A question of taste

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: A question of taste

Post by mutepointe »

Are you all happy now?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/1 ... 23464.html

Well, are you?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

ah, but my little friend, you are still here!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:Are you all happy now?

Well, are you?
What a perfectly bizarre question...one is even tempted to believe that you are at your happiest when trading in guilt for its own sake simply in hopes it might work on someone, anyone. But let me ask you a question in return, then, since I think you've earned it: All things considered, can you in all honesty say that you yourself are surprised about the news?

Well, can you?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

As the parent of a teenager who has been viciously bullied, both at school and on-line, I find the fact that this young girl has been forced out of school, just because she sang a silly song, to be absolutely heinous. A little ribbing is one thing, but bullying today goes way, way past that.

I don't put people here joking about the song in the same category. We don't know her; she doesn't know us...it's all just buzz. But when friends and colleagues can't seem to let it drop, to the point where life becomes intolerable, there's something seriously wrong.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I'm not one to belittle bullying, but if this
is the limit to her classmate's antics, I do
wonder if she protests too much:

"When I walk by they'll start singing 'Friday'
in a really nasally voice," she told Nightline.
"Or, you know, they'll be like, 'Oh hey,
Rebecca, guess what day it is?'"

It sounds like the usual aftermath for a
teenager who did something embarrassing
in public.

Actually, it sounds like the cyberbullying
from strangers was worse. That's where the
death threats and pregnancy rumors came
from...

Also note, from a story referenced by huffpost:
ABC news wrote:Now her mother is her teacher, and said she agreed to pull Black out of school because her daughter was being made fun of and so she had more time to focus on her career.
(emphasis mine).
Redwood wrote:I find the fact that this young girl has been forced out of school, just because she sang a silly song
People sing silly songs all the time. Her
problem was that she became famous.
It doesn't always matter why, it's often
hard to retain a normal life after that.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Nanohedron wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Are you all happy now?

Well, are you?
What a perfectly bizarre question...one is even tempted to believe that you are at your happiest when trading in guilt for its own sake simply in hopes it might work on someone, anyone. But let me ask you a question in return, then, since I think you've earned it: All things considered, can you in all honesty say that you yourself are surprised about the news?

Well, can you?
I haven't been surprised in 30 years. Occasionally, I see something new but even that's becoming more rare.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote:
I haven't been surprised in 30 years. Occasionally, I see something new but even that's becoming more rare.
I saw a Giant Swallowtail in my yard this morning. I've seen them many places but never in my yard, I was very surprised and delighted.
Simple pleasures I guess, but I get to see new stuff all the time, still haven't seen the 'Friday' video, I'm saving it for later.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Teen music artist Rebecca Black ...

Black's mother ... pulled her daughter from school ... [to] focus on her career.
That really says it all, doesn't it. A 13-year old girl can't be blamed for any of this. But instead of being allowed to home school, the mother ought to be flogged with a whip.
"But one thing that you can't do is let them stop you from doing what you want to do."
Yes, because a 13-year old's judgment is always excellent, and whatever she wants to do is best, and must go forward. Jeebus Crikes on a cracker. :really:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:
Teen music artist Rebecca Black ...

Black's mother ... pulled her daughter from school ... [to] focus on her career.
That really says it all, doesn't it. A 13-year old girl can't be blamed for any of this. But instead of being allowed to home school, the mother ought to be flogged with a whip.
"But one thing that you can't do is let them stop you from doing what you want to do."
Yes, because a 13-year old's judgment is always excellent, and whatever she wants to do is best, and must go forward. Jeebus Crikes on a cracker. :really:
I know. I know. I think I must be just a sucker for all the saccharine involved in this, because I just get caught up in Rebecca Black's obvious energy and enthusiasm. She really does seem to be looking at the world as a shiny, new place to explore. It resonates hugely with something that's still in me, but which I probably haven't felt to that extent since I was about 15.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

It's Friday!
白飞梦
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

mutepointe wrote:It's Friday!
Now, remind me ... which day is that? And what comes next?
dwest

Post by dwest »

It's only 105 days until Black Friday!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Er ... OK. I'd never heard of Black Friday before. Well, not unless you had meant the day when Britain dropped out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism.

I now see that, in the States, it has something to do with Thanksgiving ... and shopping. Why's it called that? And where does it come from?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Frid ... hopping%29

Imagine a zombie invasion, mindless bodies heading into stores mumbling "sales, sales". Usually a few trampling deaths and borderline riots. Lines of people sleeping in tents the night before to be the first in the door hoping to swarm what ever the "must buy gift" of the year is before others get to it. It is the start of the Christmas consumer shopping spree that continues until the Christmas return/exchange week.

Pick and choose your explanation for black Friday's name, for retailers it is when they operate in the black, for the retail workers, it is it is a dreadful time.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."