benhall.1 wrote:
Just don't send it to me first. I have bad luck with Customs. :evil:
Is that Customs, as in Customs and Mores? Or Customs as in Excise?
Just checking, since I speak 'Murican and English is a second language to me. :poke:

Bob
This sort of Customs:

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

It's 'cos he's a tricky Customer....... and he should be excised from this thread! :twisted:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

benhall.1 wrote:
This sort of Customs:

That's a just a terrible visual representation of the Boston Tea Party. I mean that's just awful. Look at it... the artist's use of shading is rough and patchy at best, the details are practically non-existent, I mean, solid blocks of color to represent the tea pouring out of the boxes. Really?

Kirk
voggy_dog

Post by voggy_dog »

voggy_dog wrote:
The requests have started to roll in. Looks like the McCarty is going on tour. I am going to honor jemtheflute's request first, as he seems to be a well-respected "cornerstone" member of this forum (not that none of the rest of you are not well respected...but I think Jem has posted a reply of some sort on nearly every thread I've read in this forum, so I suspect everyone knows who he is).
Denny

Post by Denny »

:shock: Jem, how many mirrors for that trick? :lol:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote::shock: Jem, how many mirrors for that trick? :lol:
"Borrowed" a few of yours, Denny, didn't I?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: I's gettin' too old fer 'em :lol: :P
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

benhall.1 wrote:This sort of Customs
Tar, feathers, rope ... sure. But forcing your victim to play a big red ocarina, now that's just cruel.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.