La Bottine Souriante

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emilie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Emilie »

Hi!

I was just wondering if any of you are familiar with the Quebecois band 'La Bottine Souriante'. They play Quebecois folk music, which is highly influenced by Irish folk music. They've played at lots of folk music festivals in the US and in Europe, and people who've seen them seem to love them. In Quebec they like to have us believe that they're famous, and I'm trying to find out if that's true!

If you haven't heard of them, they're definitely worth checking out.

Emilie
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Well, I'm not sure if they're "famous", but all Quebecois I know know the band, even people who arent into folk music (like my sister and mother!). So yeah, I'd say they're very popular.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

They're also well-known among lovers of folk music in Belgium, which is quite receptive to a wide range of folk musics, though I've never heard them myself.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

You bet I know about them. I have a couple of their records and I like them very much. I didn't have a lot of trouble tracking them down in Australia but only a couple are easy to get, the others would have to be specially ordered. I don't know how well known they are; no other Australian I've asked had heard of them, not that I've asked very many.

Last year I had a very comfortable pair of shoes, but one was falling apart in the appropriate way. I used to refer to it as my 'bottine souriante', much to the annoyance of a Canadian colleague. I have no idea whether the cause of the annoyance was
1. the fact that my French is better than hers.
2. my lack of respect for the stuffy bourgeois dress code middle managers wish to regard as a virtue
3. the fact that I know anything at all about Canada.

Probably all of the above.

But I digress; listen to this band if you get the chance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wombat on 2003-02-27 09:59 ]</font>
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Well, I've certainly heard of them. I've at least heard them on the radio on our now defunct local folk show. But I live in Ontario which isn't all that far away.

Steve
TomB

Post by TomB »

Sure, I've heard of them- but my grandparents on my Dad's side were originally from Quebec, so I have been there many many times- though not for a long time now.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

They are known in the small but enthusiastic NE Ohio folk scene. I don't have any of their CDs myself - I'll have to rectify that.
Mike
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

Their track "Le lys vert" on the "kind-of-Chieftain" CD "Fire in the kitchen" is the most hilarious, ass-kicking folk recording I have ever heard. Their brass section is really something special. I wish they would come to Germany in the near future!

Christian
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Yeap... know them... saw them playing in the Netherlands 3 years ago at Tilburg Festival and have a CD of them as well. They seem to be touring Europe regularly as I have seen them announced a few times. They are certainly a great live act, worth a travel to see them.
Brigitte
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Long time no hear, Brigitte!

Now, I'm getting to hate this Tilburg thing, depriving Mesquer of your presence...

How's the XT a-thumping ?
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

never heard of them..thanks for the heads up....I recently saw Barachois though.....amazing group!
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

I saw them a few years back in the UK. They were advertised as 'the best band in the world' and though that may be a bit extreme they'd certainly be on the shortlist for the title.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

A little farther south, but still in the Midwester US, never heard of them here, either. Which isn't too surprising, since the requirements for fame around here seem to be steel guitars and nasal singing, or else long hair and varying degrees of unfamiliarity with your instrument.

Anyone know if Amazon or another big web outfit carries their CDs?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I just checked Amazon. They list four Bottine Souriante CDs, all out of stock.
Mike
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

They were here in Medford at the Ginger Rogers Craterian Theater about 6 months ago and they were outrageous. Such an incredibly high energy group and as tight a performance as I've seen. These guys have been together for quite some time and they are worth seeing no matter how far you have to go to get there.
Ronaldo