Taking flutes on airplanes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
skyspirit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Taking flutes on airplanes

Post by skyspirit »

Do you think that a flute packed in a carry on in a flute bag (copley in a soft case) would cause issues in the scanners (think that it is a pipe bomb) in say US airports and Australian airports? In general, any airport.

I am going to Austalia tomorrow and am concerned about this.

Experiences.

PS. I will be flying back on gues what date. But all in the US that day.

:D
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Taking flutes on airplanes

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I would carry it as hand luggage and tell them beforehand.

It's not hard unless you make it hard ;)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Aside from information you get here (and a search will find additional information) you may want to look at what the TSA says.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1235.shtm
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

I have taken my flute through airport security many times. I take it in my carry on bag. When going through the scanner, I take it out of the carry on bag, open the case and lay it on top of the plastic bin with my jacket, wallet, keys, phone etc. Never had any issues.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I've never had a problem. Seldom had to chat about what it is.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Just carried my Copley to Los Angeles and back a couple of weeks ago with no problems and brought it to Ireland last March with no problems, either. If they ask, just tell them what it is and play a tune for them. They're mostly NOT ITM fans, so you should probably play "Danny Boy" or "Irish Washerwoman" :lol:

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Just took my Delrin Somers in a soft case as a carry-on from NY to Italy and back with no problems with the TSA.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

'Take me out to the ballgame' will melt the hardest heart.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I've flown with a flute in my carry-on bag countless times and I've never had a problem. Sometimes they ask what it is and sometimes they even want to see it, in which case they run an explosives swab over it and the test comes back negative. You shouldn't have any problems.
Last edited by Unseen122 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Thanks all so far. The tsa site was great. I checked both quantas and southwest sites. Flying to lax and then to brisbane. Looks simple enough. I will let tsa know at screening what it is.

I want to take it. I want to show it to my grandson. He once sang twinkle, twinkle, little star to me on the phone. I think that we can manage that on the flute.

Besides, I really need to practice. :boggle: My teacher says so anyway.

Its the golden graham cereal for my son and the coffee beans for me (coffee is not that great in Brisbane -- instant stuff -- yuck) that I have to worry about. They got dogs for that stuff. :lol: Just kidding. You have to just declare the stuff and security is happy. My son was an airport security in Brisbane once upon a time.

Again thanks all.
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

When travelling to Ireland this year I had three flutes and a u-pipes chanter in my carry-on luggage. Didn't bother to take them out (I never do), I just put my laptop through separately. They only asked why I have so many flutes with me, and after telling them I'm a flutemaker, they were fine. They also said that they'd have me play a tune if shift changeover wasn't a minute away.
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

I got hand checked once because of my flute. It was in a small backpack, with an ipod and headphones right on top of it in another pocket. They checked it with a little swab, and it wasn't a problem getting it through. The guy told me it looked like three sticks of dynamite (flute sections) with a detonator (ipod) wired to it (headphones) when viewed in the x-ray. Just glad they didn't shoot first...

That was quite a few years ago. Haven't had any trouble in recent travels.

-Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Have my flute with me in Paris at the moment. Got pulled aside in Amsterdam and asked to open the case. Only question for me was why I am traveling with such a rare and old flute.
Arbo
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I'm currently travelling with a Seery delrin flute and an O'Brien Rover whistle set. Flutes and whistles haven't raised any questions on this or any other national or international flight I've ever taken --- even when everything's been hand-searched for other reasons.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I have several times been stopped in UK airports on the way out and asked to play every whistle that I have with me. I actually think there's some logic to it. They could be handy little containers for something or other. Or disguised gun barrels or something. At least when it's happened there's been a fiar bit of laughter and amusement at the busy security areas concerned.